Is it bad if corn isn't harvested by now?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woodwalker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Brownstown
    Probably just behind this year due to a cool summer and a huge crop. Just call him and get an update until then go hunt some deer. Have corn still by my house and deer are in and out all day and night

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Any chance you could get depredation? You could clean up. I know I have a freezer to fill. Then if you could talk the guy out of his corn, you could, um, make stuff out of it.

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    I also heard we don't have enough rail capacity to transport the corn either. Huge crop.

That is partically true, Ag products have a much lower profit margin when shipped by rail vs other commodities like oil. Right now the boom in oil reserves coming out of the dakota's ( and there higher revenue) along with this years bumper crop has put a pinch on railroads. Alot of grain cars are sitting in sidings being used as storage since the locomotives and crews are not available to move both them and the oil.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Most silos and facilities in the midwest are full to capacity this year between a bumper crop and the slow down of moving grain out due to the last winter being hard. He may not have any choice to leave it standing.

This is the most likely issue... everybody is full and has nowhere to put the harvest... you either leave it in the field, or you dump it on piles on the ground and cover it with a tarp...

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Perhaps not in its current form :cool:

There's this crazy corn processing animal that tastes PHENOMENAL! There must be a LOT of gross stuff in raw corn because the stuff that falls out of the animal is foul, but the little bit that's tasty and accumulates over tons of corn and 9 months is just awesome.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I guess ethanol production isn't in high demand with all this surplus sitting about?

The ethanol plants can only process so much per day... once their storage capacity is to 100% they can only take in so much each day as that day's production consumes some. Up until my dad finished up with harvest last week the ethanol plant he hauls to was only taking 20,000 bushels per day, which indicates they can only process that much per day. 20,000 bushels is only 20 semi trucks full. Only 20 semi trucks per day... when there are thousands of farmers trying to finish their harvest and a place as large as an ethanol plant can only take 20 trucks/day it takes a long time to finish off the last bit of harvest because if you only have 1 semi then you can only dump 1 semi per day. You have to line up the night before to get to dump so there is no way to refill the semi and get back to dump twice in the same day. 1 semi will hold ~3-6 acres of corn (depending on yield). So a 40 acre field would take as much as 14 days to harvest simply because the farmer can't get rid of the corn...

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Time to get busy Robbie!

412rNTJZ6-L._SY355_.jpg

Just in time for the Xmas rush on "INGO Cormeal."

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    Some farmers are having to store their grain in the field this year. The harvest was so big this year in some areas that there simply isn't sufficient room to store it.

Some of farmers near me were hauling their grain 1-1/2 hours to Evansville because local elevators could not get it shipped out as fast as it was coming in. After rains last weekend the ground will need to freeze to get back in, at least on fields I trudged across this week. Very soggy now.

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    We're all getting screwed! Corn price in the crapper & E-85 not cheap enough to offset the energy loss.
    Not sure on the blender credits....thought those might have expired.
    (But of course there is no .gov help for oil, or the defense of it)

......waiting for the obligatory "we are burning our food" post

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Well, I just wanted to know if I need to be proactive in keeping the land productive. But I'll call him tomorrow and hash something out (Didn't want to bother him on thanksgiving day)
    It has certainly been an eye opening experience to discover the current overstock grain conditions, especially in light of the supposed shortages and higher food prices last year.

I am always interested in learning more, so keep it coming.

Top Bottom