• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jerry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    S. Indy
    I see Kirkwood's banner, but thought I would add another plug for Students For Concealed Carry On Campus. Concealedcampus.org What people need to understand is that its not illegal its just against school policy. Doesnt anyone else notice that a tax funded public institution is taking away a right granted by the state? Excuse me here, but who the **** are they? REALLY?? :wtf:
    Who gives them the authority to do this? If I threw a party in my backyard and said that the state drinking age was lowered to 15, wouldn't the cops laugh at me? So why then does anybody give any credit to this group? Is it their size? So then if my whole neighborhood lowered the drinking age to 15, would we be ok then? The administration has no right, place, or authority to do any of this. Furthermore, you could argue that its not a right that the state grants. Its a God given or Constitution given or whatever, but nevertheless the state has its hand in the pot, it took my money, and ran my bg check, and said im not nuts (clinically). But people seem to think IU can just stick their hands in the middle of the process too. The SCCC website has some good discussions that you guys may want to check out. I am normally nowhere near this fiery on an issue, but I just don't see how its in question. Yesterday some guy cut me off on the highway, did I start shooting at him? No. At the bank, I didnt hold it up. So why is it expected that when I cross 3rd street onto campus I am expected to lose all my sense and start shooting all the professors I disagree with? I better stop bc I am preaching to the choir. Uniod, rock on. Its your welfare, your education, and your decision. Let the assholes meddle but I wont say you are wrong. Having said all this, the SCCC group also advises that if you disregard regulation (in some states law) and carry on campus, don't publicize it unnecessarily. Just a heads up suggestion, do as you please.
    I like you already... This is one of the few issues I get really fired up about... I'm normally quet, but at son as CC (or even firearms in general) enters the debate I'm hot on it.
    I'm pondering an email to our aministration or security here soon on the issue...
    :rolleyesedit: I probably ought to get my homework done before that though...

The way i see it is simple. The state trusts me to carry a pistol enough I was issued a lisence... Why not my school? Does the school have the right to suppress what you say politically or religious groups from worshiping/meeting? Then why the right to disarm me? How lliable are they for my personal safety? What about the other night, when I heard two people outside my appartment debating on breaking in or not?

Since I live on campus, do they have the responsability to protect me off campus? My pistol isn't allowed on campus; therefore, it's difficult to grab it when i head off campus...

Ok... Sorry. :hijack:

Last edited:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Sorry to the OP that this thread has kinda gone OT. However, I was sent a PM that had a few great questions. I left the name out just in case he/she was sensitive to it.
    I appreciate your post about CC at IUPUI. I know some of these questions are speculation and you may not know, but here goes:

Do you think that the things you posted are characteristic of other LEOs at IUPUI? Obviously one guy could have objection to it, but do you feel that what your wrote represents the majority?

Do you think that the sentiment travels down to Bloomington? I am a grad student, and while I obviously value my life and right to carry, if I got expelled I would have huge problems on my hands. My career is 18 months from starting and it would be a massive ordeal if I did get expelled. But, as you say, it doesn't seem as if thats the case at IUPUI.

To answer, the philosophy at IUPUI that I was referring to come from the top down. Allowing students/staff to lock up their pistols at the PD is department policy. There are several high ups in the Dept that are VERY pro CHL and don't bat an eye over it. As far as IUPUI I would not worry about the PD giving you any troubles. You would have to be waiving your pistol around in the school before you would get kicked out. Now, there are many sheep professors and students that freak out at the mere mention of word gun let alone see one. For that reason, I would STRONGLY discourage anyone from open carry on IUPUI property. Also, for gods sake don't leave it in your book bag and let it get stolen in the library. People leave their property unattended there while they look up a book or use the bathroom and they get stolen. If you CCW make sure it stays on you and stays hidden. I cannot speak for IU Bloomington. They are a different beast all together. I do know that the IUPD HQ is in the same building as the housing offices and as a result there are some strange rules. Since there are new students and their families in there all the time and as such the rule is for plain clothed officers not have their guns showing. As not to scare the new students and their families thinking that it was not a safe campus. You would see detectives holding a coat or the like over their holster while they walked past the housing offices. I always laughed at that kind of stuff. That was 11 years ago so I'm not sure if they still do that. Hope this helps.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    That was 11 years ago so I'm not sure if they still do that.

Denny, Does that mean it's been 11 years since you were employed by IUPUI? If so, do you think the attitude has changed?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Denny, Does that mean it's been 11 years since you were employed by IUPUI? If so, do you think the attitude has changed?
    I left there in 2002, the IU Bloomington example was from 1997. I left IUPUI PD for another dept in 2002. The admin is still the same as many of the officers. I still keep in touch with most of them so I'm confident that attitudes are the same.

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    I carry a Kel-Tec P32 that I bought way back in 2003 quite regularly. Probably has a bit over 800 rounds through it, no problems. The bluing is mostly gone on the high points, but no rust. Never had anybody notice it in a Wild Bill pocket holster. I carry with a Federal HP in the chamber and top round in the mag, Fiocchi FMJ for the rest of the mag.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Both my sons and I have and craay P3AT's. Never had any trouble. We carry Gold Dots which I crono'd right at 900 FPS out of the little Kel-Tec. They are close range defense weapons, not target pistols. However, nne of us have had any problems with ours. We also use reloads with no problem. I carry mine when a larger pistol can't be concealled.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    For you guys with the tiny Kel-Tecs ...

Have any of you worked out how to do basic manipulations with them one-handed? I've noticed that people have some trouble doing so since they lack protruding sights or a "lip" on the ejection port you can use to rack the slide, etc.

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    For you guys with the tiny Kel-Tecs ...

Have any of you worked out how to do basic manipulations with them one-handed? I've noticed that people have some trouble doing so since they lack protruding sights or a "lip" on the ejection port you can use to rack the slide, etc.

Nope because basically it is near impossible. It is a BUG. At some point it is just not worthwhile to even attempt it. If I have to try a one handed manipulation drill and have the time to do one, I am not going to. I am going to be more interested in getting the hell out of dodge instead.

Same goes for those who carry revolvers for back up. I haven't seen many people attempt to reload a j frame one handed. It would be interesting to see attempted though.

I only carry my P3AT as a primary when I have little other choice. Other than that, I am carring my Springfield as a primary. Basically if it comes down to me having to use my KT and it fails, I am either running or going to my Spyderco if I have no other option.

BeeRian

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I agree with epsylum...its a BUG. I really dont intend to need to reload it or have to worry about one handed manipulations. Its my last ditch attepmt to survive the gun fight if Im ever in one. If Im in deep enough I need more than my .45 and then the Keltec...then...its one BAD day for me.

char130802

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 8, 2013
    Bremen in
    I just got my first kal tec today it's a .32 cal hold 7 in the mag and even loaded it weighs less than my cell phone when I went to go get it I was like this thing can't be that good but I shot 17 round every round cycled like it should and it was accurate and thair cheep not disappointed at all

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    welcome to ingo interesting gun choice sorry you didnt spend more time reading before buying but it is ok I'm sure you know better than anyone around here what is best for self defensive purpose for you personally since this isnt kabul war zone just shoot multiple time in ear for best effect hey up to 9

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    CONGRATULATIONS!! We have today's winner in the reviving archaic threads. Notice that all the dates prior were from April 2008.
    Sort of neat seeing replies from Epsylum (my deceased son)again. Brought a smile to my face.

Top Bottom