• ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Why couldn't you work from home in operations?

A lot of operations teams dislike WFH except on rare occasions. My previous work experience was onsite support, so there was no such thing as working from home. The best thing about my current position is the flexibility. I work from home a couple hours, drive in when traffic has slowed down, then head home at 3pm. If I'm still busy, I'll work another hour or two before logging out for the day. If I have reasons, I can work part or all of the day from home, but not as often as previously. It's too bad as I know I could work from home 24/7 and do my job without any issues.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    A lot of operations teams dislike WFH except on rare occasions. My previous work experience was onsite support, so there was no such thing as working from home. The best thing about my current position is the flexibility. I work from home a couple hours, drive in when traffic has slowed down, then head home at 3pm. If I'm still busy, I'll work another hour or two before logging out for the day. If I have reasons, I can work part or all of the day from home, but not as often as previously. It's too bad as I know I could work from home 24/7 and do my job without any issues.

I love working from home. I could really do my job completely from home. We're getting ready to go through some remodeling/rearranging of departments at work, so for a few months we'll be "hotelling" - nobody will have an assigned desk/cube and there won't be enough for everyone, so I'm going to be working from home even more than I do now (normally 3 days out of 2 weeks but more if needed for various reasons). With teleconferencing, Skype and VPN there's really nothing I can't do from home.

They actually get more productivity out of me from home too. I start at 4 a.m. from home, 6 a.m. if I have to go to the office. I can take an hour for lunch at home since I start earlier and if I do need to work past my normal quitting time, it's no big deal since I'm already home. I'm a smoker, so I can smoke at my desk at home instead of having to walk downstairs and outside to the smoking area too.

2Lucky

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2018
    Notre Dame
    I went through "screening" (testing) for a job on four levels. No one ever interviewed me. I passed all the tests with flying colors so you are probably wondering why I didnt get the job. It was because I am over 40. My friend who is a lawyer told me that IF I could prove age discrimination I would only get $3,000 and he would take $1,000. Ya there are laws but no meaningful penalties for companies that sell $400 million of product a year........

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Ah, onsite support is always an exception. I've been work WFH for at least a day a week in operations for over 10 years now. The only IT team we have that can't in the end user support team, the onsite guys.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Ah, onsite support is always an exception. I've been work WFH for at least a day a week in operations for over 10 years now. The only IT team we have that can't in the end user support team, the onsite guys.

Yeah, yay us... lol! Happy to have made a change... :yesway:

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    I wish you luck, I was looking at job hunting after being at the same job for 17.5 years. I was downsized November 1st. My career field is shallow, either tv or radio. Locally that means 3-5 companies and I couldn’t get a job at the one I was let go from. I had a nice severance package so after trying for a month, I quit and waited the birth of my second child. Two weeks before she was born, I had an interview at the other tv station in town. Wasn’t offered anything but got the hint I was the preferred person. The Monday after my second daughter was born I got the offer and started a week later. I took a pay cut and travel farther but insurance is better and cheaper for my kids then my wife gets. They will get put on it next year as we met 95% of our deductible for this year already and 75% of our of pocket max. I pretty much picked up what to do within a week.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Temp job scoring tests starts at 8:00 this morning (Tuesday). I should be asleep.

Whatever pride I have is not getting in the way of me working for low pay at a mind-numbing temp position at a place that I would rather never enter again in this life.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Temp job scoring tests starts at 8:00 this morning (Tuesday). I should be asleep.

Whatever pride I have is not getting in the way of me working for low pay at a mind-numbing temp position at a place that I would rather never enter again in this life.

Is it worse that a plastic injection plant or heavy plate locomotive welding?

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    After working for engineering and construction companies since '78, in the last buy out our division got spun off to what amounts to a personnel placement service. It hasn't collapsed in on itself yet but it is only a matter of time.
    :n00b:

Got 17 windows so far to use in building the green house.
    :patriot:

10mmMarc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 16, 2015
    Greenwood
    My company outsourced all of our employees, 21 years ago , we still do the same thing we always did, we thought the writing was on the wall for us too , but it was just a management decision to get away from one aspect of their business and it let them focus on the real business and freed up capital to do so.
    Don't over think it , now if they start cutting hours or ask you to take a pay cut then I might get nervous, but if you are still making the same money and benefits with no surprises other than the name on the paycheck changing, don't worry about it.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    My company outsourced all of our employees, 21 years ago , we still do the same thing we always did, we thought the writing was on the wall for us too , but it was just a management decision to get away from one aspect of their business and it let them focus on the real business and freed up capital to do so.
    Don't over think it , now if they start cutting hours or ask you to take a pay cut then I might get nervous, but if you are still making the same money and benefits with no surprises other than the name on the paycheck changing, don't worry about it.

If it was any other company than the one we were outsourced to, I'd be right there with you. This company has a pretty poor reputation in the industry, having been sued multiple times and named in various news reports about forcing outsourced employees to train their replacements.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    ...The higher ups figured something was up. They gave the test to some of our best drivers. They failed. We canned the testing after that.

I worked in a shop where that happened. Only it was with a drug test.;)

When the three best operators in the shop tested positive for weed, the testing policy was immediately dropped.:laugh:

Top Bottom