• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Joined Anytime Fitness last month and have been going 6xs a week with my girlfriend. It feels so good to do weights again after too long of a hiatus.

Found a good 4 day split and added/modified things here and there to suit me better. I'm already noticing some muscle firming up, and my girlfriend has lost some weight as well.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Got my first bar muscle-up last night, pretty stoked about that. Next up, ring muscle-ups. Also looking forward to a nice 5 mile trail run Saturday morning in Bluffton.

Any of you runners use a GPS watch to track mile splits and pace? Any recommendations or things to look for/avoid? Thinking of picking one up to help with my half-marathon training this year.

There are some free apps that do and work well if you're willing to run with your phone. I've always either gmapped the route I was going to take and wore a watch or in the case of trails and such I never really paid attention as your splits aren't going to be anything much worth measuring.

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    There are some free apps that do and work well if you're willing to run with your phone. I've always either gmapped the route I was going to take and wore a watch or in the case of trails and such I never really paid attention as your splits aren't going to be anything much worth measuring.
    I'll check a few out. I'm guessing I won't like carrying my phone, but it'd definitely be cheaper to start with. I'm positive that if I mapped out a route with mile markers, I'd forget to hit the lap button when I needed to. :facepalm:

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Started the Advocare 10 Day Herbal Cleanse this morning. This will be my 3rd time doing this. I've posted a recommendation of this earlier in this thread and still stand by it. This has been great for dropping a few pounds of gut weight and size. One of the best ways to describe the feeling at the conclusion is a feeling of your gut feeling light and not as tight. Not to fear, it is all just pills and a powder drink in the a.m. and pills in the p.m. with an encouragement to eat healthier during this period.

This is all coming from a former skeptic :tinfoil: . It has worked for my wife and me. If you need a representative, I can recommend Bre https://www.advocare.com/100910286/Store/CatalogView.aspx?id=TS
    Is it cheap? Not really. Does it work? Yes.
    (side note: if you do this, I recommend the Peaches & Cream as I hear the other flavor's taste leaves much to be desired)

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Depends what you want a GPS watch to do.

You can get a cheap one for under $100 these days, and they're not bad as long as you don't have excessive expectations. Battery life won't be super long, but are you really going to go run for 15 hours (I do.....). The accuracy of accumulated mileage won't be perfect either. But do you really care if you ran 10 feet short of a mile for your splits (that makes a big difference for me, but probably not for someone running 10 minute per mile pace). The cheap ones are also not going to be as light and use the newest technology. But again, does that really matter? They'll also likely not have as many features, but all those features are pretty worthless anyway (what you really need is time, distance, lap split, current mile pace, and avg total pace).

You can get expensive ones too. Expensive these days either means light and small or a bit heavier with more features. You need to figure out what you need it for. They're specialized for different needs. Some of the bigger ones have long battery life (great for ultra marathoners). The bigger ones also have things like altimeters, which sounds stupid.....but if you need accuracy on trails, it is worth it. Trails roll and twist, and GPS watches don't update fast enough to cover the quick changes. Altimeters make that possible. Or you can get something nice and light that tracks well on the road.

My favorite brands are Garmin and Suunto for the expensive ones. Garmin and Timex for the cheap ones.

Figure out what your budget and needs are. Research, and make a good decision.

I'll check a few out. I'm guessing I won't like carrying my phone, but it'd definitely be cheaper to start with. I'm positive that if I mapped out a route with mile markers, I'd forget to hit the lap button when I needed to. :facepalm:

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Started the Advocare 10 Day Herbal Cleanse this morning. This will be my 3rd time doing this. I've posted a recommendation of this earlier in this thread and still stand by it. This has been great for dropping a few pounds of gut weight and size. One of the best ways to describe the feeling at the conclusion is a feeling of your gut feeling light and not as tight. Not to fear, it is all just pills and a powder drink in the a.m. and pills in the p.m. with an encouragement to eat healthier during this period.

This is all coming from a former skeptic :tinfoil: . It has worked for my wife and me. If you need a representative, I can recommend Bre https://www.advocare.com/100910286/Store/CatalogView.aspx?id=TS
    Is it cheap? Not really. Does it work? Yes.
    (side note: if you do this, I recommend the Peaches & Cream as I hear the other flavor's taste leaves much to be desired)

What powder drink did you have with it? I'm doing a good job building muscle and loosing a few pounds, but my gut still looks the same.

I may give it a try.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    What powder drink did you have with it? I'm doing a good job building muscle and loosing a few pounds, but my gut still looks the same.

I may give it a try.

It's the "Herbal Cleanse System Metabolic Cleansing System" in the link. The powder is a fiber dietary supplement. It is a package. I was told the peaches & cream flavor is the one to go with. It still tastes like a powder drink, so I pound it.

I lost weight and a pants size the 1st round while not exercising every day, not changing my diet, and throwing some bourbon back each night while taking this system. Now, I am eating healthier and working out daily this round and hope to see a significant change.

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    Depends what you want a GPS watch to do.

You can get a cheap one for under $100 these days, and they're not bad as long as you don't have excessive expectations. Battery life won't be super long, but are you really going to go run for 15 hours (I do.....). The accuracy of accumulated mileage won't be perfect either. But do you really care if you ran 10 feet short of a mile for your splits (that makes a big difference for me, but probably not for someone running 10 minute per mile pace). The cheap ones are also not going to be as light and use the newest technology. But again, does that really matter? They'll also likely not have as many features, but all those features are pretty worthless anyway (what you really need is time, distance, lap split, current mile pace, and avg total pace).

