• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    This coalition is a shabby window dressing created for political and diplomatic needs. Aside from all the reasons that it's militarily impotent, some of the members are terrorists or dominated by terrorists ie Lebanon&hizbullah. Likewise, the coalition organizer is the ideological font for many terrorist organizations.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

...yeah. Remember sometimes what Arabs say isn't always literal. A statement of "let's meet for dinner" without the proper signals it's a real offer just means "we're good enough friends we could meet for dinner" and isn't a real invite. This plays into politics as well.

I'm still quite skeptical that this "coalition" will do anything other than talk, and they may not do that, but we'll see.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I suspect a lot of the Sunni V Shi'a in modern times boils down to politics and gives a sprinkling of religious cover to war and violence to maintain political power.

Well, I think you may have 2016 Exhibit A for this proposition:
    Saudi Arabia's allies Bahrain, Sudan and UAE act against Iran - BBC News

A number of Saudi Arabia's allies have joined diplomatic action against Iran after the Saudi embassy in Tehran was attacked amid a row over the execution of a Shia Muslim cleric.
    Bahrain and Sudan have both severed relations with Iran, and the UAE has downgraded its diplomatic team.
    Saudi Arabia on Sunday severed ties and gave Iran's diplomats two days to go.
    Saudi Arabia and Iran are the key Sunni and Shia powers in the region and back opposing sides in Syria and Yemen.

Lines on maps clarify where to dig the trenches.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    OPEC turmoil.

Qatar row: Saudi and Egypt among countries to cut Doha links - BBC News

A number of Arab countries including Saudi Arabia and Egypt have cut diplomatic ties with Qatar, accusing it of destabilising the region.
    They say Qatar backs militant groups including so-called Islamic State (IS) and al-Qaeda, which Qatar denies.

Lots of issues with this, not the least of which the US is allies with basically all of the countries. Then there's the issue of Saudi hypocrisy in the matters....

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The Saudi Arabian - US policy: ... placate the Americans, and then do something that furthers your goals which conflict with theirs.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Apparently, Turkey isn't as upset with Qatar as the Gulf States.

Qatar row: Arab states send list of steep demands - BBC News

The Turkish military base in Qatar was set up under an agreement signed in 2014.
    Two dozen more Turkish soldiers and five armoured cars arrived in Qatar on Thursday, Turkish newspaper Hurriyet reports. Turkey already has some 90 soldiers deployed at the base.
    Turkish Defence Minister Fikri Isik was quoted by Reuters as saying any demand for the base's closure would represent interference in Ankara's relations with Qatar.

Oh... but this....

America's largest base in the Middle East is in Qatar.

Quick cultural note: in predominantly Muslim societies, it is a tradition to offer an enemy a chance for resolution of grievances before committing to confrontation. This is that, IMHO.

There isn't really an expectation that it will work, but it is a face-saving justification for what happens next. "We tried to resolve it...."

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I always thought Qatar had a lot of contradictions. Sitting at a stoplight in Doha I remember seeing a Cadillac dealership, a steakhouse and a big bank. At the same time they have al jazerra based there and they take the GITMO 5. In 2005 when a British school got carbombed I thought they tried to make a deal with the devil.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    ...yeah. Remember sometimes what Arabs say isn't always literal. A statement of "let's meet for dinner" without the proper signals it's a real offer just means "we're good enough friends we could meet for dinner" and isn't a real invite. This plays into politics as well.

Wait a minute...Are you saying Arabs are Argentine's with out the Tango and the funny Gaucho pants????? Because that sure sounds like it....

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Todd Snyder reference observed, and points tallied.

;)

How dare you Gen X!!!! That was a David Alan Coe/Steve Goodman reference......

Todd Snyder knew what Hemingway knew..."Good writers write...Great writers steal.....":)

[video=youtube;PYIrs1Dx4Ck]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYIrs1Dx4Ck[/video]

(You're the law...I was born in August, 1964....Some say I am the last of the baby boomer's and others say I am first of the Generation X'ers....Which is it????? I am in an identity crisis!!!!!! Am I hippie or punk????? I liked grunge but at 26 was I too old???? It's KILLING ME LEX!!!!! IT's KILLING ME!!!!! And what about my affinity for Uncle Tupelo and Todd Snyder????? Where do I fit in this identity politics landscape I find myself thrust in to.....Oh the humanity!!!!!)

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Mind. Blown.

I had no idea Snyder was THAT meta. I mean, I think he's a great lyricist and musician generally, but that clearly WAS a reference to something I was totally unfamiliar with.

In terms of your birth year (and your geography and your hobbies), I'm totally comfortable saying you're someone who bridges different social and cultural norms. :)

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    In terms of your birth year (and your geography and your hobbies), I'm totally comfortable saying you're someone who bridges different social and cultural norms. :)

So-then-i-stood-up-and-told-that-techin-lady-the-only-Redneck-Meme.jpg

35be52389efd1af1eb7104189c5a9647.jpg

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Mind. Blown.

I had no idea Snyder was THAT meta. I mean, I think he's a great lyricist and musician generally, but that clearly WAS a reference to something I was totally unfamiliar with.

[video=youtube;c-q7Mih69KE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-q7Mih69KE[/video]

smittygj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    Kingdom of Bahrain
    [COLOR=#4B5238 said:
    Remember sometimes what Arabs say isn't always literal. A statement of "let's meet for dinner" without the proper signals it's a real offer just means "we're good enough friends we could meet for dinner" and isn't a real invite. This plays into politics as well.[/COLOR]

I can so affirm this as I live over here. Never have I been so nicely treated, hands shaken, and at the same time be basically told to go F*** myself. This part of the world truly is a unique experience.

Top Bottom