• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I've not been counting since we lost power and have been on generator power. Been so busy keeping the fireplace burning, wood stacked and ready to burn, and the generator fueled and running that I've been pretty hungry and eaten whatever the wife put in front of me.

We're using a little coleman liquid fuel stove for cooking - was originally going to try to heat up a cast iron skillet in the fireplace but found the stove at the store and thought we'd give it a try and it's been working out great.

Nothing like a warm meal when you've been cold all day.

Leadkrm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I'm becoming a fat young man. In the last year of the married life I've gain many pounds. From 178 to 215. I'm working on it now though. It's tough to tell the oven no

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    I'm becoming a fat young man. In the last year of the married life I've gain many pounds. From 178 to 215. I'm working on it now though. It's tough to tell the oven no
    I've seen many newly wed friends go from a healthy lifestyle to a not so healthy lifestyle and the gained weight as a result of it. Not sure why it happens but almost a year after being hitched this happens to a lot of folks.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I've seen many newly wed friends go from a healthy lifestyle to a not so healthy lifestyle and the gained weight as a result of it. Not sure why it happens but almost a year after being hitched this happens to a lot of folks.

I was 1 of them...tonight I fell off the bandwagon and had a rather large calorie heavy dinner, but I'll be back at it tomorrow

Leadkrm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2014
    Indianapolis
    My woman loves to cook. And worst of all bake! I can come home to brownies cakes and cookies multiple days a week if she's in the kitchen enough

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Today was a decent day. Got a little exercise in, ate pretty well. No drinking today, since I had my fair share of beers over the weekend.

Weighed in at 245. Down nearly 6 lbs. since this thread starred.

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I'm in. I definitely need to lose some weight. I'd like to get down to 225-250 at least. I'm at 315-320 right now. I think my biggest problem is portion control. I think controlling that will make the biggest difference for me. That and avoiding pop. I don't drink pop all the time, but probably a couple days a week.

Do you guys think an exercise bike or a treadmill provides better cardio exercise? I'd walk outside, but as most of you know, it's just a tad bit cold.

I'll try to get on MyFitnessPal tomorrow and add you guys. If I just join the INGO group will it add everyone that is in it?

Leadkrm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I don't know if America can survive this next step I just witnessed in the war on obesity. It's called the perfect bacon bowl and it is a big threat. It's a skillet dedicated into cooking bacon into the shape of a small bowl so you can stuff other foods into it. God help us all

Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    CMR said: Do you guys think an exercise bike or a treadmill provides better cardio exercise?

You can not go wrong with either. I would pick the bike to save the knees. See you on MFP - Good luck !

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Do you guys think an exercise bike or a treadmill provides better cardio exercise?
    You can not go wrong with either. I would pick the bike to save the knees. See you on MFP - Good luck !

Both are good. You should not have a problem if you use the treadmill for walking instead of running unless you already have a problem with your knees. I tend to have more problems with my knees on a bike than walking and I have had no knee injuries. Most of the cheaper treadmills are not really that good for running and for a serious runner, you are going to pay $$$ for one that will last.

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    Hey guys, I just found this thread, so I'm a little late to the party.

If I could offer some "diet" advice, it would be to try a no sugar, no grains diet (NSNG). Exercise and eating like this took me from a soft 200+lbs to a much better 172 in just a few months. Vinnie Tortorich is an endurance athlete who promotes this way of eating. If you'd like to know more you can check out his book "Fitness Confidential", or "The Angriest Trainer Podcast", and there are a couple of great NSNG groups on Facebook.

Changed my life physically. Just my two cents in case its helpful.

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I don't know if America can survive this next step I just witnessed in the war on obesity. It's called the perfect bacon bowl and it is a big threat. It's a skillet dedicated into cooking bacon into the shape of a small bowl so you can stuff other foods into it. God help us all

I think that would be the war against getting fit, not the war on obesity. ;)

Thanks for the advice! I should have mentioned that I do have slightly bad knees so anything that is easier on my knees is good.

Both are good. You should not have a problem if you use the treadmill for walking instead of running unless you already have a problem with your knees. I tend to have more problems with my knees on a bike than walking and I have had no knee injuries. Most of the cheaper treadmills are not really that good for running and for a serious runner, you are going to pay $$$ for one that will last.

