• ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I confess that I was completely unaware of those fancy MTM mag boxes... I ordered an AR one and a pistol one to test out.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Ive always kept at least one mag for every gun type topped off with defensive rounds. Either JHP for pistol or heavier soft points for my AR. All of them secured separately from the long gun safe. (I have other primary defensive firearms for immediate threats)

Before Sunday I always felt a little paranoid about the above. Thinking along the lines of a SHTF scenario that would require an eventual bugout. Now I dont feel so weird about it.

If anything, this hero's "failure" is educating us on what we should be doing. Lets not waste his experience/errors and honor the victims by heeding his indirect warning via his missteps. Admit it; that failure to keep a certain kind of weapon at the ready because you probably wont need it "because there are others" is not that uncommon. I own that mistake. And fixing it doesnt cost much (if anything) and doesnt require any additional resources, storage, etc.

For me, even though I was ready, I'll be ordering more heavy soft point ammo and upgrading to a bigger ready mag. That 20 was OK, but there could always be more available in a bigger mag for an insignifcant amount of space in the cabinet/ammo can.

My Son and I actually ran a timing drill... There is a church down the road... He runs into the room... Dad there is something going on at the church, get out of chair, go look, crap!, run down stairs, spin combo lock, miss once, spin again, open, grab 1 mag, 1 box ammo, grab rifle, try to load mag on the run (its hard), go out back door. Stop timing. Almost 2 minutes.

TX Sunday also changed my preparedness thinking.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    My Son and I actually ran a timing drill... There is a church down the road... He runs into the room... Dad there is something going on at the church, get out of chair, go look, crap!, run down stairs, spin combo lock, miss once, spin again, open, grab 1 mag, 1 box ammo, grab rifle, try to load mag on the run (its hard), go out back door. Stop timing. Almost 2 minutes.

TX Sunday also changed my preparedness thinking.

Yeah I could see it taking that long, many a time I've ran downstairs to get a rifle out of the safe for a passing coyote only for him to be gone.

Been thinking a lot about this scenario too, if I’m going to a situation of known rifle fire and have to open my safe for a rifle the last thing I’m taking is an AR15. Something in .308 preferably scoped would be my weapon of choice.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I entertain no fantasies of sprinting out the door to challenge a mass shooter, but if you don't have at least a full magazine and a full reload on hand...it ain't much of a defensive firearm, yo.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I entertain no fantasies of sprinting out the door to challenge a mass shooter, but if you don't have at least a full magazine and a full reload on hand...it ain't much of a defensive firearm, yo.

agreed.
    This has turned out to be quite the educational thread.
    When I first read through it, I loaded my pistol mags. Now, I'm loading my rifle mags as well :)

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I received my shipment, one AR 5.56 box and one pistol mag box... I see you can get some kind of carrier that holds 4 of the big AR boxes... I may need one of those... of course that means I need some more of the AR boxes. I also see they have AR 308 boxes... sheesh... this could be expensive.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've never considered using a box with fitted slots in the foam to hold loaded mags. I've been using bandoleer/shoulder bags that hold 4-6 mags since the mid 1990s. In addition to being "grab and go," you can also wear them and use them for (slow) reloads, or to replenish the belt pouch that everyone should have on their belt for immediate/speed reloads.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I just found some extra foam like that in the garage. (Can't even remember what it was for... or from.) Now I know what I can do with it.

And, yeah, I need to load some mags. I usually have at least 3 of the AR mags loaded, but I think that's what I'm down to right now. Ironically, I have about 8 of the larger .308 mags loaded.

That Texas event was certainly a reminder to be intentional about these kinds of things, not complacent.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I just keep 14 30 rounders loaded and in a bag with cloth handles and a bag of loose rounds under them. I always thought about only carrying 120 rounds in the service that I had a resupply chain. When I knew I was on my own I made provisions.

Top Bottom