• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Come on -- didn't you watch the interview last night? Nothing happened, they were just "horsing around"! Well, sure, he probably shouldn't have showered, naked, with naked young boys, but there was nothing sexual. Those rhythmic slapping sounds were just the sounds of them cracking each other with towels. Well, sure, he did touch some of them on their legs, and maybe he shouldn't have done that, either, but there was nothing sexual. And attracted to young boys? Well... hmmm... attracted? Hmm... Not "attracted", sexually, he just really likes to be around young people, they make him feel... energized.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Come on -- didn't you watch the interview last night? Nothing happened, they were just "horsing around"! Well, sure, he probably shouldn't have showered, naked, with naked young boys, but there was nothing sexual. Those rhythmic slapping sounds were just the sounds of them cracking each other with towels. Well, sure, he did touch some of them on their legs, and maybe he shouldn't have done that, either, but there was nothing sexual. And attracted to young boys? Well... hmmm... attracted? Hmm... Not "attracted", sexually, he just really likes to be around young people, they make him feel... energized.

That was the only question he repeated and then he repeated it twice. Went off on his rambling answer, then reigned it back in and said "no". The guy is a liar, or at least acting like one.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    This is an interesting case, and will likely establish a precedent going forward in terms of case law.

A few things I find interesting thus far as generalities:

1) Sandusky has been considered guilty until proven innocent by many of the general public. That is in stark contrast to how our judicial system has been designed to treat the accused as innocent until proven guilty.

2) Many called for, and are now delighted that Paterno lost his job, as well as other Sr. staff at PSU. However, the limited evidence we do have from the initial Grand Jury procedings is that they did not break any laws.

3) Relevant to #1 and 2, if Sandusky is found guilty, that may open up the door for civil litigation against Paterno et al, but what if he's proven innocent? Should Paterno and others get their jobs back?

4) Many have called for Paterno to be fired or step down because he failed to fulfill a "Moral Obligation." I find this so ironic in an age where we continually insist as a society that we don't impose our morals on other people. Yes, I think that most people, even the most immoral person out there would probably even agree that what Sandusky is accused of is wrong. But who defines what is / is not morally acceptable?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Careful, you may just spur a religious discussion. ;)

That is the problem with our current society. If our rights don't come from God then they are invented by man and arrived at by consensus. Therefore they can be changed as that consensus changes.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Regardless of who the Author of anyone's moral code is...

You cannot read very much of that Grand Jury testitmony without arriving at some pretty stark conclusions.

1) If a tenth of what is written there is true, Mr. Sandusky is a sexual predator that deserves the worst that he's about to get.

2) The graduate assistant acted in good faith and did what was right - props to them.

3) Practically everyone else at Penn State fell short of the mark (at a bare minimum) and has engaged in a whole lot of CYA... I don't know what Sandusky has that he held over their heads, but their actions towards him seem pretty out of line.

Bottom line - a whole lot of people in that program, that parents entrusted their children to, failed in a big way.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    But who defines what is / is not morally acceptable?

....the INDIVIDUAL. Period. Can one force another to BELIEVE in their moral beliefs? NO. Can one stick to their own personal moral beliefs even in the face of scrutiny and persecution? YES. Morality is purely an individual entity, not a consensus, not something to be voted on.

"Moral obligation" is a fancy way of saying DO WHAT IS RIGHT. It is a matter not of law, but of humanity. He could have done something to protect those weaker than himself, but instead he turned a blind eye and allowed the weak and voiceless (children) to be preyed upon in his own backyard. Any person of his stature, and as one of the states highest paid employees would expect a massive backlash when this info went public!

sipowicz30

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2011
    North Central Indiana

Joe Paterno could have done more. But have you ever had a long trustedfriend go off the reservation. When the news came you could not believe whatwas happening. You were shocked and the accusations could not be true. You caneasily pass off or deny because you have trusted the person. You could never beassociated with anyone that would do something so horrible.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana

Joe Paterno could have done more. But have you ever had a long trustedfriend go off the reservation. When the news came you could not believe whatwas happening. You were shocked and the accusations could not be true. You caneasily pass off or deny because you have trusted the person. You could never beassociated with anyone that would do something so horrible.

