• ...and so much more!
  • Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Since I moved here in '95 cannot get over the Lafayette habit of not putting cars in the garage, especially when weather is nice for car hopping.

Not sure where the custom comes from but when I bought my house I was working for .gov and my secretary drove by on a Saturday AM while I was busy working on the place. She remarked that I should "turn my garage into a living room", I stood there thinking she was joking but apparently some in Lafayette turn garages into rec rooms, perhaps this is why all the outside parking here?

I'll try "Things Hoarders Do" for $800, Alex.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I advised a new guy at work to park his new motorcycle farther up in the lot away from the street as the gate was always open and only about 5 yards away. One day a pickup truck with 4 guys in the back pulled in quickly and his bike was tossed into the bed, followed by the 4 guys.

And yet it takes all day to help my friends move...

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    True story...

In 1981 I was heading out to the Junior parking lot when I noticed two teacher's looking at my 1972 Chevy Pick Up's cab.....

"Hey Rick!!!"

"Yes Sir.."

"Is that 10/22 the deluxe model or standard?"

"Deluxe.."

"Do you mind letting me look at it? I am trying to decide between that and the standard and want to know if the wood is worth it.."

"Not at all sir.."

And myself and two teacher's handled my 10/22 in the parking lot...

Note: I ran a trap line before and after school and the 10/22 was for that.....

:runaway:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I'll try "Things Hoarders Do" for $800, Alex.

I don't think it is hoarding, or driven by hoarding. My secretary was salt of the earth, but it is just a cultural/custom thing here (maybe other parts of the state too).

Partly driven by the tendency to fill up empty space whereas my home has deliberate empty space so if I need to temporarily store stuff or sort out the gun collection or whatever I have empty space to work in.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I don't think it is hoarding, or driven by hoarding. My secretary was salt of the earth, but it is just a cultural/custom thing here (maybe other parts of the state too).

Whenever my wife's family would visit from L.A. they would see our two car detached garage and to a one they would say...

"You need to turn that into an apartment...Get some rental income going...."

"Uh...No...That's not how we roll here...Besides, where would I drink beer or bourbon and listen to The Pogues at full blast if I did that???":)

[video=youtube;r1NyWs_rtSk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1NyWs_rtSk[/video]

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I would never think of not locking the car especially if there's a gun inside.

However, if it were not necessary to leave the gun due to the number of places off limits to carry, then just about nobody would choose to leave a gun in a car. How many people would choose to disarm if they didn't have to? It's not like I just happen to have this sudden urge to take my side arm off when I park the car.

Change the law so that people never have to leave a gun in a car, at least very infrequently. If it's a place with a good reason to off limits, then provide a secure place to store firearms. In the mean time, it's easy to say "have a lockable case secured to the vehicle". Where is that case supposed to be installed where it isn't visible? Who makes it and who installs it? No need to list the manufacturers and installers, the point is it is another expense on my part. I will lock the door and make sure it's out of sight, That's what the law requires. Not going to spend hundreds buying a safe and trying to modify the console in my pickup to camouflage a gun safe. There needs to be some responsibility on the part of law makers to stop creating these situations as well.

Last edited:

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    Locking your car will not make the stuff inside secure. A side or back window can be busted in seconds with minimal danger to someone crawling in. I suggest an out of sight gun safe, it is still not foolproof but most fools are after a smash and grab and will not want to spend the time to open a lockbox or safe inside your car.

USA#1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    In the forest
    This kind of irresponsible behavior (leavimg guns in unlocked cars) makes us all look bad. Let's keep it class Indiana gun owners. For the most part, if it is not on my person, it is locked in the safe. There was actually something on evening news this week about this. I liked what the law enforcement had to say about it. Basically, you have a permit to carry, so carry and don't leave it in your glove box. There are always going to be times where you end up having to go in somewhere you didn't plan on going and genuinely have to leave it in your car, but at least lock it up and don't make it any easier for the thieves.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    HA! Same here. My Jeep's driver door lock (made with cheap plastic linkage parts) started locking itself on rough roads (just like a new S&W). I removed the manual locks (just like a new S&W). I never leave anything in my Jeep but trash....... I did install a hidden kill switch on the starter circuit just to make some sucker's day. Over the years I have had so many cars and trucks broken into by breaking a window with nothing of value in them that I will never leave anything in them or lock the doors. Auto glass is not cheap. Go right ahead and dig through my glove box and console - knock yourself out. My buddy told me I should lay a rat trap in the bottom of the console with a napkin over it. GOTCHA! Pretty much all keyed locks used on autos are absolute junk (except for them Eurotrash cars) - a 4th grader can pick one in less than 10 seconds. Don't ask how I know this...... Locks are the illusion of security. Go to the Lockpicking 101 forum website if you want to see how easy it is and how many people know how. It will change how you look at locks.

Last edited:

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Truth. We grew up never locking the doors. Cars garage or the house. I know what changed but will not openly talk about it. Not in here.

Yep, I grew up in a small town in the 1940`s ~ 50's. Many of the cars in town did not even have keys, the ignition had ON / Off / Lock positions with a small lever on the switch. Many people put the keys away and lost them! I don't think anyone locked their car,

We didn't even have locks for our home, and I don't recall anyone locking their doors anyway. If you went to visit someone and knocked they usually would yell "who is it" and when you yelled back your name they would say "come on in".

I remember one home "invasion". The county Sheriff was called ~ it had snowed before the incident so he tracked the "criminals" about 3 blocks to their house the 2 brothers, about 12-14 years old were given a real lecture and the items taken returned. Never happened again.

We didn't have any Police locally, nor did any small towns in the area. Nearest police were the Sheriff (30 mi away), deputy might drive through once a month, other than that the State police would visit when called - we had one that covered much of Northern IN.

I do often keep a gun in my vehicle - a 38 spl derringer worth less than $100. I do keep my car locked whenever I am not in it as I have a GPS and Radar Detector exposed worth about $300 ~ $400. Can't say they are safe as glass is easily broken. But they are insured through my Comprehensive Insurance.

sempreobie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Boone County
    If it is not a prohibited area, or in your garage, why leave a firearm in your vehicle. Isn't a person more likely to need protection once they step out of their vehicle.

IMO, especially these days, leaving anything of value unattended in a vehicle should be the exception, not the rule! Would you regularly leave $300+ cash in your vehicle and expect it to be safe?

Lafayette PD is right on to shed light on this issue. Don't be a felons firearm store!

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom