• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Good on paper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 18, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'm a car guy too and have to make decisions on the cost vs quality of tools I buy. If it's something I'll use consistently or HAVE to count on I go for the higher end of my budget, if it's something that will see light or occasional use I'm probably heading to Harbor Freight.
    There may be an analogy there ;)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    after we do this thread can we have a serious talk about whats wrong with kimber? Is it because they are exspensive but the same? Or exspensive and worse? Whats the dealio

They are not built to demand the prices they bring.
    I have owned a few and been inside several. The fit/finish/Metallurgy etc just does not merit the cost to own.
    They are damned handsome/pretty guns I will give them that. They are just not up to the name anymore.

Again, just my humble opinion. If you own and enjoy a Kimber great. I am just never owning one again. Ever.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    after we do this thread can we have a serious talk about whats wrong with kimber? Is it because they are exspensive but the same? Or exspensive and worse? Whats the dealio
    I took a Colt Delta Elite and a Kimber TLE ii both in 10mm for their first time to the range a month ago. The Colt ran fine without a hiccup. The Kimber didn't get through a magazine without a couple FTF or FTRTB. That is just my experience with them.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    I have owned a few and been inside several. The fit/finish/Metallurgy etc just does not merit the cost to own.
    They are damned handsome/pretty guns I will give them that. They are just not up to the name anymore.

Again, just my humble opinion. If you own and enjoy a Kimber great. I am just never owning one again. Ever.

I dont own one, but i agree they are handsome firearms. I understand they ask a premium. But if the cost of a kimber was the same as a ruger or other entry/mid tier 1911 would it be a more attractive option? I guess im asking if the price is what is causing most of the hate instead of build quality.

Sorry OP im sure their is a kimbers suck thread somewhere for me to inquire

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    I dont own one, but i agree they are handsome firearms. I understand they ask a premium. But if the cost of a kimber was the same as a ruger or other entry/mid tier 1911 would it be a more attractive option? I guess im asking if the price is what is causing most of the hate instead of build quality.

No need to apologize. This is info I need, too! Especially if there is a continued comparison between experiences with certain brands with a discussion of quality vs cost.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I would buy the Ruger.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    No need to apologize. This is info I need, too! Especially if there is a continued comparison between experiences with certain brands with a discussion of quality vs cost.

As I always tweak/modify my handguns I see the quality that is or in not present on the actual workings.
    Materials used. Fit and finish etc and so on.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central

I've very little experience in the 1911 arena or even guns, but from what I've seen and read on the internet there biggest draw is that they look pretty. Granted they may work, but in the long run their biggest draw is that they look pretty.

Last edited:

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    I'm reminded of a time when I was in Germany and we were visiting our German partner unti. We were there to qualify with their weapons. Besides the cool thing of being able to fire their weapons you'd get a a real neat badge to wear on your greens afterward. It was called a German Schutzenschnur. Real cool looking award which came in gold, silver, or bronze depending on the level of qualification you achieved. You might overlook some awards but this one was attached to a rope so their was no mistaking or overlooking that someone had or didn't have this award.

Anyway you had to fire and qualify with three of their weapons which included the rifle, machine gun and something else which I can't remember now to qualify for this award. In order to get gold you had to get expert in all three and if you got marksman in any of the three you qualified for Bronze. So I was extremely happy to qualify expert and achieve the gold or expert level even though I thought the silver badge looked better.

But I have to say growing up on nothing more than a BB gun and an M16 at the time their rifle at the time was not only a shock to my system but a shock to my shoulder. Maybe I didn't hold it right or whatever because we received no instruction but my shoulder was sore for weeks after that.

I also remember shooting the 50 Cal from my tracked vehicle. I got that opportunity once as well. D*** cool but the vibration from that thing was fairly violent. I was also in th Artillery and I was actualy a forward observer so I saw and heard plenty of things that went boom.

Point being I guess I don't associate violent or strong recoil with fun. Mild recoil works just fine for me especially as I get older and my hands get more sore.

Choices, ain't nothing wrong with having an abundance of different options from which to chose from.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    There are lots and lots of options in the 1911 world. If you are looking for a basic GI style 1911, it's hard to beat the CZ 1911A1. It's a DW built 1911 that's got CZ rollmarks on it and can still be found for under $900 and under $800 if you shop well. Springers are good too. DW are great 1911s if you just want to buy a good one and then shoot the crap out of it with no mods needed. Colts are decent, but tend to be on the loose side and Kimbers tend to be hit or miss (no pun intended). I've had very good reliability out of the two Kimbers I've had, but they were expensive for what you get. Sig 1911s are a very good deal given the features delivered at that price point. If you can forgive the squared Sig style slide and external extractor, they are great pistols. For a similar price as my Kimber, the Sig delivered with a full stainless slide and frame that were NP3 coated (Kimber was stainless over an aluminum frame with a very bad excuse for a finish), front strap checkering (Kimber was smooth), night sights (3 dot on the Kimber), extended controls (Kimber delivered these too), G10 grips (Kimber had black rubber) and a nicely checkered steel main spring housing (Kimber's was plastic).

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    By today's standards the OLD Norinco 1911s are good guns. I cussed them when they first hit the market about 20+ years ago. They were rattly, loose, ugly, matte finished guns with average triggers.
    Today's manufacturers should have Norinco build their 1911s. It would be an improvement.
    I went to Glock for around $600 + options 'cause I don't want to spend $2k+ on a GOOD 1911. Average ain't gonna cut it for me. Sorry, I've been a 1911 fan since the late 60s. Even our old, parts box, worn out, POS USMC 45s were better than this new doo doo being sold.
    I still love a GOOD 1911 and buy them when I find them.
    My thinking is all wrong with spending $1,200+ on a new gun then throw out the innards and spend another $350-$450 to make it smooth and dependable.
    OH, and where the hell is all the quality bluing and fit and finish? Salt and acid finishes are buttugly. Stainless is lazy and might as well be nickel high polish, pearl grips, gold inlay, and cherished south of the border or in a New Orleans hohouse.
    I tried to write this politically correct. IF there's any FNGs that need it explained I'd prefer PM or CM relayed to keep my old arse out of the hammer mill.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    By today's standards the OLD Norinco 1911s are good guns. I cussed them when they first hit the market about 20+ years ago. They were rattly, loose, ugly, matte finished guns with average triggers.
    Today's manufacturers should have Norinco build their 1911s. It would be an improvement.
    I went to Glock for around $600 + options 'cause I don't want to spend $2k+ on a GOOD 1911. Average ain't gonna cut it for me. Sorry, I've been a 1911 fan since the late 60s. Even our old, parts box, worn out, POS USMC 45s were better than this new doo doo being sold.
    I still love a GOOD 1911 and buy them when I find them.
    My thinking is all wrong with spending $1,200+ on a new gun then throw out the innards and spend another $350-$450 to make it smooth and dependable.
    OH, and where the hell is all the quality bluing and fit and finish? Salt and acid finishes are buttugly. Stainless is lazy and might as well be nickel high polish, pearl grips, gold inlay, and cherished south of the border or in a New Orleans hohouse.
    I tried to write this politically correct. IF there's any FNGs that need it explained I'd prefer PM or CM relayed to keep my old arse out of the hammer mill.

Well you can use this same analogy for almost anything. If you want anything of any quality your going to have to pay for it. Although it can or might be said that Glocks for what they are are well built, they're made from plastic and require no if very little hand fitting. So it's not being made from the materials most would say are quality materials nor do they require any craftsmanship. These kind of things whether it be gun or anything else only come at a premium.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Well you can use this same analogy for almost anything. If you want anything of any quality your going to have to pay for it. Although it can or might be said that Glocks for what they are are well built, they're made from plastic and require no if very little hand fitting. So it's not being made from the materials most would say are quality materials nor do they require any craftsmanship. These kind of things whether it be gun or anything else only come at a premium.

That's a sad thought in itself. I mean... when you don't want junk or average you have to do your homework.
    I'm not paying $75K for a truck either, then put wheels, tires, lights, winches, bumpers, etc on it. IF it was a BIG store bought KW maybe. Those are trucks.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

The issue with parts fit up in a 1911 is that every manf. on the planet offers a version of this gun. The spec tends to be either here.....Or.....way over there. For this reason after market pieces are made with fit up extra materials where all the contact points are.
    The MilsSpec rattle battle wagons were mostly slam and fire pieces. Tolerances were not set up like a modern piece.
    Can you throw one of my well fit 1911's in the mud and have it run when removed.....No. Because you will get your butt kicked for throwing it in the mud.....:bat:

The 1942 Colt that I inherited from my uncle would well survive that. It has seen all levels of involvement.
    A Glock is made by 1 manf......."GLOCK" so the factory tolerances can be held to their spec.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    The issue with parts fit up in a 1911 is that every manf. on the planet offers a version of this gun. The spec tends to be either here.....Or.....way over there. For this reason after market pieces are made with fit up extra materials where all the contact points are.
    The MilsSpec rattle battle wagons were mostly slam and fire pieces. Tolerances were not set up like a modern piece.
    Can you throw one of my well fit 1911's in the mud and have it run when removed.....No. Because you will get your butt kicked for throwing it in the mud.....:bat:

The 1942 Colt that I inherited from my uncle would well survive that. It has seen all levels of involvement.
    A Glock is made by 1 manf......."GLOCK" so the factory tolerances can be held to their spec.

I hate my Glock. BUT... I really don't give a .... if it gets wet, dropped, Popeye's chicken greased, or thrown in a mud puddle.
    Treat it like the old M16. Pee on it and keep on running.
    Glock is why they made plastic holsters. No one cares how ugly they are either.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Is that because the Hi-Power is better than a 1911 in 9 or because a 9mm 1911 is blasphemy?

Is a 9mm 1911 even a 1911? Or a 1911 like device?

The 1911 is a .45. A .38 Super is also acceptable.

It must also be carried in a leather holster, preferably one that required the death of mammals from at least two continents.

Anything else, just buy a Taurus Curve, put it in your murse, put a scrunchy around your man-bun, and head out to face the day.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I hate my Glock. BUT... I really don't give a .... if it gets wet, dropped, Popeye's chicken greased, or thrown in a mud puddle.
    Treat it like the old M16. Pee on it and keep on running.
    Glock is why they made plastic holsters. No one cares how ugly they are either.

OK so I am never going to hold you Glock.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Is a 9mm 1911 even a 1911? Or a 1911 like device?

The 1911 is a .45. A .38 Super is also acceptable.

It must also be carried in a leather holster, preferably one that required the death of mammals from at least two continents.

Anything else, just buy a Taurus Curve, put it in your murse, put a scrunchy around your man-bun, and head out to face the day.

BBI gets it. LOL!

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    That's a sad thought in itself. I mean... when you don't want junk or average you have to do your homework.
    I'm not paying $75K for a truck either, then put wheels, tires, lights, winches, bumpers, etc on it. IF it was a BIG store bought KW maybe. Those are trucks.

Well I may have gone a bit far. So although you can find things that might to do the same thing or last just as long if you want something that's made from quality material and it involves any kind of craftsmanship or handwork your going to have to pay for it.

Better?

Top Bottom