Ok thanks. I don't anticipate running for a while at least. Currently any time I run I have tightness in my knees for the next day or two. I'm going to see if my grandpa still has the treadmill he used to have, but if not I'll probably get an exercise bike.

Do you (or anyone else) know of a good place to buy an exercise bike or a treadmill? And which brands are good and which brands should be avoided. I'd probably just rather get a new one then used, I don't really trust Craigslist at all.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I think that would be the war against getting fit, not the war on obesity. ;)

Thanks for the advice! I should have mentioned that I do have slightly bad knees so anything that is easier on my knees is good.

Ok thanks. I don't anticipate running for a while at least. Currently any time I run I have tightness in my knees for the next day or two. I'm going to see if my grandpa still has the treadmill he used to have, but if not I'll probably get an exercise bike.

Do you (or anyone else) know of a good place to buy an exercise bike or a treadmill? And which brands are good and which brands should be avoided. I'd probably just rather get a new one then used, I don't really trust Craigslist at all.

If you want to run at some time, you should do the couch to 5K. A good way to do that would be to do it with others. A group close to your area is best if you want them to show up. My daughter ran one with the Starbucks employees she worked with. I came along. You should not push it with your knees but running does not have to start out hard and fast. Walking is just as good but takes longer, that is, a 1 mile run burns approximately the same amount of calories as a 1 mile walk.

You might try Play it again Sports. They often have used equipment. I bought a lower end treadmill at the Sears Outlet store after looking at Play it again Sports and in Craigslist. I use it for a treadmill desk and only run it at 1mph while working. Just google for reviews of what you are thinking about buying and you will find out if it is good or not.

I had a good $2,000 treadmill for running but lost it in a divorce. :(

Last edited:

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    Cut out the carbs--grains, refined, or otherwise. Eat plenty of veggies and fruit. Eat sweet potatoes (with honey and cinnamon instead of sugar and marshmallows). If it comes from a box, it better require more work than boiling some water and sprinkling some magic salty flavoring--in other words, make your own meals.

Our rule is if it didn't come from nature, should we be putting in our body? Good fuel in = good functioning body.

Add in some fitness activity whenever you can; take the stairs, park a few spots further away than you normally would; do some push ups for every 30 minutes you spend on INGO...

It took time to put on the weight, and it will take time to take it off.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Cut out the carbs--grains, refined, or otherwise. Eat plenty of veggies and fruit. Eat sweet potatoes (with honey and cinnamon instead of sugar and marshmallows). If it comes from a box, it better require more work than boiling some water and sprinkling some magic salty flavoring--in other words, make your own meals.

Our rule is if it didn't come from nature, should we be putting in our body? Good fuel in = good functioning body.

Add in some fitness activity whenever you can; take the stairs, park a few spots further away than you normally would; do some push ups for every 30 minutes you spend on INGO...

It took time to put on the weight, and it will take time to take it off.

I agree. Also, cut out high glycemic foods, (processed grains for one) but also others like white potatoes and watermelon. These raise your sugar levels and when your sugar level drops is when you feel hungry and binge. It seems counter intuitive but sweet potatoes are not high glycemic and very good for you.

Jenny B

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2014
    Clay County
    I started four years ago, and am down 70 overall. My best advice, is think long term, little changes at a time. Don't overwhelm yourself or you'll be far more likely to regress. Once you've started and cut out small things, and can maintain that, the rest gets way way easier. And being that greencastle isn't too far, feel free to get in touch if you head west, you guys can hike/ jog with the heathens and me :-) though they chickened out today, can't blame them though, boot spikes, boots, and wet snow don't make for easy mobility lol

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I started four years ago, and am down 70 overall. My best advice, is think long term, little changes at a time. Don't overwhelm yourself or you'll be far more likely to regress. Once you've started and cut out small things, and can maintain that, the rest gets way way easier. And being that greencastle isn't too far, feel free to get in touch if you head west, you guys can hike/ jog with the heathens and me :-) though they chickened out today, can't blame them though, boot spikes, boots, and wet snow don't make for easy mobility lol

Going on a Winter hike tomorrow in Zionsville. If you have a suggestion out your way, please advise. A group of us do Winter hikes. You would be welcome to join if we get out your way. The hike duration depends on who is going. Some of the wives do not go out for the longer ones. 6 miles has probably been our longest this Winter.

Top Bottom