• ...and so much more!
  • chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Maybe I have this all wrong. Instead of being against adding more protected classes, maybe we need to make everyone a protected class. One big tie-ballgame.

I think we need a constitutional amendment that says, "...nor shall any State...deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Let's apply BBI's test of logic, remembering people have rights but businesses are legal constructs.

1) Was it custom work?

Yes.

2) Would you make that custom item for any other customer?

No.

Result: You don't have to make it.

Does that decision tree apply to a cake with two grooms? If the baker won't create such a custom item for anyone, that absolves the baker from making such a custom item for a homosexual couple?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    What if I want to marry the cake? Can I force the baker to make a cake with a little chubby beige guy in baggy cargo pants and a hawaiian shirt kissing a delicious-to-scale facsimile of a cake on top of it?

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    They only tried to do that as an example and to make some headlines, maybe try to sue and change the laws. They were not sincere.

completely different than......the........other ....case.. ....That was ........completely legit.

No, really it was

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I read an interesting article on this issue today written by a Catholic priest in Madison, Wisconsin. He suggested that Christians not refuse their services if requested to do so, but simply provide the service in a Christian fashion. Accept the business, serve the clients courteously, cheerfully, and professionally, provide the best products or services possible. Explain to them that the payment received for the services will be donated to a traditional pro-family lobby. Explain that when the caterers, or photographers, or musicians arrive at the wedding, they will wear some type of widely recognized Christian symbol to the wedding such as a cross, or crucifix, or a bible pin. Clothing worn might include an image of Jesus, possibly the Holy Family, or an embroidered bible verse related to marriage.

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    I read an interesting article on this issue today written by a Catholic priest in Madison, Wisconsin. He suggested that Christians not refuse their services if requested to do so, but simply provide the service in a Christian fashion. Accept the business, serve the clients courteously, cheerfully, and professionally, provide the best products or services possible. Explain to them that the payment received for the services will be donated to a traditional pro-family lobby. Explain that when the caterers, or photographers, or musicians arrive at the wedding, they will wear some type of widely recognized Christian symbol to the wedding such as a cross, or crucifix, or a bible pin. Clothing worn might include an image of Jesus, possibly the Holy Family, or an embroidered bible verse related to marriage.

gotta love those Priests

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis

The only problem I could see would be a possible suit if you didn't wear the same clothing and/or pins, etc. at all weddings.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

I like it.

unshelledpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2014
    Hammond
    What if I want to marry the cake? Can I force the baker to make a cake with a little chubby beige guy in baggy cargo pants and a hawaiian shirt kissing a delicious-to-scale facsimile of a cake on top of it?

Cakeception. I don't know if I can handle that kind of critical thinking

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    SCOTUSBlog link.
    Masterpiece Cakeshop, Ltd. v. Colorado Civil Rights Commission - SCOTUSblog

Decision text:
    https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/17pdf/16-111_j4el.pdf

This is a good case IMHO.
    The government, consistent with the Constitution’s guarantee of free exercise, cannot impose regulations that are hostile to the religious beliefs of affected citizens and cannot act in a manner that passes judgment upon or presupposes the illegitimacy of religious beliefs and practices.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The Supreme Court granted a narrow victory to people of faith on Monday, holding 7-2 that the Constitution did not allow the Colorado Civil Rights Commission to order Christian baker Jack Phillips to bake a wedding cake for same-sex weddings because a commissioner said Phillips’ Christian beliefs on marriage were “despicable.”

Wait . . . how is a 7-2 vote a "narrow victory"? Is narrow referring to the specifics of the judgement?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Wait . . . how is a 7-2 vote a "narrow victory"? Is narrow referring to the specifics of the judgement?

Yeah, it wasn't a straightforward 7-2.

KENNEDY, J., delivered the opinion of the Court, in which ROBERTS, C. J., and BREYER, ALITO, KAGAN, and GORSUCH, JJ., joined. KAGAN, J., filed a concurring opinion, in which BREYER, J., joined. GORSUCH, J., filed a concurring opinion, in which ALITO, J., joined. THOMAS, J., filed an opinion concurring in part and concurring in the judgment, in which GORSUCH, J., joined. GINSBURG, J., filed a dissenting opinion, in which SOTOMAYOR, J., joined.

So, 7 agreed on the result, with a plurality (or 2?) agreeing on why.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Sounds like media/libs trying to backpedal the court's results?

"It depends upon what the meaning of the word 'is' is."

clinton-lie.jpg

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Let leftys throw Trump supporters out of bars. Let Christians refuse to make cakes for anyone they don't like.

Everyone needs to put on big boy pants and realize everyone won't like or agree with you.

Not like it is the electric, gas or water company refusing services as a public utility.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    From what I am reading the large part (right to refuse) has not been decided.

https://apnews.com/459b5e723c4c47ff...-with-Colorado-baker-on-same-sex-wedding-cake

This decision slaps the Colorado Commission and doesn't settle the larger issue. It appears that there are other cases coming through the pipe that may answer that question.

Doug
    Yes, it sounds like if at least one member of the Colorado Commission had chosen their words more carefully (ie. not being antagonistic to the defendant's religious belief) the Supreme's decision could have possibly gone the other way. I'm glad they decided the way they did (correctly IMHO).

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    All I know is I'll take a LGBT sammich over any piece of cake, baked by a baker of any religion, any day of the week...:yesway:

C5XTNL_W8AAE2QO.jpg

Top Bottom