• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Round 2 rant: Snoke, Phasma, Leia.... crap. I mean c'mon! The more I think about this more the more I'm starting to hate it. It's directionless, unrealistic, doesn't flow from the end of the orinal trilogy, characters are underdeveloped, cameos serve no purpose, promising villains suck, no back story payoff. This movie is just trash. I was iffy with "The Force Awakens," this one confirms my fears about the direction of the "Episodes." The "Anthology" film "Rogue One" was excellent. I'm giving the "Episodes" til 2019 to get their act together, if that that one sucks, I won't be watching any more. The Anthology films haven't burned me yet, so I guess I'll have to see how that goes.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Went last night with wife, just turned 11 year old son and his friend. The boys loved it. Lots of action scenes, amazing 3D special effects, great light saber battles and use of the force.

I agree with Kut that it was all over the place. Story line sucked and character development was weak. I didn’t mind the jokes/humor as that has always been part of Star Wars shtick. Even the opening scene had me giggle a little bit.

Id give it a 3/5. Worth going to see how much my son enjoyed it but I wouldn’t have gone if it was just me and the wife.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Round 2 rant: Snoke, Phasma, Leia.... crap. I mean c'mon! The more I think about this more the more I'm starting to hate it. It's directionless, unrealistic, doesn't flow from the end of the orinal trilogy, characters are underdeveloped, cameos serve no purpose, promising villains suck, no back story payoff. This movie is just trash. I was iffy with "The Force Awakens," this one confirms my fears about the direction of the "Episodes." The "Anthology" film "Rogue One" was excellent. I'm giving the "Episodes" til 2019 to get their act together, if that that one sucks, I won't be watching any more. The Anthology films haven't burned me yet, so I guess I'll have to see how that goes.

Well, first of all, there won't be any episodes after 2019. I really disagree that it was directionless. It was messy, in the sense that there was a lot going on, but there was a definite direction. Phasma was garbage, I agree. I thought Snoke was amazing. I have thoughts on Finn, but I don't want to give anything away. I've been a Star Wars fan since Obi Wan's light saber flickered when he turned it at the wrong angle. And I just don't see all the negativity. Every Lucas film is full of plot holes. I think maybe people wanted to see the Empire Strikes Back. I'm glad they didn't. They did carry some of those themes over, but it wasn't the same movie at all, which is a good thing. It wasn't a Marvel movie, either, any more than the first trilogy was Planet of the Apes or Star Trek.

I thought the story line was good, it was just busy, a la Return of the Jedi. Character development of some characters was great, while others were pretty non-existent. But again, that isn't unique in Star Wars. The originals were a bit better, because they had fewer characters.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Yeah, I think it was. I'm a lifelong Star Wars fan. The movie was too long, too hokey, too many plot holes, too much pandering. Didn't care for it especially. Out of the next generation of movies, Rogue One is lightyears better. When we start with spoilers, I will explain further.... but this is one of Star Wars movies that I couldve watched after it was released on DVD.

If you're a Star War fan that understands the lore of the franchise, and not a casual watcher, you will probably be disappointed.

Thank you for defining what a "serious star wars fan" is....from YOUR point of view.

I'll just be nice and say.... wrong.

Last edited:

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I watched Empire again last week. The TESB Brackett/Lucas/Kasden screenplay, particularly the dialogue, is a mess. In a way, there were enough plot holes for an industry to develop around them. The original trilogy never hit on all eight cylinders although they were highly enjoyable films and technologically creative.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I watched Empire again last week. The TESB Brackett/Lucas/Kasden screenplay, particularly the dialogue, is a mess. In a way, there were enough plot holes for an industry to develop around them. The original trilogy never hit on all eight cylinders although they were highly enjoyable films and technologically creative.

I agree with you on the original trilogy, but they didn't go overboard with the ridiculousness that insulted your intelligence. Take "The Force Awakens" for instance. I enjoyed it, but there were way too many nonsensical things going on. For instance Han asking to shoot Chewbacca's bowcaster. He'd been partnered up with 'Baca for decades... they were damn near brothers, and he hadn't ever shot his weapon over the course of 40+ years? C'mon.
    I want the guy who did "Rogue One" to take over the series and for him to hand over JJ and Rian over to the fans for trial.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Yeah. There were serious problems with that film. On the one hand, Harrison Ford's acting has improved over the years and while he'll never be a great actor, I thought his acting in that film was credible....except for the "hug" of Leiea. Come on, you're married to the woman for 20+ years and that is as good as you can do for a hug...especially when you consider yourself the galaxy's greatest lover?

And how many super-space-balls will each subsequent generation of evil overlords put together? That's one reason I liked this film. No spaceballs.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Yeah, I think it was. I'm a lifelong Star Wars fan. The movie was too long, too hokey, too many plot holes, too much pandering. Didn't care for it especially. Out of the next generation of movies, Rogue One is lightyears better. When we start with spoilers, I will explain further.... but this is one of Star Wars movies that I couldve watched after it was released on DVD.

