• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    I envy you being able to eat 3 times per day like that & not only lose weight, but are maintaining it.
    You obviously are doing a great job with portions, indicated by your "small amount" for breakfast & lunch with supper being more "normal."

My weaknesses, which I try to eat for lunch or have a little after a meal:
    - unsalted nuts (all kinds)
    - cheese
    - figs
    - dates
    - prunes
    - popcorn
    - bananas

Any of these are fine in moderation, but apparently portions matter, haha!
    Shoot, back when I was in my mid-twenties my co-workers and I would frequently go out to lunch at a bar/diner outside the plant gates. I could put down a beef sandwhich, fries and a cup of chili. Ha, no way now!

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I need to lose about 50-60 lbs to be in my happy place. Hard to do even with calorie restriction when I rotate shifts every week, that really confuses your body. Getting the flu always seems to knock off 10-15 lbs. Guess it's time to go lick the cart handles at Walmart

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Reality check.
    I'm gaining about 1 pound per month since December 2020 Optavia diet.
    This was after breaking 200 for the first time in decades.
    I use a 1st of the month 36 hour fasting to try to refocus my weight control for the month.
    If not I'd probably be gaining 2 pounds per month.

Past 17 months lowest weight after 36 hour fasting.
    Months under 200:
    7 months
    Months under 205:
    5 months
    Months under 210:
    4 months
    Months under 215:
    1 month

I'm learning that my highest weight for the week/month is more predictive for future
    weight gain/loss.
    Highest weight for the past 7 weeks:
    217 (213 lowest)
    218 (211 lowest) First week in April.
    218 (214 lowest)
    216 (214 lowest
    216 (213 lowest)
    215 (211 lowest)
    214 (208 lowest) First week of May.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Man, it sounds like you’re stuck on a plateau. Those things can be frustrating to break through. I was below my stretch goal all the way through 2021…until Christmas time. Since then, I put on about 15 pounds and then worked off maybe 5 of them. I’m still way lighter than I was when I began the journey. But giving ground sucks.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Man, it sounds like you’re stuck on a plateau. Those things can be frustrating to break through. I was below my stretch goal all the way through 2021…until Christmas time. Since then, I put on about 15 pounds and then worked off maybe 5 of them. I’m still way lighter than I was when I began the journey. But giving ground sucks.
    My body does seem to like that 215-220 zone. :ugh:
    I realize now that getting down under 200 (196) after a month of 1200 calories/day with the Optavia Diet, it was unrealistic that I could stay under 200, even though I gave it a good run for awhile.

This summer will be a good time to work reigning in my lowest weekly weight back under 210.
    And, my highest weekly weight under 215, which will be harder to be consistent with.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Reality check.
    Barely able to keep it 215 & under.
    20 months ago since I lost 20# & was under 200.

1 week:
    Weight 3rd week in August.jpg

6 months:
    Weight last 6 months.jpg

last 5.5 yrs:
    Last 5.5 yrs as of 8.20.2022.jpg

Last edited:

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Reality check.
    Barely able to keep it 215 & under.
    20 months ago since I lost 20# & was under 200.

1 week:
    View attachment 218938

6 months:
    View attachment 218939

last 5.5 yrs:
    View attachment 218952
    I was at 196 late last year, plumped up to about 235 and can’t seem to get it off, I’ve been lifting weights consistently, getting in a good bit of hiking, but it just stays right around 235. To be honest I wasn’t very comfortable under 200, I’d prefer to be right around 210.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    What app is that? I need something that will help me visualize my weight as well and that looks like a great way to track it!
    I've been using it for nearly 6 yrs.
    My 37 yr. old son showed it to me.
    Obviously, it didn't cure my love of food, haha!
    It headed me in the right direction, though.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I was at 196 late last year, plumped up to about 235 and can’t seem to get it off, I’ve been lifting weights consistently, getting in a good bit of hiking, but it just stays right around 235. To be honest I wasn’t very comfortable under 200, I’d prefer to be right around 210.
    Now that is scary, since you did it in less than a year.
    I'm supposing that you didn't make long-term changes in your eating habits.
    The hardest thing there is to do, overcoming decades of habits.
    There are probably items you eat/drink that should be totally avoided 99% of the time.

