• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    We have had several members mention they would like to have an INGO training day or two. Let's put some ideas together as to how we might make this happen. There are plenty of classes coming up in Indiana (many opportunities posted in this forum) but some time down the road it might be cool to put together an opportunity for board members.

First things first we need a range. Central Indiana would probably work best for the majority of our members and would hopefully make it easier for those far north and south to make it

Second we need someone to run the class

Ideas?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I have some idea for an informal range.

Its my parents place in Brown County, about 60 minutes south of Indianapolis (just south of Morgantown). Dad is very pro-gun and has a cabin, 17-acre woods, and a 3-acre lake. He also happens to enjoy cooking/grilling/smoking and entertaining guests.

I know that he'd be thrilled to have a group of responsible gun owners down for a training day, assuming he could get in on the training!

Pistol range is 0-25 yards. Backstop is the lake dam. There's a permanent 3-post setup for targets, as well as 3 moveable IDPA-style PVC pipe target stands. Also 3 permanent metal flanges bolted to posts. Right now there are several hanging bowling pins and softballs also.

6q1lu0x.jpg

Rifle range is 206 yards. You stand at the top of the dam and shoot across the length of the lake (target is circled in RED). Backstop is the middle of two ravines.

6y4hsp1.jpg

The only downside to this particular setup is that you can only use one range at a time. If people are shooting pistols AT the dam, you don't want to stand on top of it and shoot across the lake. This could be worked around by shooting rifles from another location, such as the back porch (boy THAT sounds country!! lol)

Here's a shot of the house. The lake is down and to the left.
    nas93.jpg

Just an idea to throw out there. I'll be down for an INGO training day anywhere!

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    As long as I don't have other commitments, I would teach.

I recommend you guys start with pistol training. It will be cheaper, easier and more applicable to every day defensive situations.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I would like to take a class that covered both pistol and carbine... but if not both then pistol. If it took a Fri-Sat or Sat-Sun that would work too. However I would probably have a hard time justifying a course that would use 1000-2000 rounds of ammunition... I mean really, I can practice the live fire drills on my own time, I think walk (run?) throughs, drills, tactics, mindset training, are all at least as important as live fire. 200-400 rounds maybe?

Since I'm not LEO or military, my first priority is to get myself/family out of harms way as soon as possible, so something geared more toward home defense or public encounters would be more my speed.

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    I would like to take a class that covered both pistol and carbine... but if not both then pistol. If it took a Fri-Sat or Sat-Sun that would work too. However I would probably have a hard time justifying a course that would use 1000-2000 rounds of ammunition... I mean really, I can practice the live fire drills on my own time, I think walk (run?) throughs, drills, tactics, mindset training, are all at least as important as live fire. 200-400 rounds maybe?

Since I'm not LEO or military, my first priority is to get myself/family out of harms way as soon as possible, so something geared more toward home defense or public encounters would be more my speed.

I'm in agreement with Kludge...200-400 rounds maybe? Definitely home defense and/or public encounters scenarios. Cost will also be a factor in my case. I could really use some training, I'm embarrassed at how badly my parishable skills have parished. I can still hit the target, but my shot grouping is horrible at best.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm in agreement with Kludge...200-400 rounds maybe? Definitely home defense and/or public encounters scenarios. Cost will also be a factor in my case. I could really use some training, I'm embarrassed at how badly my parishable skills have parished. I can still hit the target, but my shot grouping is horrible at best.

Yep, same here. Later in the summer would be better for $ planning and practice.

hkhoosier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Here is my .02

Do a one day pistol class, keep the round count below 500, keep the cost under $200. Training is not cheap but with the price of ammo and this economy right now if people are going to show it has to be affordable.

Questions to ask.

How much is it to rent the range (or private property maybe the owner could get a break.)?

What is the fee for the person who will train the group?

Shay what would your fee be? Or how many students would you require at what price?

Hope this gets off the ground!

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    I can't think of which ones right now, but...
    There are some trainers/schools that will let the host or training coordinator train for free if he can promise X number of students.

So IF you should use Esrice's place, you might designate him as "Training Coordinator" to get him or his dad a free class for use of the place.
    Of course, if people back out, it could leave him stuck.

If I think of the places that offer that deal, I'll post them. That's the kind of thing that hits me at 2AM or while I'm driving down the road.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Range use at Dad's would be FREE. If there was some cost per student, then giving Dad his pass free would be a great exchange. He'd love it.

The only thing I'd ask is that everyone be safe and responsible people. I'm sure this goes without saying, but training with firearms is dangerous, and we don't want anyone hurt or anything damaged. That's all.

As for specific details, I like the thoughts of a pistol course, <500 round count, real-world scenarios, etc. Even some discussion on use-of-force and the legal ramifications of self-defense would be great.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The only thing I'd ask is that everyone be safe and responsible people. I'm sure this goes without saying, but training with firearms is dangerous, and we don't want anyone hurt or anything damaged.

I don't mean to be a wet blanket here but, before it goes any further, has any thought been given to liability / insurance issues? Just thinking about you and your family.

hkhoosier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Good point. My first suggestion is have everyone sign release papers that the host is not liable. Would that be worth anything in this day and age?

:dunno:

I don't mean to be a wet blanket here but, before it goes any further, has any thought been given to liability / insurance issues? Just thinking about you and your family.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

Good lookin' out. I suppose the bigger and more "official" things become, the more this is an issue. On one side you have "a bunch of friends over to shoot", and on the other its "hosting a central Indiana firearms training seminar".

Maybe Shay and the others have more insight.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I have some idea for an informal range.

Its my parents place in Brown County, about 60 minutes south of Indianapolis (just south of Morgantown). Dad is very pro-gun and has a cabin, 17-acre woods, and a 3-acre lake. He also happens to enjoy cooking/grilling/smoking and entertaining guests.

6q1lu0x.jpg

Rifle range is 206 yards. You stand at the top of the dam and shoot across the length of the lake (target is circled in RED). Backstop is the middle of two ravines.

6y4hsp1.jpg

The only downside to this particular setup is that you can only use one range at a time. If people are shooting pistols AT the dam, you don't want to stand on top of it and shoot across the lake. This could be worked around by shooting rifles from another location, such as the back porch (boy THAT sounds country!! lol)

Here's a shot of the house. The lake is down and to the left.
    nas93.jpg

Just an idea to throw out there. I'll be down for an INGO training day anywhere!

Your parents have a Beautiful Place. I've not started on a range for here (never seems like enough time) but this has given me some great ideas and some much needed enthusiasm.

Thanks for sharing the photos :) with us

Top Bottom