• ...and so much more!
  • BoxinChampJoel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    Nortwest Indiana
    Alright guys,

So I always hear these "rumors" about keeping your mags loaded; with the spring being fully compressed for long periods of time it will cause problems in the spring resulting in malfunctions like misfeeding issues.
    Has anyone else heard this? what do you think about it?

bullfrog4ever

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    AKA: IN_Sheeppuppy
    Keeping your mags fully loaded or unloaded will not ruin the magazine springs or tension. It is the constant compression/decompression of the spring that will wear it out.

I leave my mags loaded that I'm using for my rotating EDC's, and the one I'm not are unloaded. Never had an issue...

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Keeping your mags fully loaded or unloaded will not ruin the magazine springs or tension. It is the constant compression/decompression of the spring that will wear it out.

This right here above. I had a mag loaded for my Taurus PT-809 that sit in the safe for almost 2 years that had FMJ's left in it, sat there and forgot all about that 5th mag.

Used it 3 weeks ago and fed all 17 rounds with out a hitch.

It's back in the safe loaded with FMJ's, but won't be forgotten next time out.:D

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    Many years ago, Skeeter Skelton wrote about the same question. He had some "magazines" that he had fully loaded and lableled as to the date. He took them out of storage and ran them through, with no problems what so ever. The time line was at or about 20 years. YMMV

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I did have an issue with the cheap ACT mags that came with my RIA 1911. They did not lost long. After initial range visits, everything was fine. Loaded up the mags but purchased 4 Wilson combat and 2 kimber mags. Loaded all them, did not shoot again for about 5 months.

The ACT mags both had FTF issues next time I used them. I've never had any problems with any other mags.

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Originally Posted by bullfrog4ever

^^^^^^^^^ This. I had one inexpensive guns mag loaded for 12-15 years and it fuctioned flawlessly when I finally got it out again and started reusing it. I do rotate out my EDC mags monthly though since I cycle through them much more frequently.

Randrayla

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    I've always been told that leaving pressure on a spring does not wear it out. The moment of compression (putting rounds into the magazine) is where the wear is. I have no idea if this is true as I'm not a physicist but it makes sense to me.

I've shot magazines that have been loaded for 2 years without any problems.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I think it would depend on the magazine.

If you are talking about magazines with metal feed lips, probably not a big deal, but I wouldn't leave a magazine with polymer lips (e.g. PMAG) loaded without the clip to take the load off.

Sling

bullfrog4ever

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    AKA: IN_Sheeppuppy
    Now that I think about it, when I recieved my grandfathers Walther P38 that he brought home from WWII, it still had a fully loaded magazine. I'd have to assume it was loaded for close to 30 years and the pistol and magazine were made in 1943. After a quick cleaning of the magazine, it ran flawless. Not bad for a magazine that was probably loaded for close to 30 years!!

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    New Palestine, IN
    I've had the same two mags loaded for 5 years in my Walther P99. It shoots flawlessly. The only FTE or FTFs I get are caused by certain types of jacketed ammo. I know what my gun likes, and yes, I'd bet my life on it. Shooting often is the best way to know if things are still in shape.

If you're worried about a spring going bad in your life-saving personal defense firearm, then maybe you should consider a wheel gun. Revolvers don't have FTF or FTE issues and you can leave them loaded FOREVER without harm.

Revolver capacity & reload time argument debunked:

If you can't hit something in 6 shots, then the odds are you won't do it with another 6. If you are being attacked by more than 6 Zombies, then you should have been better prepared!

donnie1581

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Elwood, IN
    I keep mine loaded at all times. I haven't had them long but no signs of wear on the springs. They're still just as hard to load as ever.

I really don't see the point in NOT keeping them loaded. That's what they're for.

Top Bottom