You can get expensive ones too. Expensive these days either means light and small or a bit heavier with more features. You need to figure out what you need it for. They're specialized for different needs. Some of the bigger ones have long battery life (great for ultra marathoners). The bigger ones also have things like altimeters, which sounds stupid.....but if you need accuracy on trails, it is worth it. Trails roll and twist, and GPS watches don't update fast enough to cover the quick changes. Altimeters make that possible. Or you can get something nice and light that tracks well on the road.

My favorite brands are Garmin and Suunto for the expensive ones. Garmin and Timex for the cheap ones.

Figure out what your budget and needs are. Research, and make a good decision.
    Good advice, thank you sir.

First day back in the gym yesterday after a week off re-building homes in Arkansas. Back squats, weighted lunges, and wall ball shots were all a nice little shock to the hips and legs. Back to normal this week with endurance training tonight.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Gut fat isn't going to be lost training. It's going to be lost in the kitchen. No secret to it. Eat clean and eat right.

I've had too many beers this winter. Spring time, I'm going to have about 8 pounds to lose to get back to racing fitness.

And I'm still battling achilles scar tissue that built up and never got taken care of. It's not pleasant right now. Takes about 2 miles to break loose running, and it's slowly being broken down with painful massages.

I may give it a try.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    Yesterday was the last day of being on the Whole30 diet. I'm at 155lbs now. When I started, I was 165lbs. I wasn't even trying to lose anymore weight, just wanted to eat clean, with no sugar.

I'm still working on deadlifting 300 lbs. I WILL reach that number.

I went from 198 to 160 in 4 months by simply cutting calories and changing what I consume. I am 65 and now at or below my teenage weight. BMI is into top third of acceptible range and fat % is into lower portion of acceptible range. I despise exercising but am now SLOWLY beginning some cardio ( goal of 150 minutes of moderate per week ) and have bought some weights to begin strength training goal of averaging twice per week. A worn out body, severe arthritis, etc. is no longer an excuse to being sedentary. Now if I could convince my wife to join me & quit making/ buying/ consuming all the treats & deserts it would be much easier. Also having a partner to hold me accountable for my actions ( or lack there of ) would help.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I signed up with a personal trainer. I have changed my diet dramatically, and track meals using the my fitness pal app. Diet really makes a difference. You can cleanse, or whatever magic someone tries to sell you. You get out of your body, what you put into it. I consume a fair amount of carbs, as my body needs the fuel to make it through my workouts. It all depends on your goals, and regiment. I have lost eleven pounds. I still eat chili, lasagna, etc. I prepare it myself though, and it's healthy.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    It's the "Herbal Cleanse System Metabolic Cleansing System" in the link. The powder is a fiber dietary supplement. It is a package. I was told the peaches & cream flavor is the one to go with. It still tastes like a powder drink, so I pound it.

I lost weight and a pants size the 1st round while not exercising every day, not changing my diet, and throwing some bourbon back each night while taking this system. Now, I am eating healthier and working out daily this round and hope to see a significant change.

I may give it a try.
    Day 5 of the cleanse and I can honestly say my gut seems lighter and not as tight. It's a nice relaxing feeling. I have not weighed in yet, but I believe I can see a difference.

TMI alert: That being said, today was definitely a detox day. Toxic :poop: session! Glad I'm not carrying that around anymore!

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    I signed up with a personal trainer. I have changed my diet dramatically, and track meals using the my fitness pal app. Diet really makes a difference. You can cleanse, or whatever magic someone tries to sell you. You get out of your body, what you put into it. I consume a fair amount of carbs, as my body needs the fuel to make it through my workouts. It all depends on your goals, and regiment. I have lost eleven pounds. I still eat chili, lasagna, etc. I prepare it myself though, and it's healthy.

I also use My Fitness Pal. It has been a big help for me. Grew up a farm boy and always ate accordingly. With no education in diet, food, etc. really did not have a clue and tracking with M.F.P. has helped immensely.

I eat a LOT of chili. Biggest issue for me is watching the sodium depending on ingredients. Am out of home canned tomatoes, juice, etc. so have to buy and really have to look for no salt added stuff. Used to always add a pound of ground beef ( 80/20 or 85/15 ) and have now went to 1/4 lb. of 95/15...really cuts the fat,etc. and I don't notice the reduced meat content much.

I eat a lot of fish that I catch and have went to baking filets with no breading, just a little lemon/pepper seasoning sprinkled on.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    My Chilli is almost all just raw beans and veggies. No need to watch an ingredient label if you just use raw ingredients. It's pretty much the bomb diggity.

I also use My Fitness Pal. It has been a big help for me. Grew up a farm boy and always ate accordingly. With no education in diet, food, etc. really did not have a clue and tracking with M.F.P. has helped immensely.

I eat a LOT of chili. Biggest issue for me is watching the sodium depending on ingredients. Am out of home canned tomatoes, juice, etc. so have to buy and really have to look for no salt added stuff. Used to always add a pound of ground beef ( 80/20 or 85/15 ) and have now went to 1/4 lb. of 95/15...really cuts the fat,etc. and I don't notice the reduced meat content much.

I eat a lot of fish that I catch and have went to baking filets with no breading, just a little lemon/pepper seasoning sprinkled on.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus

I use lean beef, sometimes turkey. Mine is pretty simple. Tomatoes, beans, tomato juice, meat, and some seasoning.

Top Bottom