• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I don't think it is a common occurrence with the particular pejorative term we are discussing.

If I am correctly guessing the term to which you are referring then I have no frame of reference. :dunno: I just know that it is inappropriate for me to use it because it would be considered harmful and insulting so I eschew its use.

People with mental disabilities come in all flavors and it is a disability that crosses all lines: ethnic, religious, political, cultural, economic, etc. It can occur at birth or later. I just think we can be big enough not to use their condition as an insult or as a joke.

I agree. I also happen to think it's harmful and insulting no matter who uses it. As it relates to this topic, as others have said, they would not use the "R" word when referring to someone that is disabled, but don't see it as harmful when describing the behavior of someone that is not disabled. That seems to be the same principle - ie. "intent" and context is what makes a word inappropriate.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    When it is used as a pejorative to insult someone then it becomes objectionable and harmful because it sets a standard that it is okay to call someone by that term. When a word associated with a group of people is used to insult others by association then it is demeaning to innocents. Consider this possible internal reaction "He hates him so much that he said he was like me" or maybe "He said that guy was worthless because he was like me". When you use inclusion in a group as an insult then you are insulting, demeaning and lessening the human value of every member of that group.

Do you have the same feelings towards my earlier example, such as telling someone they don't have a broken leg? Or even let's say a cripple? As in you're not crippled get off your lazy ass? Or quit acting like you're crippled and get it yourself?

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I use all kinds of words some people may find offensive and I generally do not worry about. Be offended, I dont care. One is not forced to read what I write or listen to what I say.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    I use all kinds of words some people may find offensive and I generally do not worry about. Be offended, I dont care. One is not forced to read what I write or listen to what I say.

That's not really the point... It's about respecting your fellow humans

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Do you have the same feelings towards my earlier example, such as telling someone they don't have a broken leg? Or even let's say a cripple? As in you're not crippled get off your lazy ass? Or quit acting like you're crippled and get it yourself?

I don't think there is any social stigma attached to the temporary condition of having a broken leg. I don't think people with a broken leg are emotionally harmed when jokes are made about broken legs. I doubt that people are embarrassed or made to feel uncomfortable about having a broken leg (depending on how it occurred of course :): ). People with a broken leg are not permanently more vulnerable and in need of protection than the general populace.

This isn't an exercise in logic, this is an exercise in decency and socially acceptable behavior and language. What point are you arguing? Are you honestly hoping to prove that it is okay to call someone a retard? Well, it isn't. It is hurtful to those that actually have a mental disability and promulgates a social stigma.

I don't know you so maybe you just like to debate as a game. Maybe you honestly want to understand why it is wrong or when it crosses the line. Maybe you are even trying to help me refine my explanation. :dunno:

What I do know is that using the term in question as an insult is harmful, inappropriate and to me illustrates a lack of class.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I disagree. I think the real problem in this thread is that people are seeing this as two entirely different issues but trying to argue it as one issue.

I agree, but there are more than two here:

1. Is it socially acceptable to use the term "Retard" in an open forum?
    2. Should there be repercussions for the use of the term "Retard"?
    3. Is it wrong to enforce a real estate contract to the detriment of a Military Serviceman?
    a.) And, if so, should someone who does that be considered to have in fact gone "Full Retard"?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

3. Is it wrong to enforce a real estate contract to the detriment of a Military Serviceman?
    a.) And, if so, should someone who does that be considered to have in fact gone "Full Retard"?

These points must be pondered upon.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

3(b)? Where is 3(b)? If you have a 3(a) you have to have a 3(b). Is there a reason there isn't a 3(b)? What is that reason? There must be a reason. People don't just do 3(a) without a 3(b). Unless you have something to hide. You are hiding what is in 3(b), aren't you?

Dammit, Janet, I simply MUST know what 3(b) is. Don't make me bust out the EIT to find out. That is going to get totally ugly. And wet.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I don't think there is any social stigma attached to the temporary condition of having a broken leg. I don't think people with a broken leg are emotionally harmed when jokes are made about broken legs. I doubt that people are embarrassed or made to feel uncomfortable about having a broken leg (depending on how it occurred of course :): ). People with a broken leg are not permanently more vulnerable and in need of protection than the general populace.

This isn't an exercise in logic, this is an exercise in decency and socially acceptable behavior and language. What point are you arguing? Are you honestly hoping to prove that it is okay to call someone a retard? Well, it isn't. It is hurtful to those that actually have a mental disability and promulgates a social stigma.

