Lame Saturday Night Activities: How Bad Is It?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Try to resist the urge to show your classmates how you can do a squat now. :twocents:

That's good advice.

So . . . midterm is in the bag. I ruined my 100% average! :ugh:

There were 30 questions, with some having multiple parts. I missed 1/3 of the first problem, which left me with a score of 29.67/30 points, or 98.89%. My midterm grade will be based on a 99.34% average. :xmad:

Objectively I understand that I did well. Unfortunately I'm somewhat demanding of myself when it comes to academics. It's been thirty years since I've activated the part of my brain that gets crazy when I don't meet my expectations and standards in the classroom. Not sure how I survived years of this reaction while an undergrad, but adolescent brain chemistry is wacky anyway.

The kicker is that I used the available time to work every problem twice and I didn't catch whatever error I made. It could have been a conceptual error, or it could have been simple a goof when entering the answer. When using the equation editor to input answers, it's very easy to make a small error like using x for the variable in your answer when the problem statements was in terms of a different variable, like w. Unfortunately there is no partial credit (other than for questions that had multiple parts/responses required), so goofy errors like that, which would be minuscule on a paper exam, make the entire answer wrong online.

I'm starting to calm down, though.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I can do a squat.....once.....

Me too! Now . . .

It's been quite a while since my knees would tolerate bending them that far, much less under the stress of my body weight. I had Euflexxa injections (3 in each knee) during April and May and it has improved my life. The muscles in my legs and hips atrophied quite a bit when I wasn't able to walk much in the last few months, but I'm already seeing an improvement in that regard.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    It is about F"ING time, bro.

An explanation is in order . . .

Some of you have observed my whining about not being able to secure employment as an engineer (without relocating) due a long and weird series of circumstances that are no longer important to the story. The key is that for years when I whine, people have suggested that I return to school to finish my PhD or just to refresh some basics so that I could be employable at the entry level. My response was always that I couldn't really do that because my math is essentially gone. I could do very simple calculus, but not much that would be useful beyond studying business or accounting.

While that's a valid reason, it's also an excuse. Recently some (more) coworkers were removed from the payroll after 30+ and 20+ years of service, and the two who are my friends are very competent and fill vital rolls in our machine. The portion of their duties which overlapped my work have suddenly been shifted to me, even though I was not formally informed of their layoffs or that this would happen. Given the rate at which my colleagues are being cut loose, I am reminded that my tenure with the company may be shorter than I anticipated, even with the added "security" of more duties.

I am late, but I need to make preparations to create more options for myself. So, since my excuse has always been that my math is too weak, I decided to rebuild my foundation. I'm doing differential calculus this summer and will do the companion integral calculus class in the fall semester. After that, I need to find a 3-D/vector calculus class to complete, followed by a couple of differential equations courses. Once I have that minimum foundation restored, I can start re-learning engineering and physics fundamentals, whether for potential employment or for a return to school.

Even if I choose a different path, retraining my brain with math will help me, whether I apply it directly, it's necessary as prerequisites, or just to reorganize the shambles inside of my skull. I believe that it will be net positive for me, regardless of what I choose to do next or what opportunities I am able to identify and pursue.

So that's why I'm doing calculus homework on a Saturday night (and now a Sunday morning). The summer term is only eight weeks instead of 16, so the work load is a big higher. So far, all is going well. I won't say that "it's all coming back" to me as most people say things will, but I do notice that some concepts that confused and vexed me in high school and even as a freshman in college seem easier to comprehend and apply. I think that's because my brain works differently now and the mental "noise" that we all have when teenagers and young adults has abated significantly over time. While I don't have the stamina or raw brain power I once had, I think I can focus more readily on specific tasks than I could when I was younger. As long as I take things in manageable bites and I continue to plod forward at a steady pace, I will succeed.

In retrospect, this topic seems like an excuse to bait people into asking me about so I could tell this story. However, that is not the case. First and foremost, I was actually thinking about how lame it was to be sitting around doing high school and college level homework as a middle aged guy who should have been sleeping in front of the television. Second, I'm not shy about interjecting my stories whenever the hell I feel like it. Heh.

My lame Saturday night activities has a less lame motivation, but it's still lame!

Finally, I originally used the word "pathetic" instead of lame, but my friend chezuki's use of "lame" fits this situation much better.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    That's good advice.

So . . . midterm is in the bag. I ruined my 100% average! :ugh:

There were 30 questions, with some having multiple parts. I missed 1/3 of the first problem, which left me with a score of 29.67/30 points, or 98.89%. My midterm grade will be based on a 99.34% average. :xmad:

Objectively I understand that I did well. Unfortunately I'm somewhat demanding of myself when it comes to academics. It's been thirty years since I've activated the part of my brain that gets crazy when I don't meet my expectations and standards in the classroom. Not sure how I survived years of this reaction while an undergrad, but adolescent brain chemistry is wacky anyway.

The kicker is that I used the available time to work every problem twice and I didn't catch whatever error I made. It could have been a conceptual error, or it could have been simple a goof when entering the answer. When using the equation editor to input answers, it's very easy to make a small error like using x for the variable in your answer when the problem statements was in terms of a different variable, like w. Unfortunately there is no partial credit (other than for questions that had multiple parts/responses required), so goofy errors like that, which would be minuscule on a paper exam, make the entire answer wrong online.

I'm starting to calm down, though.
    HANG YOUR HEAD IN SHAME!!! Wait, unless it was multiple choice and three of the four choices were "Bacon", "Threeve" and "Lebenty-Leben", go buy another knife in celebration. That thar calculus is HARD!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    HANG YOUR HEAD IN SHAME!!! Wait, unless it was multiple choice and three of the four choices were "Bacon", "Threeve" and "Lebenty-Leben", go buy another knife in celebration. That thar calculus is HARD!

