Is it bad if corn isn't harvested by now?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Looking for insight here.
    I rent some acreage to a farmer. He hasn't harvested the corn yet. I haven't yet contacted him, cuz I ain't no farmer and have no idea how his job is supposed to be done. But I gather most everyone has harvested by now.

Is it damaging to the land come spring, if it doesn't get harvested?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Its not really damage to the land. It will create some extra fodder, but the more that rots in your field, the more nutrients go back into the ground (good thing for your ground). Corn was not made to stand this long in the year. He is aware its past time to get it out.

I live on a farm, but am far from an expert. If someone comes along and says something different than my understanding of the situation believe them over me.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Cool. I will contact him and find out what's up.
    I sorta figured the nutrients would be good. Wasn't sure if the stalks & ears will make it difficult to use next year

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Some farmers are having to store their grain in the field this year. The harvest was so big this year in some areas that there simply isn't sufficient room to store it.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Will not hurt a thing for it to be there and if you hunt you will be in a honey hole with all that food for the deer... Hunt the crap out of it...

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    We just finished shelling this week. We (the farm i work for) do 9000 acres. I have 30 acres that I rent to a small local farmer. He farms by himself and is always late getting the crop out. He is a good farmer. He might be slow but when you don't have help...maybe he was broke down for a while and got behind. Maybe he was ill, hard to tell.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Some farmers are having to store their grain in the field this year. The harvest was so big this year in some areas that there simply isn't sufficient room to store it.

:+1:

Most silos and facilities in the midwest are full to capacity this year between a bumper crop and the slow down of moving grain out due to the last winter being hard. He may not have any choice to leave it standing.

:+1:

MickeyBlueEyes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    BFE, Indiana
    If you rent the land, and it isn't harvested, you aren't paid. I have a land lease and a pay by November 1st. Only issue with the land by spring is if it's not harvested by spring it won't be planted. The roots will rot all winter and if the corn starts to lay down from the wind or snow, your harvest will be short. The plants are designed to stand one season without rot if they are hybrids or modified. Old World Corn will rot quicker, because it was not hybridized and the plants werent designed to stand for extended time. I imagine that your farmer was planting a hybrid of some sort. Hope that the input helps.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Son in law farms and is usually done by now. Weather is always a factor along with equipment breakdowns which you can't predict. Grain farming is a tough business. I admire the farmers and believe its a business that if you aren't born into, its probably not for you. Love the line from the song "Oklahoma": "We know we belong to the land, and the land we belong to is grand!"

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    If you rent the land, and it isn't harvested, you aren't paid. I have a land lease and a pay by November 1st. Only issue with the land by spring is if it's not harvested by spring it won't be planted. The roots will rot all winter and if the corn starts to lay down from the wind or snow, your harvest will be short. The plants are designed to stand one season without rot if they are hybrids or modified. Old World Corn will rot quicker, because it was not hybridized and the plants werent designed to stand for extended time. I imagine that your farmer was planting a hybrid of some sort. Hope that the input helps.

Thanks. I'll reach out to him and find out what's up. It's only 5 acres.
    I do wish to continue to rent out the land, and wouldn't want to miss next season because of this. So I wonder what happens if he refuses, and I try to get someone else to harvest it out of there. Even if they dump it in a pile, just so long as the land can be tilled/planted next season.

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    I'll take a stab as I farm.

You rent for cash, you should be getting your rent payment regardless of the harvest.
    If you 50/50 crop share, I'd be on edge as 50% of the corn out there is yours.

As to why it isn't harvested, there have been some bottlenecks to storage and handling due to a larger crop. But the harvest was drug out over time so this shouldn't be an issue at this later date.

I suspect that the soil was too wet to drive the machinery across and maybe waiting for a freeze was the best course? Not sure what your weather has been, but I would rather not cut ruts.

If it snows and its not cold (less than 15º) you can't run the combine in those conditions either.

Also the snow will let the ground thaw! And you're back to cutting ruts.

Shouldn't be much of a problem to get it out yet if it's standing good.

Being able to plant next years crop shouldn't be a problem dealing with the cornstalks left from fall, no-till beans will work fine. (especially if you don't cut ruts this fall!)

Top Bottom