If my friend was accused of doing some dope, stealing supplies, running around on his wife, I might tell him to stop being a dumbass. But child molesting? I might cut my own brother's throat for that.

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    2) Many called for, and are now delighted that Paterno lost his job, as well as other Sr. staff at PSU. However, the limited evidence we do have from the initial Grand Jury procedings is that they did not break any laws.
    Which is why he isn't under indictment from the grand jury. However, legal vs. illegal has nothing to do with why he lost his job. He lost his job because he RUNS the PSU football program and is in charge of EVERYTHING related to it. He was Sandusky's boss. He did not take the proper steps to protect the kids. Less important, his failures also did not protect PSU and it's athletic programs. You don't think this is going to cost them millions of $$$? Could that have been mitigated if he acted 10 years ago? That is why he and others have lost their jobs.

Whether he did anything illegal is beside the point. Many people get fired every day when they didn't do anything illegal.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Which is why he isn't under indictment from the grand jury. However, legal vs. illegal has nothing to do with why he lost his job. He lost his job because he RUNS the PSU football program and is in charge of EVERYTHING related to it. He was Sandusky's boss. He did not take the proper steps to protect the kids. Less important, his failures also did not protect PSU and it's athletic programs. You don't think this is going to cost them millions of $$$? Could that have been mitigated if he acted 10 years ago? That is why he and others have lost their jobs.

Whether he did anything illegal is beside the point. Many people get fired every day when they didn't do anything illegal.

I think it already has, and will cost them much more in the future. My point is this...what if Sandusky never did any of this and the Grad. Asst. made it all up? Yeah, that is far fetched, but so far the reason everyone been fired is on the presumption that Sandusky is guilty of the acts he is accused of committing.

If Sandusky is guilty then yes, Paterno et al could have and should have done more than they did if they had the knowledge they apparently had of the situation.

But what if Sandusky never did any of the things he's accused of?

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    I think as hard as it is Paterno got what was coming to him. He should have acted once the University took no action. I mean givien that it was child molestation you can't just wipe your hands clean after reporting to the U.

And the POS grad assistant I mean how could you not intervene? Like someone said earlier, folding chair???? Or at LEAST notify the cops! Lately he says he did but both city and university police say they have no record of him reporting it.

And while I thonn Paterno got what he deserved I do not like how the news has been showing his picture witht he words child molestation under it. My son thought that he was the perp and was suprised when I told him it was someone else.

Sandusky appears to be a terrible human being and seemed very slimy and creepy in his interview.
    Does this mean Cedar Point will have to move?

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    And the POS grad assistant I mean how could you not intervene? Like someone said earlier, folding chair???? Or at LEAST notify the cops! Lately he says he did but both city and university police say they have no record of him reporting it.

I guess it's always possible that there was a huge cover-up, but Mcqueary just seems like a coward that is trying to save face now that he's getting dogged on by everyone for being a *****.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I guess it's always possible that there was a huge cover-up, but Mcqueary just seems like a coward that is trying to save face now that he's getting dogged on by everyone for being a *****.

I'm normally the type to scoff at the huge cover up angle, but the fact that the DA who didn't press charges just up and disappeared and his laptop with presumably all of his case info was found destroyed in the Susquehanna river ... Makes me wonder if there isn't some sort of huge cover up.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    I'm normally the type to scoff at the huge cover up angle, but the fact that the DA who didn't press charges just up and disappeared and his laptop with presumably all of his case info was found destroyed in the Susquehanna river ... Makes me wonder if there isn't some sort of huge cover up.

Great point. I had forgotten about that. He was eventually declared dead wasn't he?

Top Bottom