• ...and so much more!
  • Haven

Network Warlord
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    The job I had prior to my current one was originally supposed to be a 3 month contract. I was there for almost 3 years. I also spent a total 5 years at that location under two different contract holders.

If you are doing anything with Linux, learn vi. You only need to be able to move, edit, save. However, you will find you will be using nano way more. I know enough Vi to be able to get by, but in Linux I always end up using Nano instead.

Another handy tip, get a personal website and make it easy to update. I have a Wiki site that I setup and I put notes in there all the time. Commands, links to things, install proceedures, etc. I also put all my scripts in there, so I can reference them later if needed or if I need to re-create them. A wiki will also do versioning of a sort. I have copied web pages into my Wiki so I won't lose them if they ever close down. Things like the Vi cheat sheet.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I don't necessarily need more, just around as much. Right now I'm at $13.15

It 'shouldn't' be too difficult to find an IT job in that range
    In 06 I started at a call center fresh out of "college" at 11. Since ~2012 I haven't made less than 20 an hour.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    It 'shouldn't' be too difficult to find an IT job in that range
    In 06 I started at a call center fresh out of "college" at 11. Since ~2012 I haven't made less than 20 an hour.

Agreed. Back in '93 I was a mainframe operator making round $10/hr, which got up to ~$13/hr by the time I left in '96. At that time, I got my first real tech job as a Technical Support Analyst, making a blazing $27,500/yr. I should stipulate that I had just graduated with a 2 year computer degree from IvyTech. One thing that helped me, when I was going to IvyTech, was that they had a placement service. That's how I got the mainframe operator job and also an ATM monitoring position with a local credit union. Both paid well and gave me ample opportunity to study at work.

Jordan_J

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    Muncie
    I don't necessarily need more, just around as much. Right now I'm at $13.15

Yeah, finding salary in that range shouldn't be too hard especially after you have an associate's degree. If you do live close to Bloomington (like your location says) IU would probably be one of the best starting places for your IT career.

https://iujobs.peopleadmin.com/postings/41009

If they're anything like Ball State the job would be right up your alley. At Ball State there were IT jobs opening up a lot but I felt they were more lateral moves than anything so I ended up leaving BSU but I wouldn't mind going back later because the benefits were good. It had killer job security, lots of vacation days/PTO, slightly shorter hours in the summer, and tuition assistance for you and your family. So it's very possible IU has similar benefits/perks.

Until you get your associate's degree I'd keep an eye on any other local IT jobs that may not require any education for the experience.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Understandable, a good job and benefits is a must have for a family. The other guys have some good advice but I will also add to not apply for any jobs with the recruitment companies that find IT candidates for positions. I applied for one position with Pinnacle Partners that was a networking job and they called me but it was for a completely unrelated job and then they wanted me to come in to review jobs and just hounded me all the time. That was like three or four years ago and they call me every few months still to want to talk about jobs. I keep telling them to take me off of their calling list and leave me alone but they don't. Just ignore all of those companies and save yourself a headache.

There are lots of places to find work at when the time comes but the only downside is you may need to commute or end up moving. There are a ton of jobs that will allow you to work remote though. You can just do a basic search on IT or something at Indeed or another job place and see what qualifications the places want. I do this occasionally just to see what jobs are on the market and what kind of skills and qualifications they're current wanting for various jobs. Glassdoor is a good place to go for company reviews. Employees will rate the company, describe jobs, salaries, benefits, and more. You might see a job that seems good but then you read the reviews and think that sounds terrible and it probably is.
    That is very dependent upon what level job you are looking for. Lower level jobs are usually pretty easy to find without a recruiter. Higher level jobs get much harder.

Also, where you are makes a big difference. Large cities with large companies are going to use more recruiters to find people than smaller companies and smaller areas.

fullmetaljesus

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    If you work hard now and really develop your skills. I'd say in 5 or so you could be making double what you are making now.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Yeah, finding salary in that range shouldn't be too hard especially after you have an associate's degree. If you do live close to Bloomington (like your location says) IU would probably be one of the best starting places for your IT career.

https://iujobs.peopleadmin.com/postings/41009

If they're anything like Ball State the job would be right up your alley. At Ball State there were IT jobs opening up a lot but I felt they were more lateral moves than anything so I ended up leaving BSU but I wouldn't mind going back later because the benefits were good. It had killer job security, lots of vacation days/PTO, slightly shorter hours in the summer, and tuition assistance for you and your family. So it's very possible IU has similar benefits/perks.

Until you get your associate's degree I'd keep an eye on any other local IT jobs that may not require any education for the experience.

Unfortunately IU has either part time jobs or ones that require at least a Bachelor's degree. I wouldn't mind the part time in conjunction with what I am doing now but they won't let me do both.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    If you work hard now and really develop your skills. I'd say in 5 or so you could be making double what you are making now.

If he's able to get on doing an entry level job in IT/InfoSec for ~$13/hr, I agree. If not double that, then close. A year entry level and taking another position closer to $15/hr. Another couple of years to get more experience and hit another level for closer to $20 an hour. That gives two more years to get enough experience, plus the degree/education/certs to get up to ~$25 an hour. I think it can be done. To get there you would definitely need to transition to networking/sysadmin or InfoSec to get over $20/hr, at least easily.

Make sure you set goals. It's very easy to stagnate and continue doing something longer than you should. I fell into that trap myself. Make sure you're moving at least every couple of years, to new duties or at least more duties, so you can either get promoted every couple years, or move to another company/position that will let you keep moving your salary and skills forward. That's the way to keep moving ahead. Plus make sure you keep getting certs to stay current.

fullmetaljesus

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    One reason why I harp on Linux knowledge I'm basically at an entry level Linux admin job for more than 30 an hour. In three years I'll probably be over 45 an hour

If you can't make a decent living in IT in Indiana it's your own fault.

(Hope this didn't come off as boastful, just trying throw out useful numbers)

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    One reason why I harp on Linux knowledge I'm basically at an entry level Linux admin job for more than 30 an hour. In three years I'll probably be over 45 an hour

If you can't make a decent living in IT in Indiana it's your own fault.

(Hope this didn't come off as boastful, just trying throw out useful numbers)

Yep, I'm at $40 an hour for 5 years in InfoSec. It can definitely be done ;)

Jordan_J

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    Muncie
    That is very dependent upon what level job you are looking for. Lower level jobs are usually pretty easy to find without a recruiter. Higher level jobs get much harder.

Also, where you are makes a big difference. Large cities with large companies are going to use more recruiters to find people than smaller companies and smaller areas.

I guess I'm talking more the recruiters that have their on recruiting firm. Most big companies I have seen have internal recruiters and they're fine but the ones that work at like Pinnacle Partners, Robert Half and other "staffing" agencies are the ones to watch out for. I guess I should have called them something else but they're essentially recruiters.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I guess I'm talking more the recruiters that have their on recruiting firm. Most big companies I have seen have internal recruiters and they're fine but the ones that work at like Pinnacle Partners, Robert Half and other "staffing" agencies are the ones to watch out for. I guess I should have called them something else but they're essentially recruiters.

I have a hard time really trusting any "staffing agency," I'd prefer to deal directly with a company.

fullmetaljesus

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Also, I typically wouldn't mention this bc I don't see 'much' of a point to it. But considering it played a role in me getting my new job I feel it's useful.

Get on LinkedIn. Treat it like a resume fill it up with everything so it looks active. Get a pic on there as well. And then link up with everyone in this thread that is willing.

Just like being successful in any field you need to hustle as much as possible and part of that hustle is having the right people as resources.

Jump in LinkedIn and look me up.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Also, I typically wouldn't mention this bc I don't see 'much' of a point to it. But considering it played a role in me getting my new job I feel it's useful.

Get on LinkedIn. Treat it like a resume fill it up with everything so it looks active. Get a pic on there as well. And then link up with everyone in this thread that is willing.

Just like being successful in any field you need to hustle as much as possible and part of that hustle is having the right people as resources.

Same here. Ruffnek I'll PM you my name if you're interested. Let me know. Same for anyone here interested.

Jordan_J

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    Muncie

This is solid advice. Make sure your Linked In photo is more on the professional side like you’re at work or how you’d dress at work at least. If you connect to a bunch of companies and their recruiters/HR staff it could help see postings for jobs when they need people too.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

Same here. Ruffnek I'll PM you my name if you're interested. Let me know. Same for anyone here interested.

This is solid advice. Make sure your Linked In photo is more on the professional side like you’re at work or how you’d dress at work at least. If you connect to a bunch of companies and their recruiters/HR staff it could help see postings for jobs when they need people too.

I really don't know much about LinkedIn but I'll look into it.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I really don't know much about LinkedIn but I'll look into it.

It's just a professional social media site. Gets you exposure to other professionals in your field, or the field you want to break into. Unfortunately, most people don't use it the way they're supposed to, but it can be useful. I used it to get a job here in Indy when I was living in Minnesota and also met the recruiter who got me my current position through LinkedIn.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Actually large companies use firms like Robert Half all the time. My company always starts without them, but often times we use recruiting firms to find good candidates.

What exactly do you think these firms do that is bad? Their job is to screen candidates to find people that are a decent fit for a job opening. They get paid by the company if their candidate is chosen for the position, either with a lump sum or as a set time as a consultant.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    When you get a non-contract job it takes them a long time to lose your number. Even after repeated requests.

Top Bottom