• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Why shouldn't one consider these tests when deciding on a carry gun?

Think about it, you're traveling home from visiting family a few counties away, then SHTF and your home doesn't exist or you can't get back home.

The gun/stuff you have with you is all you have to survive with for the next year. No extra mags, cleaning kit, oil, just what you have in your car or go-bag.

Is your gun and mags gonna hold up to rust, rain, snow, dust, dirt, use in extreme conditions?

My Glock 23 and polymer mags will

my Wilson Combat CQB and CMC mags? not sure...

Unless SHTF involves some sort of freak baby powder storm there is no direct correlation between this sort of torture test and reality. Besides that, one year with just my car bag means I'll have enough mags and supplies to maintain regular maintenance. The only sort of tests that seem applicable are high round count tests. I simply question what we actually learn from tests like this.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    I think the glock is a better designed pistol than the 1911....If you want beauty and nostalgia pick a 1911 but if you want a rugged reliable, modern utilitarian tool that functions 100% without endless tinkering right out of the box then get a Glock. The Glock would be pistol used by our soldiers if the government didn't play politics with soldiers...Also, torture tests are not irrelevant as WW2 soldiers used to put their rifles together and urinate on them to keep them lubricated. This is a torture test I would like to do on your 1911.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    The Glock would be pistol used by our soldiers if the government didn't play politics with soldiers...Also, torture tests are not irrelevant as WW2 soldiers used to put their rifles together and urinate on them to keep them lubricated. This is a torture test I would like to do on your 1911.

Actually no it would not be.
    The only 2 pistols to Pass the Handgun Trials during Our last round of Purchasing were the Sig P226, and the Beretta 92F. ;)

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Have you ever changed a baby's diaper?:)

:Yes, even while armed. You may have just changed my entire outlook on the issue. :D

I think the glock is a better designed pistol than the 1911....If you want beauty and nostalgia pick a 1911 but if you want a rugged reliable, modern utilitarian tool that functions 100% without endless tinkering right out of the box then get a Glock. The Glock would be pistol used by our soldiers if the government didn't play politics with soldiers...Also, torture tests are not irrelevant as WW2 soldiers used to put their rifles together and urinate on them to keep them lubricated. This is a torture test I would like to do on your 1911.

You're not real familiar with modern 1911's are you? These aren't shot out surplus GI guns with feed ramps designed to only feed ball ammo any more. There's no "tinkering." They're not finicky. They, like most modern semi autos, are utterly reliable. All this with better ergonomics and accuracy than a glock. Secondly, this isn't specifically a glock issue. These torture tests are pointless no matter the make of the gun being used. I don't find "torturable" to be a necessary characteristic in a handgun.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    You're not real familiar with modern 1911's are you? These aren't shot out surplus GI guns with feed ramps designed to only feed ball ammo any more. There's no "tinkering." They're not finicky. They, like most modern semi autos, are utterly reliable. All this with better ergonomics and accuracy than a glock. Secondly, this isn't specifically a glock issue. These torture tests are pointless no matter the make of the gun being used. I don't find "torturable" to be a necessary characteristic in a handgun.

Why cant we all just get along. Anyone that says 1911s NEED to be tuned is wrong. Modern 1911s are amazing weapons. They have been time/battle tested and are a classic. And anyone that says glocks blow up and bla bla bla plastic guns, is wrong. I can post up just as many pictures of your gun blown up as you can mine. It happens. Doesnt mean ALL or even MOST do. Post up how many have been made and how many have blown up (legal weapons within mfg spec not shot with high powder reloads or neglect of the weapon.)

You like your guns, I like mine. YAY GUNS! :rockwoot:

(disregard my signature thats just a joke!)

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    Though I respect the 1911's history it is not a gun I would choose to carry. I would like to have a WW2 era pistol as a collectible but I am not going to choose to carry a gun that has it's roots in 1911 technology.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    A guy I know had his Kimber 1911 style pistol "blow up" when he dropped it. "Oh but thats been fixed" ...dont care dont want one....maybe an authentic one from ww2 yes but to buy a "modern" gun on this platform....not interested

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    A guy I know had his Kimber 1911 style pistol "blow up" when he dropped it. "Oh but thats been fixed" ...dont care dont want one....maybe an authentic one from ww2 yes but to buy a "modern" gun on this platform....not interested

I know a guy whos Glock blew up. "They said, they, oh wait" Modern or not, I do not want one :D.

Airborne33

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Colorado SPrings
    Glock makes a pretty reliable firearm. I don't think there is any need whatsoever to say though, because of how it performs in a torture test, that it is a clearly better gun than the 1911.

These torture tests for the most part were the result of tests the military put weapons through, prior to contracting them and fielding. The 1911 passed those tests, made it through two world wars, Vietnam, and is still being used today by US Special Forces and other military units. On the other hand, so is the Glock.

I think the wide variety of pistols used by military and police just go to show that there is a lot more to a carry decision than just mud and dirt on the slide. All pistols can have failures - remember this. I've seen 1911's fail, I have certainly seen Glocks fail in person as well.

You can perform any tests you want, in the end the 1911 has killed more Nazi's than the Glock will ever see.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Its like modern day sportbikes. Im not sure if you guys are interested or even know anything about them.

Suzuki, honda, kawasaki, and yamaha all make sportbikes

gsxr 600, cbr 600, zx6r, R6

They all claim they have special features and are faster or whatever. But seriously youre talking about a .00000000001% difference between any one of the 4. Guns, in the same way, all have something different about them, be it polymer or thumb safety or whatever, but aside from some cheap POS gun you got for $150 at some used gunstore, every gun should really be about the same. (im talking the elite mfgs of guns here)

While its comforting and "bad ass" to see a glock take this kind of abuse, the chances of me needing it to go through that are pretty slim. Its still nice to know it can, thus this thread.

So like I said before, why all the bashing? Read the post, give your opinion on why you think its a good or bad test for a glock, and be done with it. If you like 1911s more, go find a 1911 torture test, I promise, I wont come to your post and bash you. (btw atm I am NOT talking about you :) )
    :rockwoot:

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Why cant we all just get along. Anyone that says 1911s NEED to be tuned is wrong. Modern 1911s are amazing weapons. They have been time/battle tested and are a classic. And anyone that says glocks blow up and bla bla bla plastic guns, is wrong. I can post up just as many pictures of your gun blown up as you can mine. It happens. Doesnt mean ALL or even MOST do. Post up how many have been made and how many have blown up (legal weapons within mfg spec not shot with high powder reloads or neglect of the weapon.)

You like your guns, I like mine. YAY GUNS! :rockwoot:

(disregard my signature thats just a joke!)

I really do agree with your sentiment. Just know that there are certain things that are important enough to people to that the result is this type of discussion. It may be the 1911's "antiquated" technology, glock's design or safety, taurus' revolver lock work, Xd bore height,etc. Conversely, there are things that people commonly love to tout as special or impressive. This type of torture test is one such thing.

By the way, I bet you can't post as many pictures of my gun blown up with factory loaded ammunition as I can post of yours.

Though I respect the 1911's history it is not a gun I would choose to carry. I would like to have a WW2 era pistol as a collectible but I am not going to choose to carry a gun that has it's roots in 1911 technology.

You expressed your misconceptions of the 1911 earlier and I attempted to correct them. Would you care to respond?
    yawn.

Are there any handguns still in production that can't pass these torture tests? :dunno:

Good point. It is as if people don't realize that reliability is an common trait in modern firearms.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom