• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    He's pretty active on YouTube. His books "The Obesity Code" and "The Diabetes Code" were instrumental in my own weight loss. I'm now working my way through his third book, "The Cancer Code."
    It shows that you've educated yourself on these things.
    Literally everything you've mentioned I've run across from different Drs. & the research studies.

I'm really enjoying learning about all this to be motivated not only now but for the long run.
    My wife is a bad/brittle diabetic & has been researching from books & online for years about nutrition & eating right.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I just heard from yet another colleague last week that I have inspired him to begin intermittent fasting.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I just heard from yet another colleague last week that I have inspired him to begin intermittent fasting.
    I have 4 friends that I'm talking with about all this.
    3 are actively "making changes" with the other either still in denial or secretly doing so & just doesn't want to tell me, haha!
    One friend is doing the 1 meal per day routine with success.
    I call that approach: intermittent fasting on "steroids," haha!

On a personal note, after 23 days, I'm 21 down pounds, from 225 to 205.
    For 10 days now I been vacillating around 205+/- on a real set point or plateau.
    Next goal is 200 & it will be slow coming, & will be another plateau.
    This all happened 2 yrs ago & I expect no less this time.

Really looking forward to my blood test 2nd week of February.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    January 2023 sees a -23#s on 28th day.
    My routines:
    - began on January 1 with a 36 hour fast (coffee/tea only)
    - liquids only for 10 days (V8 juice, buttermilk, 2% milk in protein shakes, broth)
    - limited solid foods (low carb/high protein)
    - no alcohol at all (I'm a lightweight, anyway, so no great sacrifice)
    - intermittent fasting, using a 16/8 fasting/eating window (TRE, time restricted eating) doable approach long term but only met that target less than half the days :dunno:
    Main goal is focusing on low carb/absolutely NO "added sugar" for now (type 2 diabetic).

Examples of limited solid foods in addition to the usual liquids after 10 days:
    - tuna (began on 11th day) Natural Catch brand in 100% virgin olive oil.
    - eggs (began on 12th day) Most days start with w/eggs: wife boiling some now! :laugh6:
    - raw veggies and/or greens with tuna (began on 13 day)
    - nuts (began on 14 day): shelled peanuts, unsalted peanuts, pecans, walnuts, almonds
    - cooked veggies ( began on 15th day) green beans to begin with b/c low glycemic
    - salmon (began 18th day)
    - vegetable or minestrone soup (began 19th day)
    - smoked herring (began 24th day)
    - turkey/chicken/ham (twice)
    - cheese on salads occasionally
    - roasted veggies (on 28th day) Heaven-on-Earth tasty with slightly burnt sections
    of Bella mushrooms, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli

Keeping it fairly restrictive this month & able to do so till February 12.
    Keeping myself saturated with Drs., conferences, symposiums on Youtube about everything foodwise, sugars, fats, cholesterol, statins & such to keep me highly motivated.
    I haven't been angry every day like on Optavia diet 2 yrs ago, haha!
    I want to break the 197# that I did 2 yrs ago after 2 days into the next month.
    The real work begins after I hit 200. :ugh:
    2 yrs ago was first time in over 3 decades being under 200: what a rush of satisfaction! :rockwoot:
    Flying to Phoenix with best friend to visit a a mutual best friend Febr. 12. :buddies:
    Unfortunately, he thinks he's a wannabe master chef.
    Whenever I go visit for a week, I put on literally 8-12#s. :wallbash:
    It will be hazardous. :nono:

My latest favorite new-found food healthy food is SMOKED HERRING in tins near the sardines & tuna! :wow:
    Where has smoked herring been my whole life! :scratch:

After being stuck at 205+/- for 10 days, I finally dropped to 202 for 2 days, with only a 1 day visit at 203.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    200 pounds this am (Sunday 29.2023)!!!!!
    -25 pounds
    Now the real work begins!

1st Goal: get under 200
    2nd Goal: get under 197 done, like 2 yrs ago
    3rd secret Goal: under 190, but only have 14 days & that won't be enough time, bummer.

I can continue this no/low carb with protein combined with IF (intermittent fasting approach
    or
    TRE (time restrictive eating) through evening of February 12, 2023.

1 week chart
    200.2 Jan. 29.2023 1st time Month chart.PNG

1 month chart
    1 month chart.PNG

1 yr chart
    1 year through mostly 2022 weight chart.PNG

7 yr chart
    8 yrs weight chart.PNG

Attachments

• 200.2 Jan. 29.2023 1st time Week chart.PNG
      200.2 Jan. 29.2023 1st time Week chart.PNG
      198.5 KB · Views: 2

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Last 2 weeks I've been bouncing below & above 200.
    That's OK for now: it's a serious "set point."
    I'm still being very strict, motivated with my blood draw being today
    &
    my Annual Physical and weigh-in Friday.
    Then I'm going to Arizona for a week with to be with old friends of my youth.
    One of them fancies himself a cook & there will be 3 meals/day with snacks in-between.
    I have come back before having picked up 12 lbs, haha!