Holy crap! That's exactly what happened . . . I saw "buy a new knife" and it distracted me from the correct answer, "bacon."

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Holy crap! That's exactly what happened . . . I saw "buy a new knife" and it distracted me from the correct answer, "bacon."

It's the old distractor answer trick. USAF promotion tests had a bunch of those. Of course when you get to the third page and then check the cover to make sure it's a test on the right career field, you know you won't be sewing on a new stripe anytime soon.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Nessun dorma! Nessun dorma!
    Tu pure, o Principessa
    Nella tua fredda stanza
    Guardi le stelle che tremano
    D'amore e di speranza!
    Ma il mio mistero è chiuso in me
    Il nome mio nessun saprà!
    No, no, sulla tua bocca lo dirò
    Quando la luce splenderà!
    Ed il mio bacio scioglierà
    Il silenzio che ti fa mia!
    ll nome suo nessun saprà
    E noi dovrem, ahimè! Morir! Morir!
    Dilegua, o notte! Tramontate, stelle!
    Tramontate, stelle! All'alba vincerò!
    Vincerò! Vincerò!

-- Giacomo Puccini

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    Good on you Rhino. It is never too late to go back to school or learn something new.

I was in my mid 30s when I went back to school and got my Bachelor of Science in Information Services. It was much easier in my mid 30s than it was in my late teens/early 20s. I had WAY more discipline. For 2.5 years I had no life. I didn't game, I didn't do hardly anything other than the minimal stuff with the family (to keep my child reminded what daddy looked like). My wife was fantastic most of the time while I was back in school with keeping household stuff away from me so I could just do school, and work my day job. It wasn't easy.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Good on you Rhino. It is never too late to go back to school or learn something new.

I was in my mid 30s when I went back to school and got my Bachelor of Science in Information Services. It was much easier in my mid 30s than it was in mry late teens/early 20s. I had WAY more discipline. For 2.5 years I had no life. I didn't game, I didn't do hardly anything other than the minimal stuff with the family (to keep my child reminded what daddy looked like). My wife was fantastic most of the time while I was back in school with keeping household stuff away from me so I could just do school, and work my day job. It wasn't easy.

Well played, sir!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    So . . .

I completed my MATH211 (Calculus I) final exam this afternoon. I scored 96.93%. I'm not 100% thrilled about that (get it?), but I am relieved that it's over for a week or two. Final grade will be assigned on a 98.75% course score. I know it sounds weird, but right now I'm thinking of ways I could have reduced opportunities for losing points on the exams. I should be focused on the fact that I am confident that I understand the concepts and applications well enough to move forward, but that 18-year-old college student living and his unreasonable standards for himself has awakened from old memories.

I'm registered for MATH212 (Calculus II) for the fall semester. I shall endeavor to improve and be less of a disappointment to my family, my friends, and my people.

On the bright side, my brain is working well now. I'm finding that re-learning this stuff looks different this time around, probably because of my perspective as well as the fact that your brain changes over a 30-35 time span.

I'm also considering turning my focus to data analysis and modeling. Some more remedial math, some remedial statistics courses, and then I need to learn how to code in Python and/or R. I'm considering enrolling in a "data science" program too.

Now I just need to be ready to move to the stage in life when life hands me circumstances that require it!

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    Way to go Rhino! A 98+% is nothing to sneeze at.

I never got past Geometry and Algebra 2. I tried Trigonometry and just could not understand it.

I’m glad my degree didn’t require Calculus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    So . . .

I completed my MATH211 (Calculus I) final exam this afternoon. I scored 96.93%. I'm not 100% thrilled about that (get it?), but I am relieved that it's over for a week or two. Final grade will be assigned on a 98.75% course score. I know it sounds weird, but right now I'm thinking of ways I could have reduced opportunities for losing points on the exams. I should be focused on the fact that I am confident that I understand the concepts and applications well enough to move forward, but that 18-year-old college student living and his unreasonable standards for himself has awakened from old memories.

I'm registered for MATH212 (Calculus II) for the fall semester. I shall endeavor to improve and be less of a disappointment to my family, my friends, and my people.

On the bright side, my brain is working well now. I'm finding that re-learning this stuff looks different this time around, probably because of my perspective as well as the fact that your brain changes over a 30-35 time span.

I'm also considering turning my focus to data analysis and modeling. Some more remedial math, some remedial statistics courses, and then I need to learn how to code in Python and/or R. I'm considering enrolling in a "data science" program too.

Now I just need to be ready to move to the stage in life when life hands me circumstances that require it!
    That's a 99% in a Calculus class, CELEBRATE!! :rockwoot::alcoholic::thumbsup::banana::40oz::buddies::bacondance::alright:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Thanks all!

Still trying to accept that I did well and stop berating myself for not doing what I expected I should do.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    MATH212 (Calculus II) officially starts Monday, but access to Ivy Tech courses opened today. I'm trying to get a head start on my hoet mework, but it won't allow me to access the assessment system yet (Pearson MyMathLab).

I am concerned about an unexpected turn of events. It appears that the textbook is now the 3rd edition, whereas I purchased 2nd edition for the summer MATH211. That's typically not a huge problem, but I was supposed to be able to use my registration for MyMathLab for this course as well. I am concerned that the school adopting a new edition of the textbook will force me to buy a new registration code at the very least, if not a new copy of the book.

UGH.

I'm also unsure at this juncture why I am doing this. I am now in my busy season for my "real" job, the two Ivy Tech online classes I teach are starting, I'm working on a complicated Medicaid application for my mother, and I really need to start practicing my gun handling and shooting skills again. And exercise. I also need to take my trip to North Dakota to get a non-resident carry permit. I'm not sure where I'm going to wedge taking the class into all of that.

Top Bottom