• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    It is a tragedy when there is any loss of life, and especially young loss of life. Mr. Bryant’s widow, children and family will surely struggle with the loss of a husband, father, son. However, sad to say that not one of the news venues that are now doing special programming would devote 100th of the present and forthcoming coverage to a military veteran killed in previous or current conflicts. Society, in general, has made heroes of sports figures but generally disregards real heroes. Sad commentary at best.

( With no disrespect to Mr. Bryant )
    Another excellent point! Today’s society raises the wrong people to “hero” status. It makes me sick to hear that word used to describe someone who plays a game for a living.
    Sorry for derailing'!!

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    It's a sad thing. I don't care about celebrity or not, it sucks to picture people with their kids in a helicopter they know is about to crash. Those moments have GOT to be absolutely miserable as a parent

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Oh I get it, and TMZ is notorious for breaking stuff early. There popularity is that they have no scruples about what they report, as long as they are first to do it.
    They’re in such a rush, they don’t bother to check that updates to articles don’t contradict what else was said. I read one article yesterday that reported the daughter had perished in the crash, and a few paragraphs down said that she was not on the helicopter.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    https://twitter.com/rsierra23/status/1221529169152086026?s=21

:n00b: Oops.

Basically a reporter on CNN accidentally cites Kobe’s former team as the Los Angeles n-word. Too early to tell how cancelled she’ll be or if they’ll cut the MSNBC personality a break. It sounds like an honest mistake; a conflation of Knicks and Lakers. I thought she said “knickers” not the n-word. But the twitteratti likes its virtuous victimhood and being offended on other people’s behalf.

Last edited:

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    It is a tragedy when there is any loss of life, and especially young loss of life. Mr. Bryant’s widow, children and family will surely struggle with the loss of a husband, father, son. However, sad to say that not one of the news venues that are now doing special programming would devote 100th of the present and forthcoming coverage to a military veteran killed in previous or current conflicts. Society, in general, has made heroes of sports figures but generally disregards real heroes. Sad commentary at best.

( With no disrespect to Mr. Bryant )

Alicia Keys, on the Grammys last night, said we lost a hero.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    https://twitter.com/rsierra23/status/1221529169152086026?s=21

:n00b: Oops.

Basically a reporter on CNN accidentally cites Kobe’s former team as the Los Angeles n-word. Too early to tell how cancelled she’ll be or if they’ll cut the MSNBC personality a break. It sounds like an honest mistake; a conflation of Knicks and Lakers. I thought she said “knickers” not the n-word. But the twitteratti likes its virtuous victimhood and being offended on other people’s behalf.

i think it was an honest mistake also. Something to think about. They usually have no teleprompter during breaking news, if they do it is only bullet points. Closed captioning is done post studio talking at major networks. They also have an ear piece in their ear telling them information when needed. All this while trying to convey information to the people without repeating too much. To a non media person, this would be like being on a conference call in your ear while trying to be on a date. Something might be said that you didn’t mean to say. I thought she said something more like nakers for some reason.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    In that he was a sportsman hero to a lot of people, yeah. I never really liked him, personally or as a player. So he’s not a sports hero to me.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I'm hearing this was not due to the fog initially but there was some sort of mechanical issue that caused this and then they inpacted at around 1700 ft. He was in radio contact. So this should be a quick investigation.
    Terrible.

Consider all of that hearsay. Nothing is fact until the investigation is complete. No one wants to see little kids meet this fate especially.
    Also no matter what your views are on Kobe Bryant's personal mistakes, he and his wife both chose to move forward together and continue their marriage. We are not in a position to judge them. Looks like they had a super happy and loving family, and the survivors are in deep pain. it is completely classless and cruel to bring up past marital indiscretions online after a man dies along with his teen daughter. Rediculous.
    Discuss what you like among yourself amongst friends in private but online, come on we are better than this. This man was not a politician that hurt any of us. He was an entertainer. He WAS one of the greatest athletes in history. His memory deserves some respect. And his grieving family certainly does.
    And I am not a basketball fan.

Last edited:

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I'm hearing this was not due to the fog initially but there was some sort of mechanical issue that caused this and then they inpacted at around 1700 ft. He was in radio contact. So this should be a quick investigation.
    Terrible.

Consider all of that hearsay. Nothing is fact until the investigation is complete. No one wants to see little kids meet this fate especially.
    Also no matter what your views are on Kobe Bryant's personal mistakes, he and his wife both chose to move forward together and continue their marriage. We are not in a position to judge them. Looks like they had a super happy and loving family, and the survivors are in deep pain. it is completely classless and cruel to bring up past marital indiscretions online after a man dies along with his teen daughter. Rediculous.
    Discuss what you like among yourself amongst friends in private but online, come on we are better than this. This man was not a politician that hurt any of us. He was an entertainer. He WAS one of the greatest athletes in history. His memory deserves some respect. And his grieving family certainly does.

QFT.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Terrible.

The ATC audio is available now

[video=youtube;RVA3k02lMe8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVA3k02lMe8[/video]

Burbank airport is at 778 feet MSL. They have relatively high ILS minimums of 800 feet because the last 0.9 miles of the localizer signal (which indicates deviation left and right of approach path) is unusable. You will hear the controller telling the helicopter when he has him hold that he has a citation that has gone around. This indicates that an airplane at around 1600 feet could not see the runway environment at Burbank when less than a mile from the end of the runway. At the time the helicopter was at 1000-1100 feet (the three digit number below the 72EX identifier is the target's altitude in 100s of feet reported automatically to ATC by the helicopter's transponder). As he proceeds north around the Burbank airport he climbs to 1400 feet. Van Nuys approach gives him 1100 overcast when he contacts them, so it is likely he is in the clouds at this point or just barely beneath them. As he curves around Van Nuys and bends south to pick up and follow the 101, he climbs to 1700 and just before impact he appears to be climbing rapidly and altering course before radar contact is lost. Hard to pinpoint it exactly, but the terrain he impacted on likely tops out at about 2700-2800 feet. No sign of stress in the pilot's voice, no emergency transmission or mention of a problem. Unless there was a sudden catastrophic failure in a critical system like the rotor head, I think this one is he flew it into the ground, CFIT

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Controlled flight into terrain? Jesus Christ, I have synthetic vision on my cell phone that would warn of CFIT even if I couldn’t see a damn thing outside. And no radar altimeter? How senseless.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I would think he should have had some kind of FMS displaying GPS position and terrain, but if his head was outside and suddenly entered the clouds the few seconds to recover SA could have been critical. If I'm not mistaken, the fatality count indicates only one pilot

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Was asked a lot of questions about this today. Until the NTSB sorts it out I just see it as a tragic accident, low visibility, ceiling and rapidly rising hilly terrain. Disorientation sets in fast and close to the ground there just isn't any margin for error. The pilot had probably made this trip many times in various conditions with no issues. Helicopters can follow roads easier close to the ground and I'm sure he knew the local elevation and location of obstacles. Just this time he got up in the clouds and was disoriented with no time or altitude to recover.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom