• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    You are correct, I don't view the argument in the same way. Your side is completely neglecting the context in which "retard" was said. It wasn't said in a manner that an any way attacked a disabled person nor was it said to a disabled person.

On a side note, I still use the term "invalid" quite a bit in daily use.

No, but it was used as an insult, suggesting that people who fall into that group are somehow inferior...otherwise it wouldn't be an insult...

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    This is my challenge to you then. Why would you act better in church then you would in your every day life?

"Our character is what we do when no one is looking." I think we have all said things in front of people we did not know where there. We should speak as if they are there, and then it doesn't matter. Please do not view this is me saying I am better than anyone, I'm just trying to point out a place we can all improve.

What's that have to do with it?
    Everything is location/environment dependent.
    I don't have sex in church. Do I need to stop that outside of church?
    I don't shoot my guns at church. Do I need to not shoot at the range.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    This is my challenge to you then. Why would you act better in church then you would in your every day life?

"Our character is what we do when no one is looking." I think we have all said things in front of people we did not know where there. We should speak as if they are there, and then it doesn't matter. Please do not view this is me saying I am better than anyone, I'm just trying to point out a place we can all improve.

Speaking of that... Got a guy at work that is bipolar. He is taking meds. He is a complete (3 letter word) idiot. Very cocky and arrogant. Love to go off on everyone. It is a bipolar thing. Strangest thing, when the boss is around he can completely control himself.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Speaking of that... Got a guy at work that is bipolar. He is taking meds. He is a complete (3 letter word) idiot. Very cocky and arrogant. Love to go off on everyone. It is a bipolar thing. Strangest thing, when the boss is around he can completely control himself.

Then he's not bipolar.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    What's that have to do with it?
    Everything is location/environment dependent.
    I don't have sex in church. Do I need to stop that outside of church?
    I don't shoot my guns at church. Do I need to not shoot at the range.

I know we've stated we're beating a dog horse... BUT...

Your examples are not a fair comparison. Having sex does not harm someone (done properly I suppose) if they know you do it, assuming you're not cheating on someone. Using the word "retard" can harm people if they hear it or find out that you use it.

Shooting your guns at church verses the range again is not a fair comparison. There is an appropriate place for shooting ones guns. The knowledge that you shoot is not going to harm someone.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I don't know that I'd necessarily be so strict if I were the owner but both parties willingly signed the contract. Being a soldier, home on leave does not entitle you violate a contract and it seeing this is sounds like student housing, I'm sure the owner is concerned if he breaks the rules for one, he'll have to do it for everybody else.

No visitors.
    I didn't think a spouse was a visitor.
    He is if it's student housing and not married student housing.

A little research goes a long way. This apartment is student housing at Clemson. It has reduced rates and all included utilities.
    How DARE you try to get more information before becoming outraged and calling for this landlord's testicles!

The way I understand it (so probably wrong), he lives on base in another state and doesn't normally reside there. So since student housing rent is usually based on occupancy, they probably elected to leave him off since he wouldn't be there often.

Could the landlord (or mgr or whatever) not be a grinch? Sure.
    Could the couple accept the T&C's they signed and abide by them? Sure.
    Could the media and the couple not use his military status as a ploy? Sure.
    Could mjarrell not try to foment outrage on INGO? Sure.
    Could this thread die? Maybe.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Were is this rule you're alluding to?

He said "retard". He simply used a word that isn't particularly PC. It's not religious or racial in nature. He didn't call a member a retard. There was no personal attack.

In 20 years, the term special needs will be derogatory.

That's just it, either let the term 'retard' be it's a original meaning of someone slow in mind, or let it enter vocabulary in a new way disconnected from that meaning, just like 'geek', 'jerk', and 'f*#k' have. I guess I look at it from a more analytical perspective, but it's nonsensical to me. Right now, 'retard' is in that quasi state of use where it's use is only in the realm of R rated movies, standup comedians and my grandmother.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That's just it, either let the term 'retard' be it's a original meaning of someone slow in mind, or let it enter vocabulary in a new way disconnected from that meaning, just like 'geek', 'jerk', and 'f*#k' have. I guess I look at it from a more analytical perspective, but it's nonsensical to me. Right now, 'retard' is in that quasi state of use where it's use is only in the realm of R rated movies, standup comedians and my grandmother.

It's also used in The Firearms Blog articles (okay, they used "retarded")... https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-10-forgotten-rifle-designs-20th-century.html

From the link in that thread...

"In the late 1950s, the Red Army was looking to modernize her arsenal of small arms by creating a lightweight, easily mass produced automatic carbine that could be issued in lieu of existing SKS and AK carbines, PPSh and PPS sub-machine guns, and RPD squad automatic weapons. The weapons that eventually resulted were the AKM carbine and RPK automatic rifle, but one very promising competitor to the Kalashnikov design was a lever-retarded (Kiraly) blowback rifle designed by one Gherman A. Korobov. Cheaper to make, lighter, and more accurate in full auto than the AKM, the TKB-517 was arguably the superior weapon. Later, the French FAMAS bullpup would resurrect Paul Kiraly’s lever-retarded blowback mechanism."

;)

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN

And ignition timing in an internal combustion engine.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Maybe the Landlord should have gone "Full Leotard" instead.

Bet the couple would have quickly ponied up the extra dough.

Speaking of that... What if the roles were reversed??? She got 2 weeks off for Christmas and wanted to spend 2 weeks with her husband and daughter at his base???? Since he has not seen his daughter in person.

Top Bottom