I don't know you so maybe you just like to debate as a game. Maybe you honestly want to understand why it is wrong or when it crosses the line. Maybe you are even trying to help me refine my explanation. :dunno:

What I do know is that using the term in question as an insult is harmful, inappropriate and to me illustrates a lack of class.

I agree with the broken leg, which is why I added in the cripple part. Which I notice you didn't address. And having a certain IQ makes a person permanently more vulnerable and in need of protection? Where do you specifically draw the line? 60? 70? 80? Higher or lower than those? And why?

And it is both. What one person finds decent and socially acceptable another may not. And it may also be situational dependent. Are you arguing that all uses except perhaps in a medical setting of the use retarded when applied to a person is always in every other situation indecent and socially unacceptable? And yes I do like to debate and will on occasion take the devil advocate position this isn't that time.

What I do know is that term maybe harmful, inappropriate and illustrate a lack of class, situation dependent.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    If you want to break it down into four questions here are my opinions.

No, it is not.

Sure, something along the lines of "Dude, that's not cool, don't do that".

No, if the agreement was entered into willingly by adults then it is a legal contract and there is nothing wrong about enforcing it. Would I personally be inclined to cut a warfighter a little slack if it was within my power? Sure. I wouldn't give him a free pass but I would be inclined to extend a little courtesy. "Well, the policy is 7 days but you haven't seen your family for 6 months so you can stay an extra day or two before you deploy." Would I let him stay for a month? No, not unless he paid the extra fee (if applicable).

Leaving out the offensive term, I wouldn't think the person enforcing the agreement was in the wrong. He is within his rights to enforce a legal contract. He might not have the authority to extend a waiver for another week or might be reluctant to set a precedent. He might also know more about the situation than someone looking in from the outside. Maybe he tried to avoid being the bad guy but had no choice.

A lot of news stories are intended to provoke an emotional response without giving the full story. I didn't read all the links but it sounds like the initial story didn't give all the relevant facts.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    3(b)? Where is 3(b)? If you have a 3(a) you have to have a 3(b). Is there a reason there isn't a 3(b)? What is that reason? There must be a reason. People don't just do 3(a) without a 3(b). Unless you have something to hide. You are hiding what is in 3(b), aren't you?

Dammit, Janet, I simply MUST know what 3(b) is. Don't make me bust out the EIT to find out. That is going to get totally ugly. And wet.

I said 3. a.)

Why did you add the extra parentheses in your response?

I know what you're trying to do, and I think it's reprehensible. You're trying to put words (or parentheses) in my mouth and I'll have none of that.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    QFT. We've become way too sensitive.

I and many others have said multiple times that this isn't a sensitivity or PC thing, and it's definitely not a PC thing. I'm not the least bit offended by any word. This is all about respect and consideration in my eyes. Obviously others disagree and aren't even viewing the disagreement in the same way.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I said 3. a.)

Why did you add the extra parentheses in your response?

I know what you're trying to do, and I think it's reprehensible. You're trying to put words (or parentheses) in my mouth and I'll have none of that.

What are you - [strike]retar[/strike] disabled?

You can't just do "3. a.)" like that. No one does it like that. No one in the thousand-year history of the internet has ever even thought to do it like that. In the 20 millennia of recorded human history, not one single sentient person has ever done it that way. Yet here you are acting like it is ok.

Besides that, you are STILL avoiding the question about 3(b) or 3. b.) or however you want to say it. What evil hast thou wrought?

(BTW, I'll not put anything of mine - parenthetically or otherwise - in your mouth. There's no telling where its been.)

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    You can't just do "3. a.)" like that. No one does it like that. Yet here you are acting like it is ok.

the question about 3(b) or 3. b.) or however you want to say it. What evil hast thou wrought?

OK, now I see where we're going with it.

First you tell me I can't do that and that nobody does that, and that I'm some kind of parenthetically deficient person for doing it.

And then in the next sentence YOU SAY YOU'RE FINE WITH IT.

Now who's trying to confuse the issue?????????????????????????????

Could it be that the simple truth; the truth that you say you don't want to talk about, but in fact can't keep yourself from talking about is that you really are, and have been fine with it all along?

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    I and many others have said multiple times that this isn't a sensitivity or PC thing, and it's definitely not a PC thing. I'm not the least bit offended by any word. This is all about respect and consideration in my eyes. Obviously others disagree and aren't even viewing the disagreement in the same way.

You are correct, I don't view the argument in the same way. Your side is completely neglecting the context in which "retard" was said. It wasn't said in a manner that an any way attacked a disabled person nor was it said to a disabled person.

On a side note, I still use the term "invalid" quite a bit in daily use.

Top Bottom