Don't take calories in liquids & be moderate in alcohol.
    Eat your fruit & not drink fruit juices as an example.

Pastries have to go, & bread should be a luxury item, probably the hardest for me to do.
    I gave up ice cream, which also took years.
    Sugar is something that you just can't indulge in much.

I'm sure you already know these things.
    I practice them & a dozen other particulars, but portion control of healthy foods eludes me, haha!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I changed around my schedule by adding a couple hours of fishing to the end of the daylight for the past few days.

When all goes well, as it has, the above couple hours has then led to fish processing. All this has been helpful to stay busy enough to push the intermittent fast into OMAD.

The OMAD combined with hitting the step count, (hiking with fishing rod,) really burns the fat.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I changed around my schedule by adding a couple hours of fishing to the end of the daylight for the past few days.

When all goes well, as it has, the above couple hours has then led to fish processing. All this has been helpful to stay busy enough to push the intermittent fast into OMAD.

The OMAD combined with hitting the step count, (hiking with fishing rod,) really burns the fat.

I had to look up "OMAD." Interesting.
    I could do the eating once per day for a month, but it wouldn't help me with learning to eat smaller portions, which is my issue.
    The 1200 calorie/day diet, Optavia I did in Dec 2020 required eating every 3 hours very little during the day, which was Ok till supper time & you were only allowed a cup of veggies & a 5 oz piece of chicken or fish.
    I was mad the whole month, haha!
    I didn't care about the meat, but I wanted a plateful of veggies (or two), haha!

The activity in the evening (after supper I assume?), would be a healthy choice of lifestyle.
    I'm done for the day after supper, usually.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I had to look up "OMAD." Interesting.
    I could do the eating once per day for a month, but it wouldn't help me with learning to eat smaller portions, which is my issue.
    The 1200 calorie/day diet, Optavia I did in Dec 2020 required eating every 3 hours very little during the day, which was Ok till supper time & you were only allowed a cup of veggies & a 5 oz piece of chicken or fish.
    I was mad the whole month, haha!
    I didn't care about the meat, but I wanted a plateful of veggies (or two), haha!

The activity in the evening (after supper I assume?), would be a healthy choice of lifestyle.
    I'm done for the day after supper, usually.

I'm doing keto with intermittent fasting, so I eat until I'm full. The veggies I eat are the lower carb variety anyway. No potatoes or bread or other higher in natural sugar/starch foods.

I don't really turn my eating into a math problem. I just know what I can't have and don't keep any around.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'm doing keto with intermittent fasting, so I eat until I'm full. The veggies I eat are the lower carb variety anyway. No potatoes or bread or other higher in natural sugar/starch foods.

I don't really turn my eating into a math problem. I just know what I can't have and don't keep any around.
    Thanks for your input! :thumbsup:
    Curious on how long you've been doing the OMAD? :scratch:
    Do you, on average, lose a pound per week steadily with that approach?

I understand about the math thing, unsustainable. :ugh:
    At nearly 70, I am interested in just maintaining a healthy weight. :fogey:
    My goal is a lifestyle of eating habits where I can keep my A1C under 6.0 & enjoy a variety of foods.
    Being a diabetic has meant I've had to learn to avoid everything you've mentioned & more.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Thanks for your input! :thumbsup:
    Curious on how long you've been doing the OMAD? :scratch:
    Do you, on average, lose a pound per week steadily with that approach?

I understand about the math thing, unsustainable. :ugh:
    At nearly 70, I am interested in just maintaining a healthy weight. :fogey:
    My goal is a lifestyle of eating habits where I can keep my A1C under 6.0 & enjoy a variety of foods.
    Being a diabetic has meant I've had to learn to avoid everything you've mentioned & more.

I am not consistent with OMAD. Only when I can stay physically busy enough to "forget" about the meal I would be eating otherwise. So when I am doing OMAD, I am getting dual duty out of it, with additional exercise. When I do get a run of days in a row, the scale certainly moves slowly in the right direction.

A little FYI, there are a lot of youtube doctors promoting keto/carnivore as a solution for diabetes and other longevity problems. Alzheimer's, dementia and various cancers has been a part of those discussions.

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    I am not consistent with OMAD. Only when I can stay physically busy enough to "forget" about the meal I would be eating otherwise. So when I am doing OMAD, I am getting dual duty out of it, with additional exercise. When I do get a run of days in a row, the scale certainly moves slowly in the right direction.

A little FYI, there are a lot of youtube doctors promoting keto/carnivore as a solution for diabetes and other longevity problems. Alzheimer's, dementia and various cancers has been a part of those discussions.

Been watching this thread for awhile. Those keto/carnivore plans end up being an elimination diet of whatever is causing a health problem and the person believes it is the final solution. I can't see how it'd be healthy long term to not eat a balanced diet. Everyone is different and not one thing works for everyone, which you'd never know from all the diet crazes and My Method Only exercise programs.

I've read a lot of differnent eating/food books the last few years and the one I always recall is the Warrior Diet, which you may be familiar with. For me it was good general guidelines and the famine and feast seems to work.

Fat seems to have been demonized by the food industry in order to sell their vast quantities of "low fat" yet highly processed foods. Some good healthy fats are essential for brain and body. Carbs are tolerated less by some individuals, including me, and homemade baked goods using flours like Bobs Red Mill are much better tolerated.

I've done time restricted eating for 5 years and like not eating till mid-day, some coffee in the morning, usually with an 8 hour eating window. The body does adapt and as mentioned, an elevated carb day every week or two seems to accomplish a healthy reset from the body adapting. Diabetics would need to be careful. Never give up on your goals and good luck. :thumbsup:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

As I've gotten older, I've made a decision to eat less meat, so no carnivore approach for me, haha!
    One pork chop, instead of two sort of thing, haha!
    I get plenty of eggs with accompanying turkey bacon or turkey sausage in the am.
    I love cheese & as well beans, so I'm not concerned with my protein intake.
    Some mornings I just have a protein shake when I'm trying to go lean for the day.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm not trying to sell anything. Just passing along what has worked for me over the past nearly 5 years.

30-40# down, hardly any inflammation or 60+ aches and pains. No "it's hell getting old" joint pain like I had 5 years ago every single morning.

But, by all means, keep doing whatever is working for you all.

:)

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'm the guy who lost 25 lbs 2 yrs ago in December 2020, on "Optavia."
    Broke 200 lbs for first time in decades.
    1200 calories per day eating very little every 3 hours (6 "fuelings" per day).
    I was angry the entire month, haha! :xmad:
    But, I lost that "last" 20-25 lbs.

I gained about 1 lb per month in the last 2 yrs & got back up to 225, which I hadn't been that high in 3 yrs.
    I work out 3 times per week & avoid most of the bad foods, most of the time, haha! :ugh:
    Yes, I can gain weight eating veggies, no sugar & no bread, haha! :laugh:
    Takeaway: I cannot maintain a steady weight.

At 225 lbs, Sunday, I fasted (only coffee).
    221, Monday am.
    Doing liquids only today: 3 protein drinks & a V8 juice.

I'm officially under punishment for my bad behavior, haha! :nono:
    I intend to stay on liquids till I at least break 210.
    If I can stay mad enough, I'd love to break 200 again by end of January, or close.

I plan to add raw & roasted veggies, then if all goes well, eggs during the month, then nuts for splurging, haha!
    I fast 36 hrs once per month for health & spiritual discipline reasons, but I probably should do it once per week, especially for the spiritual reasons, haha!
    I have impatience & anger issues, haha! :wallbash:

I do some intermittent fasting, as in the title of the thread during most weeks.
    I am resigned that I'll have to address the weight issue every January to even keep 200 on the edges of my dreams. :lmfao:

January is a good time for addressing issues b/c:
    - past the holidays
    - weight peaks during holidays
    - the momentum of a new year
    - my yearly physical is in February & losing 10-20 lbs will help with A1C & cholesterol blood work.
    - if not January, when? :dunno:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom