• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Ever single mag I have is load. Even my range mags but those are keeped by them selves in a different color ammo can.

All other mags are in ammo cans too. Every ammo can has a 1inch nylon strap that is 4foot long that runs through the handle loops, that way I can throw it over my shoulder like a duffel bag or drag it across the floor. I tried rope first but the handle would not way flat enough so I could stack the ammo cans on top of each other.

I can't for the life off me under stand why people keep mags laying around, just setting in glove boxes or center consoles, pig boards or on shelves. At least have them in some kind of bag that can be thrown over you back or in a magazine satchel so you can grab and go with out trying to hold on to it or stuff it in your pocket.

I have three AR mags and two pistol mags that are on my plate carrier that hangs in the closet. Along with that my battle belt hold two AR and two pistol mags. If we are a hour or more away or staying over the night somewhere else it does with use.

Also I have a chest rig that holds three AR and two pistol mags that is in a non tactical looking backpack that also holds my AR pistol and a Glock 17 along with a med kit. That backpack leaves with us every time. In most cases it goes with us when we leave the car too.

Last edited:

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    ... Also I have a chest rig that holds three AR and two pistol mags that is in a non tactical looking backpack that also holds my AR pistol and a Glock 17 along with a med kit. That backpack leaves with us every time. In most cases it goes with us when we leave the car too.

All that in one backpack? What kind of backpack is it?

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    All that in one backpack? What kind of backpack is it?
    [video=youtube_share;TDREsLirGyw]http://youtu.be/TDREsLirGyw[/video]

This is the chest rig that I use. It's small enough to fit inside.

7F6679CD-92CD-45D6-85D3-B9CDCA59010F_zpsdumunw2d.png

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My son and I always say the same thing to ourselves as we load up the mags before we leave the range. "In case we have to shoot someone on the way home."

Joking, kindof.

I call that "gettin' home ammo."

I reload all of my mags before I leave, including at the end of a USPSA or IDPA match. More than once someone has seen me and reminded me that the match was over, so I didn't need to reload my magazines. Well, actually I do need to reload them!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Yeah, I've always had an issue with going home unable to defend a car full of guns. I just don't.

Along those lines, it's also unwise to shoot all of your guns empty when at the range, which leaves you unarmed with a bunch of very valuable merchandise in the open. That's probably not a huge risk some places, but you never know. If you shoot in a secluded area it could have disastrous consequences. Matix and Platt of the famous 1986 Miami Shootout with the FBI would lay in wait in the everglades waiting for opportunities to kill and rob recreational shooters.

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    Along those lines, it's also unwise to shoot all of your guns empty when at the range, which leaves you unarmed with a bunch of very valuable merchandise in the open. That's probably not a huge risk some places, but you never know. If you shoot in a secluded area it could have disastrous consequences. Matix and Platt of the famous 1986 Miami Shootout with the FBI would lay in wait in the everglades waiting for opportunities to kill and rob recreational shooters.

This is a very good point for public land shooters. I hadn't ever considered this.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    Have 5 of these mtm cans ready to go. All mags loaded. 3 of them hold just ar style mags and the other 2 hold 10 ar mags and 10 double stack pistol mags. These things are great. Highly recommend these and great for range day too.
    2qd2zja.jpg

A question for you sir, will a Glock 33 rd mag fit inside of that case?

bollerman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    BTW, if anyone needs foam inserts for an ammo can to slip their mags into, I can probably help. I work at a metal fabrication shop on the south side of Indy and we cut foam on the water jet or the laser all the time. A&A Foam on Kopetzky Dr, near Harding st and 465 south side also has sheets of adhesive backed foam as well.

I will load my mags at the range when I'm done. I keep them loaded at home. There's even rounds in the tube of the shotgun. I keep a chamber lock on each my firearms unless they're in my direct control, but it would take far too long to UNlock AND load up. I'd rather just leave them all unlocked, but safety first.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Ive always kept at least one mag for every gun type topped off with defensive rounds. Either JHP for pistol or heavier soft points for my AR. All of them secured separately from the long gun safe. (I have other primary defensive firearms for immediate threats)

Before Sunday I always felt a little paranoid about the above. Thinking along the lines of a SHTF scenario that would require an eventual bugout. Now I dont feel so weird about it.

If anything, this hero's "failure" is educating us on what we should be doing. Lets not waste his experience/errors and honor the victims by heeding his indirect warning via his missteps. Admit it; that failure to keep a certain kind of weapon at the ready because you probably wont need it "because there are others" is not that uncommon. I own that mistake. And fixing it doesnt cost much (if anything) and doesnt require any additional resources, storage, etc.

For me, even though I was ready, I'll be ordering more heavy soft point ammo and upgrading to a bigger ready mag. That 20 was OK, but there could always be more available in a bigger mag for an insignifcant amount of space in the cabinet/ammo can.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

One of the advantages of "carry mags" and "training mags" is having a full mag ready to go if range time turns into something else.

Top Bottom