• Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I'm glad you popped this up.

Interesting twist this year during my review... the only things I got "dinged" on where not completing a couple of classes &/or Certs last year.

I do a lot of travel in Field service IT, sometimes 2 weeks at a time out of state. It's a nice break from being stuck in the office all day.

I only averaged ~60 hours /wk last year (hourly, not salary). Not as much OT as previous years but still enough to impact free time. We're not given time during the work day to take these classes. Our company reimbursement policy for "non-degree, cert type classes" is vague (a co-worker was denied reimbursement for his very expensive VMWare class).

I need classes/certs in: time management, encryption, Powershell
    I need something inexpensive in case it's not reimbursed.
    I need something I can easily stop & start as time permits. Likely web based, self paced.

So, what online resource / training company would you guys recommend?

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'm glad you popped this up.

Interesting twist this year during my review... the only things I got "dinged" on where not completing a couple of classes &/or Certs last year.

I do a lot of travel in Field service IT, sometimes 2 weeks at a time out of state. It's a nice break from being stuck in the office all day.

I only averaged ~60 hours /wk last year (hourly, not salary). Not as much OT as previous years but still enough to impact free time. We're not given time during the work day to take these classes. Our company reimbursement policy for "non-degree, cert type classes" is vague (a co-worker was denied reimbursement for his very expensive VMWare class).

I need classes/certs in: time management, encryption, Powershell
    I need something inexpensive in case it's not reimbursed.
    I need something I can easily stop & start as time permits. Likely web based, self paced.

So, what online resource / training company would you guys recommend?

This might be a good starting point for PowerShell https://mva.microsoft.com/en-us/tra...ell-3-0-jump-start-8276?l=r54IrOWy_2304984382 It won't get you a certificate, etc as it's just online. It is a bit older though.

Here's a what's new in PowerShell 5 https://mva.microsoft.com/en-US/training-courses/whats-new-in-powershell-v5-16434?l=Oq4Os59VC_2506218965

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    ^ thanks! Now if only I had time to take the time management course that work wants me to take (on my own time) so I can learn how to take these other classes they want me to take! :):

I did a lot of travel this last 2 week pay period. Flew up top Alaska again for a couple weeks of IT PM work + installing some monitoring hardware. 110.12 Hrs! I get OT unlike a lot of IT pros. :rockwoot:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    ^ thanks! Now if only I had time to take the time management course that work wants me to take (on my own time) so I can learn how to take these other classes they want me to take! :):

I did a lot of travel this last 2 week pay period. Flew up top Alaska again for a couple weeks of IT PM work + installing some monitoring hardware. 110.12 Hrs! I get OT unlike a lot of IT pros. :rockwoot:

Damn, that's some serious travel... that said, I should probably look at taking some more online training than I do as opposed to surfing INGO :ingo:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I just had to open my mouth on a conference call about getting warranty service on stupid Dell printers. My cert is expired. Now work wants me to re-certify. :ugh: I f'ing hate Dell printers!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I just had to open my mouth on a conference call about getting warranty service on stupid Dell printers. My cert is expired. Now work wants me to re-certify. :ugh: I f'ing hate Dell printers!

You and me both!

I was "gifted" a MFC laser 13 years ago when we bought about 20 servers. They wanted to show off their new printer line, and as a thank you they gave me a free one. It appeared to be a kickass unit. Print/scan/fax. dual paper trays and maybe even duplexing. (maybe not) Seemed like a deal!

Then I got the first low toner warning. No biggie, lets see how long she lasts. 3 months later, its still beeping like crazy every time you print to tell you that you need to replace the toner, because DAMMIT! YOU ARE OUT OF TONER WHETHER IT LOOKS LIKE IT OR NOT!!!!!

Did the rock and tilt thing and got at least 3 more months out of it before it started streaking and leaving faint images and REALLY running out of toner.

I'll never buy another Dell printer after that mess. Go ahead, tell me Im almost out of ink. But you had better be damn well sure I truly am out, not just telling me that to get me to throw more money at you.*

*For those that dont know, printers dont make anyone any money; supplies are where the margin is. You can buy a cheap inkjet for less than the cost of a set of new cartridges. (of course that printer comes with only partially filled carts)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You and me both!

I was "gifted" a MFC laser 13 years ago when we bought about 20 servers. They wanted to show off their new printer line, and as a thank you they gave me a free one. It appeared to be a kickass unit. Print/scan/fax. dual paper trays and maybe even duplexing. (maybe not) Seemed like a deal!

Then I got the first low toner warning. No biggie, lets see how long she lasts. 3 months later, its still beeping like crazy every time you print to tell you that you need to replace the toner, because DAMMIT! YOU ARE OUT OF TONER WHETHER IT LOOKS LIKE IT OR NOT!!!!!

Did the rock and tilt thing and got at least 3 more months out of it before it started streaking and leaving faint images and REALLY running out of toner.

I'll never buy another Dell printer after that mess. Go ahead, tell me Im almost out of ink. But you had better be damn well sure I truly am out, not just telling me that to get me to throw more money at you.*

*For those that dont know, printers dont make anyone any money; supplies are where the margin is. You can buy a cheap inkjet for less than the cost of a set of new cartridges. (of course that printer comes with only partially filled carts)

I saw a sale on printers a few weeks ago. Cost less than buying a full set of printer inks.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    At least if you know where to look you can turn off Dell's "authentic cartridge " detection.

Buy HP for the office. I still have working printers wearing their "I'm OK for Y2K" stickers!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    At least if you know where to look you can turn off Dell's "authentic cartridge " detection.

Buy HP for the office. I still have working printers wearing their "I'm OK for Y2K" stickers!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Yep, HP printers are great little workhorses :yesway:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    You and me both!

My little HP color printer has been low on black toner since Christmas. At least it doesn't beep. Just throws a pop-up on the screen. Come on! One More Page!

Top Bottom