Today was liquids only:
    - coffee
    - Apple Cinnamon Tea
    - small Protein shake
    - spicy V-8 juice
    I was going to have some chicken broth, but I'm to full of 32 ozs of spicy V-8 juice, haha!

Chart for last 2 months showing the spike in weight before the end of the year at 225
    & my getting below 200, & not being able to stay there yet.
    After going through this 2 years ago I am fine with the 200 lb battle.
    It know it will be harder than losing the 25 lbs that took th entire month of Jan.
    Weight bouncing under & above 200 end of Jan & begining of Feb.PNG

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    4.9 A1C @ 200 lbs. :wow:
    1st time ever broke 5.0 since testing for 20 yrs.
    It was a natural result of 5 weeks of intermittent fasting & no added sugars & very low carbs diet.
    Ate alot of tuna, sardines, smoked herring, some chicken & raw or cooked veggies & protein shakes.

Weight down from 225 to 199 (x6) in the past 5 weeks with me bouncing 200+/- in Febr.
    with mostly bouncing above 200, haha!
    The real battle will be to stay under 200 than losing the 25 lbs.

Next week I'm visiting a friend who fancies himself a 1st rate cook, so the week will be governed by
    3 meals/day with snacks & I don't know how I'm going to be able to navigate it & not be a jerk. :wallbash:

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    4.9 A1C @ 200 lbs. :wow:
    1st time ever broke 5.0 since testing for 20 yrs.
    It was a natural result of 5 weeks of intermittent fasting & no added sugars & very low carbs diet.
    Ate alot of tuna, sardines, smoked herring, some chicken & raw or cooked veggies & protein shakes.

Weight down from 225 to 199 (x6) in the past 5 weeks with me bouncing 200+/- in Febr.
    with mostly bouncing above 200, haha!
    The real battle will be to stay under 200 than losing the 25 lbs.

Next week I'm visiting a friend who fancies himself a 1st rate cook, so the week will be governed by
    3 meals/day with snacks & I don't know how I'm going to be able to navigate it & not be a jerk. :wallbash:

Nice work!!

When in similar situations, once I receive my plated food, I tell the host how lovely everything looks, how great it smells, and how I am absolutely sure that it will taste fantastic. I then let them know that, through no fault of the meal, I will only eat exactly half of what is on my plate. I don't explain, I don't negotiate, and I don't argue. It has helped me avoid the whole justification/explanation cycle that usually ends with me giving in and finishing the helping.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    In my experience, if I lose the weight fast, I go back to my old habits and put it back on fast. Patience is a key. I've found that if I cut down on bad foods, i.e. fast food, sweets, soft drinks, etc., I will lose weight slowly without feeling deprived. I try to cut back on eating more calories than I expend, but I eat something on my bad food list once in a while. One thing I think is important is to keep my protein level high. This is hard to do for folks who give up all meat, but protein shakes help. Losing weight too fast can result in muscle loss, which isn't a good thing, especially for us folks, who have trouble maintaining strong muscles. I don't use scales except every six months at the doctor. I've found that if I check my weight often and I find that I've lost a few pounds, it gives the green light to the devil on my shoulder to eat more! Having a weight loss support partner at home makes it easier, too. For those who struggle with overweight: Keep on keepin' on. It is a marathon, not a sprint!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    In my experience, if I lose the weight fast, I go back to my old habits and put it back on fast. Patience is a key. I've found that if I cut down on bad foods, i.e. fast food, sweets, soft drinks, etc., I will lose weight slowly without feeling deprived. I try to cut back on eating more calories than I expend, but I eat something on my bad food list once in a while. One thing I think is important is to keep my protein level high. This is hard to do for folks who give up all meat, but protein shakes help. Losing weight too fast can result in muscle loss, which isn't a good thing, especially for us folks, who have trouble maintaining strong muscles. I don't use scales except every six months at the doctor. I've found that if I check my weight often and I find that I've lost a few pounds, it gives the green light to the devil on my shoulder to eat more! Having a weight loss support partner at home makes it easier, too. For those who struggle with overweight: Keep on keepin' on. It is a marathon, not a sprint!
    Very insightful & I have had to learn many of the things you speak of.
    After getting to 196 two yrs ago, I didn't think I'd ever get back up to 215 again, or 220.
    I was right: I went up to 225. :ugh: :nono::facepalm::wallbash::dunno:
    I had lost 25 lbs prior slowly over yrs by eliminating all the wonderful foods that carbs provide! :laugh:

I am going to continue the daily intermittent fasting approach, which I prefer calling the
    time-restricted eating approach, supplementing with my once-per-month 36-40 hr. fasting.

I am addicted to weighing every am & before bed: keeps me motivated.
    I use the MyFitnessPal app which shows for as long as I've been using it,
    I have continued to saturated myself since Jan 1st with articles & research & testimonies about what people are trying from Vegetarian to Carnivore diet & everything between.
    The low-carb approach makes the most sense for me, since I eat mostly veggies anyway, concentrating on fish with red meat sparingly.
    The wife does make a mean pork chop with sauerkraut. :thumbsup:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Back to IF, prepping for BJJ competition season. 16hr fasting, cutting my daily calorie intake to around 1500, and training during the IF (which takes a bit of adjustment to get used to high level output on an empty stomach). Dropping from 227lbs to about 218lbs. It doesn't seem like a lot but my body really likes to stay 220lbs as a healthy weight.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Back to IF, prepping for BJJ competition season. 16hr fasting, cutting my daily calorie intake to around 1500, and training during the IF (which takes a bit of adjustment to get used to high level output on an empty stomach). Dropping from 227lbs to about 218lbs. It doesn't seem like a lot but my body really likes to stay 220lbs as a healthy weight.
    Boy, do I really understand a "set point" that won't let go! :wallbash:
    200 is my nemesis.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Boy, do I really understand a "set point" that won't let go! :wallbash:
    200 is my nemesis.
    If it wasn't for making my competition weight, 220lbs is fine. I look/feel good there. However, we weigh in just before we step on the matt and I have to be under 222lb with my 4lb GI on. Over 222lb and I'm competing with unlimited weight guys. Rolling with a 300+ guys SUCKS!!!!

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    I have 4 friends that I'm talking with about all this.
    3 are actively "making changes" with the other either still in denial or secretly doing so & just doesn't want to tell me, haha!
    One friend is doing the 1 meal per day routine with success.
    I call that approach: intermittent fasting on "steroids," haha!

On a personal note, after 23 days, I'm 21 down pounds, from 225 to 205.
    For 10 days now I been vacillating around 205+/- on a real set point or plateau.
    Next goal is 200 & it will be slow coming, & will be another plateau.
    This all happened 2 yrs ago & I expect no less this time.

Really looking forward to my blood test 2nd week of February.
    Am I one doing it or am I the one in denial?

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Just got back from Phoenix visiting old friends.
    I knew I'd gain 1 or 2 lb/day (7 -14 lbs total). :nono:
    Last Sunday I left at 200 & immediately shot up to 204, but settled back at 201 mostly but the last 2 days went up 204 Friday, then 207 Saturday. :facepalm:

We would eat breakfast & dinner, better than 3 meals/day, haha!
    There were cookies, candy, ice cream, bread, spaghetti & meatballs (to kill for), & smoked pulled pork along with other delights like sausage gravy over biscuits! :wallbash:
    I was actually amazed that I was still 201 on Thursday, but it caught up with me the last 2 days (204 & 207). :dunno:
    The friend I took with me did a better job of saying no to some cookies, bread & candy than myself. :bash:
    He does the 1 meal/day approach.

Hope to get back to 200 by this time next week.
    Then I can renew the battle to get & stay under 200, haha!

I am committed to a low carb, no/low sugar approach.
    Doesn't work away from home, but easier while home again.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Last 7 of 8 days were -200.
    11 of 28 days in February were under 200, even though I travelled to AZ to be with friends which set my back 10 days to undo! :nono:

Techniques using to stay under 200 in February:
    - 44 hour fast
    - liquid only days
    - putting off breakfast until mid-afternoon
    - 1 meal per day
    - eating 18-22 hours after last meal day before.
    - no sugar
    - no or very low carb foods
    - daily watching educational vids about everything food/eating

I knew it would be more difficult to stay -200, than losing 25 lbs in January.
    I'm living the dream now, haha! :dunno:
    Since it is the 1st of the month, I'm doing my normal 36-40 hour fast.
    Looking forward to eggs & bacon with salsa & jalapeños tomorrow, haha! :thumbsup:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Last 15/17 days -200 :rockwoot:
    It is work keeping it -200.
    Continuing low carb & IF/TRE (Intermittent fasting/time restricted eating) approach.
    Example of yesterday:
    - 1 pm banana (1st time since last December)
    - 2 pm shrimp (55 peices, haha!)
    - 7 pm some nuts

I have also incorporated some Apple Cider Vinegar: unfiltered, unprocessed with "Mother" included.
    This is supposed to be helpful in controlling glucose spikes which is why I'm motivated to keep sugars, carbs & processed foods at a stark minimum: type 2 diabetic.
    I'm motivated to keep the regime strict for my next blood test in May.
    My A1C was fantastic at 4.9 last February, but my fasting glucose was 142, Dr. would not let me continue not taking the Metformin I want to get off.
    My cholesterol numbers were up, however, as well as my B/P, so I'm hoping if I can slowly get down to under 195, & see if that will help.
    My secret goal is kissing 189 (in my dreams), so I can level off around 195 "comfortably."
    If that doesn't help my "numbers" then I will not be as strict.

Last 4 weeks results.
    February 12-18 I was on vacation & didn't practice my low carb diet, haha!
    The chart does not lie, haha!
    weight chart 03.11.2023.PNG
    myfitnespal app: been using for 8-ish yrs.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I did a 5-day water fast this week.

Spiritual and health reasons. It went well. Never really felt hungry the whole time.
    Totally awesome!
    I haven't done "only water" for years now.
    For spiritual reasons I fast at the beginning of every month for about
    36 – 40-ish hours,
    but I am drinking coffee/tea.
    Since most people only do a
    24 hour fast,
    I did indulge in broth at the this last month.
    once a person fasts over 2–3 days, that's a hole other level of cleansing and healing that goes on inside the body that is priceless!

Top Bottom