• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    It's nice to see someone actually wants to serve, usually we hear of people trying to get out of jury duty. I hope you get picked, it's an interesting experience. You will gain a new perspective of how the system works, or doesn't.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    i truely believe in ones civic duty. I have sat in on afew trials before being invited by an old judge I was friends with, and then one time for part of a murder trial in business law class in high school. it is very interesting how it works for sure.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    I was a juror on an "assault with a deadly weapon" case between two prisoners and it was awesome. One guy went into the cell of another and beat his brains out with a broom handle. It was a pretty cut and dry case and took two days. I would do it again in a heart beat if I could.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I got my notice just over a month ago, and on the night before I called like I was supposed to. There was only one group number that needed to show up and that was mine.

When I went the next day, they handed out numbers, and mine was pretty high up the list. When we were led into the court room (Superior) I felt we were treated to a really nice history of how the court works by the judge. I really had a good time finding out how real and how fake the TV courts are. Turns out the trial was a civil trial and they only needed 6 jurors, so they never did get to me, but the selection process and judge's orders were really interesting and I have to say I am glad I went.

E5RANGER375, I think you are going to enjoy yourself.

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    I have gotten a summons letter twice a year since turning 18 and registering to vote (17 years ago). I have only made the first cut twice to go downtown.
    Then I spent 4 hours sitting in a large room with a few hundred other perspective jurors and was never called.

So don't get your hopes up, take a book with you, inappropriate dress in THEIR eyes gets you a "Thank you and have a nice day" and sent on your way at check in.

Once you actually have to appear at designated location you are supposed to be exempt for so many months after, well that never happened with me.

I'm about due for another summons so we'll see how that goes.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I was called last year, and was actually seated on the jury in a molesting case, but the last two people in the jury pool whined and begged their way out of it, and there was only ten of us left, so the judge delayed the trial, and told the ten of us we were done with jury duty for 24 months.:dunno:

I found the whole process (what little of it I got to see anyway) to be fascinating, and will gladly serve again. :yesway:

Congrats my fellow American!

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Oh yeah, what really chapped my ass is that, out of the 60 people to get a jury duty summons, only 27 of us showed up.:xmad: Lazy jerk offs! The court clerk told the judge that she had only excused three of the 60 beforehand.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I've gotten a jury duty summons at least 4 times that I can remember. Every time my number was selected and I showed up as instructed. Twice I even made it as far as voir dire. One of those times I was selected, but only as an alternate. I never saw any of the trial but had to remain available if needed.

It was funny watching one guy trying to make sure he wasn't selected. While answering a question during voir dire, he commented that any defendant that made it this far in the process had to be guilty. He was obvious in his attempt to be eliminated. Of course he was, but the judge made sure he had to sit in the pool all day, "because there may be other cases in which he could serve".

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Did it, got to be foreman of the jury too. Had to actually talk my way into not getting cut. The Prosecution had a look in their eye and the questions were obvious that he wanted me cut, but a little verbal dance, a good sci-fi quote and I got on.

In the end he got a conviction that was hard argued.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    well I received that dreaded letter in the mail today that so many people fear.

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot:

I have wanted to be a juror for so long. will I be able to squash injustice against a citizen
    Dear jury selection committee;
    I am so excited to serve on a jury. I'm a firm believer in jury nullification, and I'm sure that whatever BS law you've charged the defendant with breaking, it's unconstitutional and in need of nullification. See you in court!
    Sincerely,
    E5Ranger

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    well I received that dreaded letter in the mail today that so many people fear.

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot:

I have wanted to be a juror for so long. will I be able to squash injustice against a citizen or maybe help put away a bad criminal???

Either way I believe this is one of the most important and honorable things we as citizens can do in this country, as civilians. I take it very seriously and I FINALLY GET MY SHOT!

what should I wear? Im thinking my dont tread on me shirt under a nice sport coat and jeans. :):

Rep added.

I was fresh out of high school when I got called and served on a murder jury. The guy's sentence should keep him locked up until June of 2060. Instead, his projected release is December of 2012. I suppose I should take comfort in the fact that he was eligible for parole in 1992, yet he is still locked up. Maybe they'll keep him in.... he IS in Texas, after all.

Blessings,
    Bill

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I've been called twice. The first was right out of high school. I wasn't seated. The second time I forgot to call on the last night and wouldn't you know it, my group was selected to show up the next day. I called the office and they placed me in a group for the next week (I think they knew what was going to be called and put me in there a'purpose.)

It was a molestation case and I was seated. I think I'd rather see crime scene photos of mutilated bodies than have to listen to the accusations and details against the defendant. But it was a short trial. Two days.

Take a book. An inconspicuous one.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    good for you for being excited. i've never been called, and i always imagined i would be in the center of the courtroom, next to a public defender, rather than in the box on the side. thankfully that's never happened in anything other than traffic court.

Top Bottom