• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I bought a wall mounted quick access lock/safe for an AR, but I have not yet installed it. The cool thing is that it allows you to secure the rifle with a magazine inserted.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    AR has 2 coupled 20 round mags in it. Shotgun fully loaded with spare ammo in the saddle, small chest rig has 4 - 30 round mags loaded, 16 more shotgun rounds and a small IFAK. Pistol has 20 rounds in it with 2 more 20 round spare mags. Then there's my EDC........
    I should be able to hold off a couple guys till the cops get there to do the paperwork. :draw: :ar15:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Thing that really got me in the Crowder interview was he had no idea how many he loaded. When he checked, while in pursuit he had 2 rounds. Let that sink in.

A few have suggested a more ready defense piece. Loaded and at the ready not behind a locked door.
    This may work for some folks. Others not so much.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Thing that really got me in the Crowder interview was he had no idea how many he loaded. When he checked, while in pursuit he had 2 rounds. Let that sink in.

And while that should educate us to be prepared, I love the mindset. It's what I was talking about in the other thread. Got two rounds left? **** it, we're not giving up. Shoot all your ammo, use the gun as a club till you break it, bite until your teeth fall out. Gouge his eyes out. If he kills you and survives, he won't be able to aim anymore. If innocent lives are at stake, then there is no room for giving up. That doesn't mean be stupid about it. You should still maximize your resources. But you have to stop him.

I keep four mags in my plate carrier, plus one in the rifle.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    This is why I originally started buying magazines.

Yes, they are important in the case of an emergency. But I'm probably well past that point, so now I'm back to just buying for the convenience that extra mags provide.

I understand the sentiment, but for some reason whenever I see an unloaded mag it's like a baby calling to me "feed me." At the range, I'll have several full mags, but still can stop loading the empty ones.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    A few have suggested a more ready defense piece. Loaded and at the ready not behind a locked door.
    Yeah, where we don't have anyone here any more other than the wife and I, there are sometimes guns laying in odd places... when the grandkids are coming, Papaw has to make a thorough sweep of the compound.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I know that no one is deminishing Stephen's heroism. I always have all of my mags loaded and my rifle is at arms reach. I also leave the range with at least a few reloaded mags.

Edit, I had his name wrong.

Last edited:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I try to keep all relevant mags, tubes & clips full up. I have a couple of .22s that may be unloaded (I'd have to check to make sure), oh, and my Hawken .50 that's probably unloaded.

Like keeping your doors and windows locked...that's just too easy a prep to ignore.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yeah, where we don't have anyone here any more other than the wife and I, there are sometimes guns laying in odd places... when the grandkids are coming, Papaw has to make a thorough sweep of the compound.

Having the little terrorist's in my avatar over here daily we keep anything loaded up high and well out of reach.
    They are all well trained as to not "Touch" any gun of any kind they may see. They both have a spot at my work bench to color and play with their little bits and pieces of tools while they watch me build guns. They love it. They understand fully. The questions are endless.

That said all evil nasty HD pieces are not in their reach.

maansmit

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    Greenfield
    With two young kids in the house, I have to keep everything locked. Pistol and shotgun are readily accessible. I have lots of loaded mags for everything.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Have 5 of these mtm cans ready to go. All mags loaded. 3 of them hold just ar style mags and the other 2 hold 10 ar mags and 10 double stack pistol mags. These things are great. Highly recommend these and great for range day too.

d.kaufman, do you do anything to denote different calibers for 'at-a-glance' determination besides visually looking at the round?

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner

Oh yeah I agree, I think it's important to note that regardless of how many mags you have loaded you may eventually be in a situation like this. This is the stuff of legend.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    This situation illustrates how carrying on your person when at home is a really good idea. A modest compromise in comfort is a very small price to pay.

You may not have time to retrieve a weapon that is not on your person, regardless of how many you stash. A gun in your holster is also secure from unauthorized access.

Jimb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 11, 2012
    Cicero
    quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by hoosierdoc

There's no other logical point other than confiscation.

When patients go into vfib and die you have minutes to shock them and save them. Ambulances often take too long. So geniuses said "let's make AEDs and put them everywhere". Now citizens can act as first responders and save lives.

Armed citizens are the AEDs for active shooters

AEDs are great pieces of equipment, and this is a GREAT analogy that I agree with 100%. We use to check ours every quarter to make sure they were in good working order....if defective in any way, they were removed from service....don't want a bad AED out there. This analogy can apply effectively to various aspects of the wider debate from the common sense perspective.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    d.kaufman, do you do anything to denote different calibers for 'at-a-glance' determination besides visually looking at the round?[/QUOTE/]
    That can i took a of was a miscellaneous can. But on those mags i have the mag band on them to denote caliber. The other cans i have them caliber specific for ar platforms, and my glock mags are all for G19 and easily readable on floor plate of mag. That distinguishes them easily from my witness 45 mags

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    d.kaufman, do you do anything to denote different calibers for 'at-a-glance' determination besides visually looking at the round?[/QUOTE/]
    That can i took a of was a miscellaneous can. But on those mags i have the mag band on them to denote caliber. The other cans i have them caliber specific for ar platforms, and my glock mags are all for G19 and easily readable on floor plate of mag. That distinguishes them easily from my witness 45 mags

Got it. :yesway:

Top Bottom