• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CitizenX

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Tippecanoe
    If you want something inexpensive and does the job, get a Kel Tec. I know there are many that are very happy with what they have. Like anything, life's a crap shoot and it can happen to any manufacturer. From personal experience and what people tell me, Kel Tec is a little too all over the place for my comfort zone as a ccw carrier. The extra $400 may not be worth it, but for me I know what I'm paying for. Thanks.
    Perhaps you could elaborate exactly as to what kind of experience you have had with a Kel-tec other than word of mouth, so we may be able to help you answer your question better.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    There is no Kel-Tec that I 'must' have but the same can be said of most every product made for me. I would like to have a KSG but not until the real world pricing gets less than MSRP. At one time I was in the market for a PMR-30 but availability and pricing being much greater than MSRP turned me off. I have a few rules regarding purchases (gun or otherwise) that I always follow;
    1) I never pay above MSRP for anything.
    2) I will pay MSRP for high quality items and Kel-Tec products do not fall into this category IMHO.
    3) Everything else needs to be less than MSRP and how much less depends on how badly I want it.

I suppose that if Harbor Freight sold Kel-Tec, I might consider it a throwaway.:):
    ;)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Perhaps you could elaborate exactly as to what kind of experience you have had with a Kel-tec other than word of mouth, so we may be able to help you answer your question better.
    I've shot a P3AT. The product was what you'd expect. I was looking for a better made firearm. Pure and simple. I'll look elsewhere.

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    If you want something inexpensive and does the job, get a Kel Tec. I know there are many that are very happy with what they have. Like anything, life's a crap shoot and it can happen to any manufacturer. From personal experience and what people tell me, Kel Tec is a little too all over the place for my comfort zone as a ccw carrier. The extra $400 may not be worth it, but for me I know what I'm paying for. Thanks.

Forgive me, but I am trying to reconcile this reply with your original question about Kel-Tec firearms...

Is there a Kel-Tec you must have? I look at Kel-Tec as a Hi-Point deluxe with some quality. For me, I wouldn't mind having one but nothing really stands out. What Kel-Tec, if any, is more than a throwaway? Thanks.

What is it exactly that you want to hear? Most agree that if you want high quality and dependability, you don't buy Kel-Tec. Many have also said that they've owned various Kel-Tec firearms and have been satisfied.

You shot one, didn't like it and are convinced that they're "throwaway" handguns? Fine. Don't buy one. If I had bought a lemon KT I wouldn't want one either. But I didn't. Mine is a good one. I trust it with my life. However, it's NOT a Sig, a S&W, a Colt or a Glock. It's a cheaply-made gun whose price reflects that. However, it's not a "throwaway."

What is it that you want to know about Kel-Tecs again?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Forgive me, but I am trying to reconcile this reply with your original question about Kel-Tec firearms...
    The word is quality. I believe I said, "some quality." The purpose of my original question was to find a Kel Tec that had more than "some quality." The term "throwaway" had more to do with the lifespan of the gun than my take on it. I desire a piece that will last longer than a 5-year car loan.

In response to you, I see where you're coming from. I understand your thoughts, but don't cede mine. Like I said, "for me I know what I'm paying for." The extra cash is worth getting something more in line with what I want and what I'm willing to pay for. Hope that helps.

ZX-14R

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Their pistols? Absolute, unreliable, unsafe, short life spanned, shoddy build quality, poorly designed, dangerous, garbage. (In my opinion, based on my experience with the ones I have shot personally and the ones I have seen used in person.)

A good argument could be made that a Kel-Tec is better than nothing at all, but just barely.

"Glocks and M&P's are just as good as Kel-Tec's.....said no one, ever."

I want a gun that will run 100,000 rounds, not 100-1,000.

The shotguns and rifles? Not too horrible from what I have heard.

Last edited:

ZX-14R

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012

I have had a few that would not cycle at all or run consistently and I have had one completely self destruct in my hand.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Their pistols? Absolute, unreliable, unsafe, short life spanned, shoddy build quality, poorly designed, dangerous, garbage. (In my opinion, based on my experience with the ones I have shot personally and the ones I have seen used in person.)

A good argument could be made that a Kel-Tec is better than nothing at all, but just barely.

"Glocks and M&P's are just as good as Kel-Tec's.....said no one, ever."

I want a gun that will run 100,000 rounds, not 100-1,000.

The shotguns and rifles? Not too horrible from what I have heard.
    :+1:

chachi73

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    west burbs
    seriously?

So, how is the finish less "reliable"?

Chezuki, come on man....you know exactly what sinco means. Quit nitpicking. Too many English teachers up in here.

Back on point. I currently own 3 keltecs. PF9 - blk grip w/ OD slide, P3at chromed and sub2k glock flavored and chromed. All have been flawless.

I have sold 2 in the past. P11 parked - it was flawless, just couldn't hit anything. Blued P3at - also flawless, just wanted a hard chrome model.

I guess I'm living right or just lucky. I trust all mine 100% and will not hesitate to pick up an SU-22 with the collapsable stock or the PMR 30 when the right price finds me.

Why pay more for the copycat rugers when the original works great? I do own a couple "higher end" pistols which are also flawless, so i'm not trying to sound like a KT fanboy - well maybe i am. Innovative, affordable and reliable. :rockwoot:Can't beat KT. I bet 1/2 of those who complain of FTE's/FTF's are limpwristing and the other 1/2 are using russian ammo. :):

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    You Were Lucky

All of mine have worked out of box, only thing I had to do was load and shoot, so yes I would say they make them.:D

My P-32 was sent back to Kel-Tec twice, before it would work. Since that time, I have learned a lot and can fix some of the problems, in a simple
    pistol like the P-32. Kel-Tec customer service, was very cooperative and a
    good thing. I still say, if you buy a Kel-Tec, you will need them.
    I have found, that this forum and pistol ranges, are a good place to ask questions. Notice I did not say gun stores, with no attached ranges. Neither range near me, sells Kel-Tec products and there is a reason. "To many complaints, to many returns" were reasons cited by both ranges. "We see to many malfuntions, and initial failures"
    After MUCH work, my P-32 is a reliable carry piece. However, the work it took to get it there, was inexcusable at any price. Less expensive guns should work, just not for a long as the expensive ones.
    Can any gun maker have a problem? Of course they can, but some have many more problems than others.
    Myself and two friends have Kel-Tecs, all have been back to Florida.
    I am happy for those who have not had any problems.
    I wish I would have talked to the range guys, before I bought mine.

ZX-14R

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Chezuki, come on man....you know exactly what sinco means. Quit nitpicking. Too many English teachers up in here.

In Chezuki's defense, I couldn't understand the damn sentence either. A sentence doesn't have to be perfect, but readable would be nice.

Lucky

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Shelbyville
    I bought a p38at soon after they came out. I don't know what MORE it could do. It has never failed to function. It is not a target pistol but, will do what it needs to do when it has to do it. It is not as pretty as my 380 colt gov. model but it does all it will do, and is easier to conceal when carrying.

Top Bottom