• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I own an amt .380 backup. It was made way back when. It' springs are made of rubber instead of stainless steel. yes, if I leave a magazine loaded it will take a set. Its the same with the hammer spring too. Every now and then I compare the old ones with the new ones I have for spares. when one appears shorter I stretch it out to normal length. The steel must of been lousy back then because the frame is flaring out where it smacks the slide on recoil. I certainly hope that a higher quality gun would do better.

Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    Some of my Glock mags stay loaded for years no problems so far. I have heard of guys keeping 13+ 45 acp mags by Para Ordinance having trouble after leaving them loaded for extended periods of time.

GaDawg

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2012
    Muncie
    right or wrong i trade my mags out on the gun I'm carrying at any given time every month or so just the way i was taught like i said maybe right maybe wrong

infiremedic07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Lapel/Noblesville
    Metal fatigue occurs due motion not from remaining at rest. Unless of course it is allowed to rust at which point is wont matter if the spring steel is compressed or relaxed.

Bruizer13

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    My opinion is that I'd rather have it loaded and cause 1 misfeed, than to have to defend my home by awakening and trying to load 30 rounds by time my television is gone (or worse). Load them and if concerned keep extra springs handy!

Tamara

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple, near t
    I did have an issue with the cheap ACT mags that came with my RIA 1911. They did not lost long. After initial range visits, everything was fine. Loaded up the mags but purchased 4 Wilson combat and 2 kimber mags. Loaded all them, did not shoot again for about 5 months.

The ACT mags both had FTF issues next time I used them. I've never had any problems with any other mags.

Most 8-round 1911 mags get that eighth round in by crushing the spring almost flat, well past its designed range. Wilson 47D's are notorious spring killers, too. If I'm leaving them loaded for any length of time, I'll only put seven in them.

wxchick.h3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Southern IN
    When cleaning out a family members house we found a gun with a mag that was loaded for atleast 10 years and it still works fine so I don't think it will hurt them.

Top Bottom