• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Sounds like media/libs trying to backpedal the court's results?

Not really.

Well, I can't speak to the entirety of MSM reporting on this.

In terms of appellate court decisions, though, I would call this a victory with "narrow" precedential value. They did try to make this as specific as possible to the local "human rights" commission, so as to narrow the consequences. (And there were some REALLY bad facts for that commission.)

But, I think it does provide a logic-path for future cases.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Wait . . . how is a 7-2 vote a "narrow victory"? Is narrow referring to the specifics of the judgement?

The decision (7-2) was not narrow, but the scope of the ruling was narrow. Essentially, the court is saying that the bias of the State actors was so egregious here that they couldn't help but rule the way they did, but the "larger questions" remain unanswered and must ripen more in the lower courts.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The decision (7-2) was not narrow, but the scope of the ruling was narrow. Essentially, the court is saying that the bias of the State actors was so egregious here that they couldn't help but rule the way they did, but the "larger questions" remain unanswered and must ripen more in the lower courts.

Which is, IMO, why it is 7-2.

I don't like activist courts no matter who they favor. You don't make broad constitutional rulings unless they are absolutely necessary to the case. Here, it was not...but likely there is another case, and another day, when the direct confrontation of a right enshrined in the Constitution versus a judge-made newly found "right" to force other to do stuff is unavoidable.

Why haven't some Ayrian Brotherhood people sued a bakery for not putting a swastika and their slogans on a cake?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    So, I spent some time last night going through Ginsburg's dissent. It is pretty darn good.

In a state's rights sense, it actually would uphold a state's ability to regulate non-1A protected activities.

(Curious aside, apparently cake decorating isn't necessarily a protected 1A "communication." I pretty much disagree with that, as any art form is communication.)

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    Let's say I own a drive in restaurant. Our mission is to serve good hot food to our customers at reasonable prices, and with fast friendly service.

We don't care if our customers are homosexual, bisexual, trysexual, heterosexual, or asexual. We don't even ask. We sell you food and you give us money.

If a same sex couple approaches me about having their wedding at my business, I will decline. Doesn't matter why. It's because I said so.
    If a man and woman approaches me about having their wedding at my business, I will most likely decline.

I also reserve the right to change my mind for whatever reason.
    I agree, but you and I don’t see the special status that is going to be applied to the first part of your example. That special status allows for the claim of discrimination that doesn’t exist in the second half of your example. Society sees it differently than it actually is.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

I don't like activist courts no matter who they favor. You don't make broad constitutional rulings unless they are absolutely necessary to the case. Here, it was not...but likely there is another case, and another day, when the direct confrontation of a right enshrined in the Constitution versus a judge-made newly found "right" to force other to do stuff is unavoidable.

Why haven't some Ayrian Brotherhood people sued a bakery for not putting a swastika and their slogans on a cake?

Maybe they're not big enough *******s to do that?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Maybe they're not big enough *******s to do that?

Not petty and vindictive enough to try to ruin a man's business and livelihood to prove some sort of point?

I'm sure they could work up the angst- they just need to find a black baker.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    So, I spent some time last night going through Ginsburg's dissent. It is pretty darn good.

In a state's rights sense, it actually would uphold a state's ability to regulate non-1A protected activities.

(Curious aside, apparently cake decorating isn't necessarily a protected 1A "communication." I pretty much disagree with that, as any art form is communication.)
    She was awake long enough to write one?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Nice attack on a forum member. You should hold your head high on that one.

Hmmm... member since March 2011? Figured a thicker skin for such a long-time member. That wasn't an "attack."

Ahhhhh... 16 posts since March 2011? Never mind. I think I know what's going on. ;)

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Hmmm... member since March 2011? Figured a thicker skin for such a long-time member. That wasn't an "attack."

Ahhhhh... 16 posts since March 2011? Never mind. I think I know what's going on. ;)

Pare you implying they were sleeping with Ginsburg all that time? LOL

M

breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    It isn't about the cake.

It is about being compelled to engage in commerce. Why does the cake baker not want to engage in this commerce, because it is a celebration of sin.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    It isn't about the cake.

It is about being compelled to engage in commerce. Why does the cake baker not want to engage in this commerce, because it is a celebration of sin.

Why does somebody want to force another, against their will, to make a cake for a rump rider rodeo?

Chances are good that it would come out pretty crappy.

Why not find somebody that enjoys doing such things instead of forcing one that doesn't to do it?

breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    Why does somebody want to force another, against their will, to make a cake for a rump rider rodeo?

Chances are good that it would come out pretty crappy.

Why not find somebody that enjoys doing such things instead of forcing one that doesn't to do it?

Because it is about enforcing acceptance.

Disallowing acting out some beliefs through the weight of law.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    It isn't about the cake.

Actually, it's about compelled speech...which has actual protection under the First Amendment.

And T.Lex...c'mon, that dissent was nothing great. It was basically: "I disagree".

As usual, I thing Justice Thomas was dead on.

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers

I don't know that they were Aryan Brotherhood, but the same board who came down on this baker supported 3 other bakers who refused to make anti-gay cakes of some sort.

breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    Actually, it's about compelled speech...which has actual protection under the First Amendment.

And T.Lex...c'mon, that dissent was nothing great. It was basically: "I disagree".

As usual, I thing Justice Thomas was dead on.

Yeah I understand that aspect as well. I also believe that choosing to engage or not engage in commerce is speech as well.

Top Bottom