• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kirkwood

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Bloomington
    I'm interested in these pistols. I need something very small for concealed carry on campus. After VT I don't feel like taking chances. Looking at Kel-Tec or others?

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    kirkwood, I'm no expert but I have heard mixed reviews on Kel-Tec. I remember a thread on glocktalk dealing with carrying on an IU campus. I'll try and find it.

zinx

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Castleton
    Even if its not against Indiana law (which i still think it is), is it worth getting expelled and not receiving credit for your classes?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I carry a Kel-Tec P3AT during the times when my Glock 19 is impractrical. I wear it in an ankle holster, and I got used to it very quickly.

Its an "ok" gun. Not much fun to shoot, as it will start diggining into the web of your hand. Some Kel-Tecs need some "break in time", so make sure you put plenty of rounds thru it until your satisfied it will be reliable.

But, they're inexpensive and you can hide them anywhere.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    I found the thread on GT and here is a summary

IU prohibits carrying but there is no law against it. If you get caught will you be in trouble with IU? Yes. The Law. no

http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/cod.../ar41/ch1.html

"School property" defined
    35-41-1-24.7 Sec. 24.7. "School property" means the following:
    (1) A building or other structure owned or rented by:
    (A) a school corporation;
    (B) an entity that is required to be licensed under IC 12-17.2 or IC 31-27;
    (C) a private school that is not supported and maintained by funds realized from the imposition of a tax on property, income, or sales; or
    (D) a federal, state, local, or nonprofit program or service operated to serve, assist, or otherwise benefit children who are at least three (3) years of age and not yet enrolled in kindergarten, including the following:
    (i) A Head Start program under 42 U.S.C. 9831 et seq.
    (ii) A special education preschool program.
    (iii) A developmental child care program for preschool children.
    (2) The grounds adjacent to and owned or rented in common with a building or other structure described in subdivision (1).
    As added by P.L.296-1987, SEC.4. Amended by P.L.34-1991, SEC.27; P.L.9-1991, SEC.95; P.L.2-1992, SEC.880; P.L.81-1992, SEC.38; P.L.1-1993, SEC.240; P.L.160-1994, SEC.1; P.L.1-2005, SEC.227; P.L.145-2006, SEC.370.

AKsteve

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Avon
    How about a Glock 26. If you are going to carry it on campus you better keep that piece very well CONCEALED!

Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I found the thread on GT and here is a summary

IU prohibits carrying but there is no law against it. If you get caught will you be in trouble with IU? Yes. The Law. no

http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/cod.../ar41/ch1.html

"School property" defined
    35-41-1-24.7 Sec. 24.7. "School property" means the following:
    (1) A building or other structure owned or rented by:
    (A) a school corporation;
    (B) an entity that is required to be licensed under IC 12-17.2 or IC 31-27;
    (C) a private school that is not supported and maintained by funds realized from the imposition of a tax on property, income, or sales; or
    (D) a federal, state, local, or nonprofit program or service operated to serve, assist, or otherwise benefit children who are at least three (3) years of age and not yet enrolled in kindergarten, including the following:
    (i) A Head Start program under 42 U.S.C. 9831 et seq.
    (ii) A special education preschool program.
    (iii) A developmental child care program for preschool children.
    (2) The grounds adjacent to and owned or rented in common with a building or other structure described in subdivision (1).
    As added by P.L.296-1987, SEC.4. Amended by P.L.34-1991, SEC.27; P.L.9-1991, SEC.95; P.L.2-1992, SEC.880; P.L.81-1992, SEC.38; P.L.1-1993, SEC.240; P.L.160-1994, SEC.1; P.L.1-2005, SEC.227; P.L.145-2006, SEC.370.

I thought since IU was owned by the state that the same laws would apply to it like any other school

kirkwood

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Bloomington
    That would be a good question to ask some of the kids at VT. For me I'm willing to risk it. If I conceal a small pistol in my back pack no one will ever know unless I make a mistake.

Even if its not against Indiana law (which i still think it is), is it worth getting expelled and not receiving credit for your classes?

Thickburger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Indianapolis
    if AKSteve is who i think he is he'll tell you how well the Kel-Tec performs under pressure. he'll also tell you it doesn't do so well when you throw it at your attacker either.

Thickburger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Indianapolis
    well now that i think about it i don't think AKSteve is who i think he is but anyway.

when i took the Fighting Pistol class this summer my buddy Steve has a Kel-Tec as a backup. during the course of some of the stages you have to go to your backup weapon. well when Steve went for his it jammed, then jammed, then nothing. it did this over the course of the 2 day class until he resorted to throwing the gun at the targets.

the instructors said that almost every class has someone that has a Kel-Tec as a backup and almost always they never function reliably.

plus, personal opinion but i'm not comfortable carrying a loaded/chambered handgun in my pocket w/o a holster. **** just happens when you don't expect it and something might snag it at the most inopportune time and give you lead poisoning.

Unoid

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    I'd go with a ultra-compact glock before one of those.
    Hell even my Beretta bobcat .22

I've carried at IUN (gary indiana) Its against IU's regs but what will they do? if anything you could likely drum support and have them drop it. They're weak liberals.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    I've read quite a bit from different posters about the Kel-Tec.

At first it seemed they had some problems but they seem to have been worked out. My friend has a P3AT. I've shot it quite a bit and liked it well enough. Didn't have any problems with it.

The one thing people seem to dislike is that after firing the trigger must travel all the way forward to reset before you can fire again. I think this can be dealt with easily with a bit of practice.

I am buying the PF-9 the first or second week of FEB. I'll probably put a couple hundred rounds through it right off the bat. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Top Bottom