• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    I loved the way the 1911 felt in my hand. The shooting experience was fantastic. The recoil was different from anything that I've shot. It was almost a slow recoil, if that makes sense. Not as bad as I thought it would be, which is why I enjoyed it so much. I've had the chance to shoot several CZs in 9 (poly frame, steel frame, full size, compact), and the only one that felt close to the 1911 was a 75A.

I've been trying to decide on a semi auto, and I had been set on 9 just due to the price of the round. I've only been shooting for a sort time, and I only own a couple .38 revolvers and a couple rifles. I'm hesitant to get into another caliber that's double the cost of 9. I have been saving my brass with idea of beginning to reload to cut costs. Perhaps a 1911 would be my push to begin reloading. Idk. Still kicking around ideas.

I have a lot of respect for the 1911. I've always loved the iconic and historic status it has. It's been on my list, so to speak, for those reasons even before I had shot one. Now, having shot one, it has moved up rather high. I probably just need to shoot some other types and see what happens as I save up cash. I still have a couple months before I could afford anything in general.

Yes, greg, I know there's a mixture of sincerity and jest here on INGO. My comment about a 9mm 1911 being blasphemy was somewhat in jest as well. I've seen quite a few on here espouse similar statements. But, for the most part, those who are sincere standout, for which I am grateful.

Good on paper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 18, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'm going to throw some gas on the fire here.... Do you guys think in 2085 the Glock will be celebrating its 100th birthday like the 1911 did a few years back?
    I'm not a Glock fan but let's face it, it's a revolutionary design much like I'm sure the 1911 was when introduced.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    It's an addiction that has no cure. After you buy one you'll start wondering what to do to it, at that point talk to someone like Churchmouse. He knows his stuff.

My .45 came from him and it's only ramped up the desire to have the 9mm spruced up.

Good on paper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 18, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'm going to throw some gas on the fire here.... Do you guys think in 2085 the Glock will be celebrating its 100th birthday like the 1911 did a few years back?
    I'm not a Glock fan but let's face it, it's a revolutionary design much like I'm sure the 1911 was when introduced.
    Sorry I just realized I'm straying from the thread here.
    To the OP I would echo what has been said above, shoot what works for you. If your budget allows both a .45 and a 9mm all the better :)

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    Sorry I just realized I'm straying from the thread here.
    To the OP I would echo what has been said above, shoot what works for you. If your budget allows both a .45 and a 9mm all the better :)

No worries! It's INGO, afterall!

Both would definitely be the best situation, and it's possible over time. Perhaps I should look at something that has a conversion kit available where I could have both on one frame for less than two pistols.

Good on paper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 18, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have gotten back into guns in the last few years and just started reloading in the last few months. I definitely enjoy reloading and it does save a little money (the truth is you just shoot more). With pick up brass I save about 10 cents per on .45 and 7 cents on 9mm. I've started shooting some of the local steel challenges so between that and practice I burn up some ammo!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Fire extinguisher............No Glocks. No comparison in my mind.
    No knock on the platform as it does it's job.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If cost is a factor then maybe reconsider what you are doing.
    It is like being a car nut. I am both gun and car nuts.
    If you buy/build a gun consider your budget.
    Same with a car.
    I am a firm believer that if you have a sweet Hot-Rod gun or car do not run crap ammo/fuel in it. JMHO.

When I put a new piece together after all the plans and parts search I know full well it will not be eating any crap ammo.
    Same thing with the current car project. 64 Impalla S/S. Building a serious drive train for it. Lots of power. There will be considerations on the fuel it uses.
    I make these decisions going in so I will know what will be required when I run it.
    Just saying this to make folks aware that every major decision has requirements.
    If you buy your 1st 1911 use some thought. Do some research. Get the level of gun that fits your needs and use requirements. You do get what you pay for in this platform.
    Will you be a casual range shooter.
    Will you be a very active range shooter.
    A target gun or a self defense EDC piece. There are difference to consider.
    Will you want to upgrade it after a while. Also something to consider.

I also own some really nice CZ's. Like my 1911's none of them are as built. Highly modified.
    I do not at all care for the out of the box feel of a CZ. They are great guns but need some love to bring them up to standards.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    It would see moderate range use (only have so much time available) and likely be HD with carry possible. So, I'd definitely not go with the bottom of the barrel, but not top of the line. Likewise with ammo.

Cost is always going to be a factor. I try to consider all applicable costs before I purchase anything. What are the upfront costs, are there any immediately after purchase (upgrades/changes), how much to keep it going. These things all go into my decisions, and this will be no different.

As I'm newly looking into a 1911 seriously, I realize I have much more research to do.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It would see moderate range use (only have so much time available) and likely be HD with carry possible. So, I'd definitely not go with the bottom of the barrel, but not top of the line. Likewise with ammo.

Cost is always going to be a factor. I try to consider all applicable costs before I purchase anything. What are the upfront costs, are there any immediately after purchase (upgrades/changes), how much to keep it going. These things all go into my decisions, and this will be no different.

As I'm newly looking into a 1911 seriously, I realize I have much more research to do.

When you look at whats out there remember that different manf. all offer up a version of the 1911.
    Springfield (yeah I said it even after the crap they pulled in Ill.) offer a well made 1911 in entry level through some very nice high end offerings. I use them when I am considering a build up as the slide/frame are well made and accept mods readily.
    I have a Ruger SR1911 commander that received a lot of attention. It was a fair piece out of the box.
    There are other marques out there.

Consider buying used. There are a lot of nice low miles pieces available. Prices are easy on the budget right now. I have seen 2 loaded SA's go for $600 with extras and 1 for $500.
    It is a buyers market right now.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    When you look at whats out there remember that different manf. all offer up a version of the 1911.
    Springfield (yeah I said it even after the crap they pulled in Ill.) offer a well made 1911 in entry level through some very nice high end offerings. I use them when I am considering a build up as the slide/frame are well made and accept mods readily.
    I have a Ruger SR1911 commander that received a lot of attention. It was a fair piece out of the box.
    There are other marques out there.

Consider buying used. There are a lot of nice low miles pieces available. Prices are easy on the budget right now. I have seen 2 loaded SA's go for $600 with extras and 1 for $500.
    It is a buyers market right now.

I was thinking about sticking to bigger names (SA, Colt, Ruger, Kimber-what I actually shot yestetday, a Custom TLE II, etc). And used is definitely an avenue I'm going to be looking at.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I was thinking about sticking to bigger names (SA, Colt, Ruger, Kimber-what I actually shot yestetday, a Custom TLE II, etc). And used is definitely an avenue I'm going to be looking at.

Stay away from the new Kimbers. Be careful with Colt. Both are, IMHO, way over priced for what you get.

I am hearing some of the new Colts are decent enough but they are still overpriced.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Stay away from the new Kimbers. Be careful with Colt. Both are, IMHO, way over priced for what you get.

I am hearing some of the new Colts are decent enough but they are still overpriced.

after we do this thread can we have a serious talk about whats wrong with kimber? Is it because they are exspensive but the same? Or exspensive and worse? Whats the dealio

Top Bottom