• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I'm starting a new dumbbell weight training program tonight. 10 exercises designed for a full body workout. 3x a week over the next 10 months.

What types of gains are you looking for? Do you consider yourself seriously out of shape? And how many different dumbbell weights do you have?

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Walked 5 miles each day while working at my walking desk but some in the house make it difficult.

image.jpg1_zpstg8boy5z.jpg

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Tonight is push-up night, but we went for a 1.5 mile walk when the Mrs got home from work. Did 500 push-ups in 1 hour Friday, and 620 Monday in about an hour and a quarter. Hoping for at least 500 tonight.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    What types of gains are you looking for? Do you consider yourself seriously out of shape? And how many different dumbbell weights do you have?

No I don't consider myself seriously out of shape, but I probably have about 20-30 pounds of fat to shed. My stamina is good and I'm moderately active.

Short term goal is to start building muscle memory and get into a routine. I'm beginning a 3 month starter plan which will lead into more comprehensive progressive resistance training. My main goal is to build lean muscle and ultimately bring out an athletic build and get down to 10-15% body fat.

I have a membership to the YMCA, so I have access to the full range of dumbbells and barbells.

I do light cardio 5 days a week. Strength training is 3 days a week.

I also now have a much more comprehensive nutrition program in place.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    No I don't consider myself seriously out of shape, but I probably have about 20-30 pounds of fat to shed. My stamina is good and I'm moderately active.

Short term goal is to start building muscle memory and get into a routine. I'm beginning a 3 month starter plan which will lead into more comprehensive progressive resistance training. My main goal is to build lean muscle and ultimately bring out an athletic build and get down to 10-15% body fat.

I have a membership to the YMCA, so I have access to the full range of dumbbells and barbells.

I do light cardio 5 days a week. Strength training is 3 days a week.

I also now have a much more comprehensive nutrition program in place.

Oh, then you should be fine. 20 -30, is nothing. My only suggestion to you, is to buy a small notebook, and write down your workout routines: reps, sets, weight, and keep a strict regimen. Most people that "workout" (notice the quotes), can't tell you what their workout was a week ago, so it's impossible to gauge progress based and know what "works." If your feeling really committed, log your food and calories too.
    Oh, and don't get caught up spending hours in a gym. A person shouldn't spend more than an hour and a half MAX, hitting weights in a gym... and I'm being VERY generous with that amount of time.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    So today was a bust a** day knowing my massage was tomorrow. Aaaand I got a text saying she sprained/broke her ankle on the stairs. Weird that this exact thing happened to a friend 4 days ago where she broke her ankle. I told her, if she were a guy, I'd tell her to rub some dirt on it and walk it off. We laughed,but seriously I hope for her sake it's just a sprain. Now I sit here extra sore and wait on an a.m. text to see if I have an appointment or not...I'm not holding my breath.

So, do I resume at the gym as usual and push through it...probably.
    Went to the range today and got a text that I could get my massage later today because she only has a sprain. Hydrating tonight and hydrating/relaxing tomorrow to let it sink in. Got trouble areas taken care of. Plus, with firing over 1,500 rounds in less than a week, she took care of the soreness in my dominant shooting hand. We also talked about her getting her LCTH, classes, and such. Another member for sure.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Oh, then you should be fine. 20 -30, is nothing. My only suggestion to you, is to buy a small notebook, and write down your workout routines: reps, sets, weight, and keep a strict regimen. Most people that "workout" (notice the quotes), can't tell you what their workout was a week ago, so it's impossible to gauge progress based and know what "works." If your feeling really committed, log your food and calories too.
    Oh, and don't get caught up spending hours in a gym. A person shouldn't spend more than an hour and a half MAX, hitting weights in a gym... and I'm being VERY generous with that amount of time.

20150401_223627_zpspgfscbx_edit_1427942440865_zpszi9ocwx8.jpg

Food journal on the left. Workout charts on the right. I also use the My Fitness Pal app to track food and cardio. It might be overkill, but I plan to track pretty much everything over the next year.

Having a plan and tracking progress has finally gotten me to commit. I've made more gains in the past few weeks than I had in the past two years.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    20150401_223627_zpspgfscbx_edit_1427942440865_zpszi9ocwx8.jpg

Food journal on the left. Workout charts on the right. I also use the My Fitness Pal app to track food and cardio. It might be overkill, but I plan to track pretty much everything over the next year.

Having a plan and tracking progress has finally gotten me to commit. I've made more gains in the past few weeks than I had in the past two years.

Boom! You don't need my advice, you already know whats up

pfinley82

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frankton
    I would agree. You can get away with low calories now while you still have a lot of reserves stored up, but as you continue to lose and increase training you will have to ramp up your calorie intake or your energy level will drop off a cliff.

It's not all about the number of calories, but the type of calories too.
    I take a daily multi

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Did 505 pushups last night, and 35 minutes of elliptical tonight.

As of last Fridays weigh in, I'm down 46 pounds from late December. Went from size 38 pants to size 34 (just got a few pairs today). Me and the wife are doing our first 5K next weekend, and a 10K in May. I'm only 8 lbs away from my old Baseball weight, but I can't bust out quite as many pushups as I could back then......yet.

So far, I've reached and exceeded all of my goals. I just recently decided to reset my weight goal to 222, which is what I weighed most of my adult years playing baseball, I gave that up at age 31, and I'm 49 now. I feel pretty good about where I'm at physically, and am surprised, and kinda pissed off at myself for getting so far out of shape to begin with. I don't like to say "never", but....never again.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Ok. It's been 4 days since my first weight training session and man am I still sore.

I've been sore from workouts before, but this was closer to crippling, can't walk, it hurts to sleep kind of pain.

It's not as bad today as it was Friday and Saturday, but I'm still struggling. I hope this is the last day and I can get back into it without this much pain from the next couple of workouts.

My goal is to lift three days a week, but I've been barely been able to stand or get dressed, let alone pick up a dumbbell.

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    Started running again for the first time in 20 years or more. Used to really enjoy 10k's and half-marathons, but don't know how the old body will react these days. Did 3 miles this morning and didn't feel too bad. Now if the knees and feet hold up ........ :dunno:

Top Bottom