If you're a Star War fan that understands the lore of the franchise, and not a casual watcher, you will probably be disappointed.

Well, to be honest, some of that disappointment will just come from the attempt by Disney to reign in what was canon and what was not when they took over the Star Wars Universe from Lucas. I understand the need to do so, but there were some great series of books out there that setup a lot of this timeframe that is now being explored in the newer movies but got cut from the canon. Stuff like Legacy of the Force series and the Fate of the Jedi series, along with some of the non Jedi focused stuff like the "Republic Commando" series (Hard Contact, etc).

I have yet to see it, but I did see Force Awakens and thought it was completely under developed and a complete rip off of Episode IV. I had some hope that this movie would in turn make The Force Awakens a bit of a better movie, by developing characters, etc and making the Force Awakens look like it intentionally dropped you in without any character development to build tension. Your review is not giving me much hope. That said, I'll still see it.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I saw it this afternoon. It was good and if you're a Star Wars fan you will enjoy it.

Dont read this if you have not seen it. Not a spoiler but something I started thinking about. Is anyone else thinking that Kylo and Rey might be Brother and Sister or related somehow, like Luke and Leia?

Not a spoiler:

I think SW:TLJ cements for me the obvious homage/parallel/plagiarism of the twins Jacen Solo and Jaina Solo in the no-longer-canon Legacy of the Force novel series.

I will be interested to see if - and how - that parallel plays out in Episode IX.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

Yep, I'm waiting for spoiler-discussion time, too.

But as a movie of its own right, I still enjoyed it.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

Agree. Still biting my tongue.

Heck, even the authorized, canon, inter-episodic novels really haven't filled in the plot arc from Episode VI to Episode VII satisfactorily.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Not a spoiler:

I think SW:TLJ cements for me the obvious homage/parallel/plagiarism of the twins Jacen Solo and Jaina Solo in the no-longer-canon Legacy of the Force novel series.

I will be interested to see if - and how - that parallel plays out in Episode IX.

That was my biggest problem with Ep. 7/TFA, the loss of canon. I mean, I read the book 25 years ago and it's Jacen/Jaina then baby Anakin - No Ben!

I take them for what they are: A space opera that barely made it in '77, grew some legs and fans, and developed into the world it is today. It's fun, it's popcorn and it's my son's absolute favorite story - just like it was mine over 30 years ago.

And Rogue One was just plain baller and how I hope the rest of the non-saga movies go. K2-SO is the man, er droid.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Well, to be honest, some of that disappointment will just come from the attempt by Disney to reign in what was canon and what was not when they took over the Star Wars Universe from Lucas. I understand the need to do so, but there were some great series of books out there that setup a lot of this timeframe that is now being explored in the newer movies but got cut from the canon. Stuff like Legacy of the Force series and the Fate of the Jedi series, along with some of the non Jedi focused stuff like the "Republic Commando" series (Hard Contact, etc).

I have yet to see it, but I did see Force Awakens and thought it was completely under developed and a complete rip off of Episode IV. I had some hope that this movie would in turn make The Force Awakens a bit of a better movie, by developing characters, etc and making the Force Awakens look like it intentionally dropped you in without any character development to build tension. Your review is not giving me much hope. That said, I'll still see it.
    Agree. Still biting my tongue.

Heck, even the authorized, canon, inter-episodic novels really haven't filled in the plot arc from Episode VI to Episode VII satisfactorily.

You guys hit the nail on the head. It's all about canon. With the originally trilogy, no one really harped on what was "canon." We had comics, we had books, we had "Battle of Endor"... a whole expanded universe. Disney stepped in with intent and decided that they were going to decide what was canon, and what was not. They then meticulously mapped out everything that was "source" material. Their novels, the animated shows, their comic books, and even video games. They even gave a few nods to the expanded universe. You'd think with the effort they put in to close up the universe, they'd avoid the shenanigans found in this movie. I tolerated TFA because it was like a homage. R1 was excellent... and then we got TLJ. To the casual fan, who doesn't have the slightest idea say why, for instance, the SITH "rule of two" exists, it's probably not a big deal... but to the loon fans, like me, it was disappointing. I literally threw my phone across the room last night thinking about it, lol.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I've watched a lot of the Clone Wars, but I don't read any books, mainly because just anybody can write one and they all disagree to some extent. If you just shut off all the other crap people have piggy-backed onto the franchise over the years, and focus on the movies, it takes away that frustration. When you come into the movie with the bias of what someone else thinks the universe looks like during a particular time frame, you get confused and frustrated. If you act like the story is brand new, and this is the first telling, it really is more fun. And the plot doesn't have quite so many holes as you think, either, without trying to make it fit a comic book someone wrote 20 years ago.

Top Bottom