• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    So I could hide out in some brush and use my Standard Products M1 Carbine with 110gr. Soft Nose loaded to about 2000 fps ? Barrel length is 18 inches and cases measure 1.283 inches. Loaded them a few decades ago for a "just in case" reason. Now I have a reason. Gave about 2"+ at 100 yards with issue sights. Will have to take it out this summer and blow the cob webs out.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    So I could hide out in some brush and use my Standard Products M1 Carbine with 110gr. Soft Nose loaded to about 2000 fps ? Barrel length is 18 inches and cases measure 1.283 inches. Loaded them a few decades ago for a "just in case" reason. Now I have a reason. Gave about 2"+ at 100 yards with issue sights. Will have to take it out this summer and blow the cob webs out.

It meets the criteria, and it met the criteria last season.
    The only suggestion I would give you would be to spend a bit more for the best possible bullet that will expand reliably, stay together, and penetrate completely.
    The .30 Carbine is a marginal caliber for this purpose, so you'll want a premium bullet to get the most out of it.
    Here are some suggestions that should be ideal choices, at least as long as your rifle is able to stabilize them enough to group well:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/6...meter-110-grain-flat-base-lead-free-box-of-50

Barnes themselves states that this one is specifically designed for SBR velocity levels, which should make it the idea choice for the old Carbine caliber - https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...meter-110-grain-flat-base-lead-free-box-of-50

Here's another that looks promising, at least as long as you can fit it through your magazine - https://www.midwayusa.com/product/9...iameter-125-grain-spitzer-boat-tail-box-of-50

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/3...r-110-grain-gmx-boat-tail-lead-free-box-of-50

Of course, it goes without saying that you'll want to keep your ranges very short (around 50 yards or less) to see that the bullet is still going pretty fast upon impact.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    This is terrible news. Why does anyone need more than a muzzleloader or bow to hunt deer with? There will be blood in the streets..... think of the children!

I know a couple of hunters who hated the change last year, and this one even more.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    This is terrible news. Why does anyone need more than a muzzleloader or bow to hunt deer with? There will be blood in the streets..... think of the children!

I know a couple of hunters who hated the change last year, and this one even more.

It goes back further than that. LOTS of hunters were against the PCRs as they just knew we would all be like Chuck Conners on The Rifleman..

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    It goes back further than that. LOTS of hunters were against the PCRs as they just knew we would all be like Chuck Conners on The Rifleman..

Elmer_in_Rabbit_Fire_%281951%29.png

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central

I`ve never understood why the dissension. Why the flintlock guys hated the inline guys. Why the recurve guys hated the compound guys. Why the compound guys hated the crossbow guys. When we are afforded options to take game that make us more efficient hunters, who likely make quicker, cleaner kills, how is that a bad thing?

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I`ve never understood why the dissension. Why the flintlock guys hated the inline guys. Why the recurve guys hated the compound guys. Why the compound guys hated the crossbow guys. When we are afforded options to take game that make us more efficient hunters, who likely make quicker, cleaner kills, how is that a bad thing?

Envy, elitism, and good old-fashioned smugness.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    What's a PCR?
    Paul Craig Roberts?

Got the feeling that my .38Long Cox thirty-five year hunting rifle will still be dissed.
    38LC.jpg

And my fast twist .40 bore muzzleloading deer rifle will still be dissed.
    40GPR_310GR FP_70 FFg.jpg

Oh well.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    That is one that I wish they would change. You can use a pistol, but not an SBR.

When all this started I was wanting to be allowed to take my .300 blackout SBR. Step in the right direction I guess.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    What? When did that change? Citation for the code?

Nothing changed.
    This was as it was written last year, when the .243 bore and .308 bore rifles were first legalized; and it's as it was written when only handgun-caliber rifles were allowed.

But, here's your citation, found on page #6 (comes out to page #8 in the PDF to account for the two cover pages at the beginning) - http://www.eregulations.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/16INHD.pdf
    "The rifle must have a barrel length of at least 16 inches."

That's concise and definitive.
    Admittedly, this is the 2016 guide, but they didn't change anything in the statehouse that will be reflected in the 2017 guide other than the aforementioned widely expanded caliber requirements that allow every rifle caliber from .243 bore on up, with the only further restriction being that maximum case length can be no more than 3".

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Nothing changed.
    This was as it was written last year, when the .243 bore and .308 bore rifles were first legalized; and it's as it was written when only handgun-caliber rifles were allowed.

But, here's your citation, found on page #6 (comes out to page #8 in the PDF to account for the two cover pages at the beginning) - http://www.eregulations.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/16INHD.pdf
    "The rifle must have a barrel length of at least 16 inches."

That's concise and definitive.
    Admittedly, this is the 2016 guide, but they didn't change anything in the statehouse that will be reflected in the 2017 guide other than the aforementioned widely expanded caliber requirements that allow every rifle caliber from .243 bore on up, with the only further restriction being that maximum case length can be no more than 3".
    Sorry, I thought you were referring to no SBR's at all, not just HPR SBR's.

PCR SBR's are still GTG then!

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Yep! Put a real stock on it and its no-no, but a pistol with a "brace" is good to go. Oh well, same thing.
    Hard to tell what you're intending to say, but just to lay it all out there so there is no confusion.

A SBR is a short-barreled rifle, complete with a shoulder-stock. They were legal to use with pistol calibers before the HPR law was passed and AFAIK are still legal on all lands public and private except where local regulations restrict them.
    A pistol, with or without an arm brace, was legal for any caliber over .243 and minimum case length of 1.16" before the HPR law was passed and AFAIK is still legal on all lands public and private except where local regulations restrict them.
    The only thing that has changed is we have ADDED additional guns/calibers that can be used: rifles that meet the requirements previously discussed, and fall within the caliber/length constraints are now legal on private property only.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    it`s already out there. Saw this on the IDNR website under equipment for deer:

What are the rifle cartridge size requirements for Firearms Season?
    The Department of Natural Resources has received numerous questions regarding recent legislation that legalizes certain rifles for deer hunting beginning later this year. Most questions have to do with calibers and cartridges allowed under the new law.
    House Enrolled Act 1415 that was passed earlier this year by the Indiana General Assembly (state legislators) and signed by the Governor allows some additional rifle cartridges to be used on private land during the deer firearms season.
    A summary is as follows:

• The rifle must have a barrel length of at least 16 inches
    • The rifle cartridges must have a cartridge case length of least 1.16 inches and have a maximum case length of 3 inches
    • The cartridge must fire a bullet with a diameter that is .243 inches (same as 6mm) or larger
    • A hunter may not possess more than 10 such cartridges while in the field
    • These new rifle cartridges may only be used on private land
    • Full metal jacketed bullets are illegal
    • These new rifle cartridges may be used during the youth deer season, deer firearms season, special antlerless firearm season (where open), and deer reduction season (in deer reduction zones where local ordinances allow the use of a firearm from the start of the regular firearms season through the end of the following January)
    All the cartridges that were legal in recent years are still legal on public and private land and meet the following requirements: cartridges that fire a bullet of .357-inch diameter or larger; have a minimum case length of 1.16 inches; and have a maximum case length of 1.8 inches. No full metal-jacketed bullets are allowed.
    Rifle cartridges that are legal under HEA 1415 include, but are not limited to, the following:

• 6mm-06
    • 6mm BR Remington
    • 6mm PPC
    • 6mm Remington
    • .240 Weatherby
    • .243 Winchester
    • .243 Winchester Super Short Magnum
    • .25 Remington
    • .25-06 Remington
    • .270 Winchester
    • .30 Carbine
    • .30 Herrett