• ...and so much more!
  • jstein650

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    Rochester, IN
    Hi - new here.

Has anyone heard of the "35 Indy" -I'm pretty sure that's what he called it. I was in a gun shop recently and picked an 'in the works' cartridge. It looked pretty awesome; it had a 35 cal. PSP rifle bullet loaded into a (necked up) 25 WSSM case! Apparently it was developed specifically to satisfy the case dimension limitations for IN deer firearm hunting. I think it still was within the 1.6" and not the proposed 1.8" case. Can only guess that the performance would be pretty awesome!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Hi - new here.

Has anyone heard of the "35 Indy" -I'm pretty sure that's what he called it. I was in a gun shop recently and picked an 'in the works' cartridge. It looked pretty awesome; it had a 35 cal. PSP rifle bullet loaded into a (necked up) 25 WSSM case! Apparently it was developed specifically to satisfy the case dimension limitations for IN deer firearm hunting. I think it still was within the 1.6" and not the proposed 1.8" case. Can only guess that the performance would be pretty awesome!

Sounds like the same round as the 358 BFG. Send a PM to member "fireball168" he has barrels, dies, cases, etc. Bryan specializes in making Indiana legal deer cartridges and I know he's got a couple based on the WSSM case, trimmed to legal length. He's got both 35 caliber and 45 caliber loadings.

Carp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Alan Brown of A.J. Brown

Alan Brown of A.J. Brown Arms in Bloomfield makes top shelf rifles in these calibers. A.J. Brown Arms Co.. Is also very familiar with a few highly effective options for a 1.8" limit.

steve666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Indianapolis Eastside
    Here is a pretty complete list of Indiana legal deer rifle calibers:
    357/44 Bain & Davis357 Maximum357 Magnum357 Auto Mag38-44 S&W38 Dardick Tround9mm Mars9.5mm Tercova Pistol41 Long Colt41 Long Colt, short Case41 Winchester Experimental414 Super Magnum400 Colt Magnum40 BSA Auto Pistol38-40 Win401 Herters Power Mag400 Eimer Colt41 Remington Magnum44 M&H440 Corbon43 Eimer Colt11.15 Werder Pistol44-40 Win445 Super Magnum44 Remington Magnum44 S&W Special44 Auto Mag45 NAACO11.3mm Gasser/ 11.3 Montenegrin / 11.4 No2 Montenegrin11.5mm Montenegrin11.75mm Gasser Revolver450 Magnum Express11.2mm Gasser45 Dardick Tround450 Winchester Magnum45 Colt454 Casull Magnum11.5x35mm Werder Revolver / Carbine45 Silhouette11.6mm German Service475 Linebaugh475 Wildey Magnum480 Ruger500 S&W Magnum50 Action Express500 Linebaugh360 Dan Wesson458 Socom

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    DNR: Deer Hunting Regulations

It's no surprise to me when people want to hunt deer in the wild but can't find a link while they are sitting in front of a computer.

It's not surprise to me when people can find the link can't understand what they read there about the deer hunting regulations but they still want to hunt wild deer where they live.

It's not surprise to me when people who couldn't find the link while they were sitting in a warm house in front of a computer and can't understand the regulations when they read them after they are printed for them and then they can't understand why the deer hunting regulations are the way they are but they still think they can kill a deer in it's own habitat out in the cold.

What surprises me is these people think they know how the rules SHOULD be. ROTFLMAO!

Last edited:

rjhans53

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2009
    Melonsdad, the 358 bfg (358 wssm) doesn't beat the 358 win mag, but it does top the 358 win a hair. Jack, I sort of agree with you BUT, why is it that this year it's 1.625" case length and next year it's going to be 1.8. I get stuck in "because it's what is legal and that's the way it is", there are just things that I don't understand and never will, to me it's just part of life. I've devoloped a 35 short that I get 2400 mol with a 200gr bullet, next year with the 1.8 rule that goes up to 2500 mol (already tested and ready to go just need to ream the chambers a touch deeper) with the bfg I've settled on 2500 + but have had it up to 2630 or so, 2500 is just more comfortable to shoot. But right now the 35 short smokes a 35 rem, or a 30-30 for that mater.

Last edited:

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana

It's no surprise to me when people want to hunt deer in the wild but can't find a link while they are sitting in front of a computer.

It's not surprise to me when people can find the link can't understand what they read there about the deer hunting regulations but they still want to hunt wild deer where they live.

It's not surprise to me when peopl who couldn't find the link while they were sitting in a warm house in front of a computer and can't understand the regulations when they read them after they are printed for them and then they can't understand why the deer hunting regulations are the way they are but they still think they can kill a deer in it's own habitat out in the cold.

What surprises me is these people think they know how the rules SHOULD be. ROTFLMAO!

LOL, this could be applied in many areas of life...:twocents:

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Whenever I read these threads about how to spend a TON of cash to get not very much ballistically and yet still be able to hunt deer for 2 weeks with your "rifle"....

I pat my Savage 10MLII and just smile.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Just Out of Curiosity - what cartridges are being added by the proposed rule change to 1.8" length? Is there something specific? Anyone know?

Thanks for the info

"Brother" Bill

rjhans53

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2009
    the only one that I know is the 357 herret, it becomes legal with the new law. Dom yep I got a savage also, in fact a pair and one of the has a $410 pac nor 45 on it. As far as a ton of money I don't have any more tied up in my rifles than I do my savage slug gun, and they kick a lot less.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    i have heard from 2 different guys that the 358wssm reaches out 400yrds to kill a deer... that is NUTS to me..

Nuts that someone said it, or nuts that a rifle can kill that far away?

With the 180 GR at 400 yards, the bullet is doing 1200 FPS, and has less than 700 ft-lbs of energy. Not exactly high energey any more, but it doesn't take much energy to go through the lungs on a whitetail. You can do it with a 22 rimfire.

It gives you +5" at 100, a 200 yard zero, -16" to -18" at 300 and -50"+ at 400, dropping like a rock.

Could it kill? Sure. Have I met many hunters that could hit the shot? Only on the internet.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    There are some fellows pushing the 180g Hornady SS/SP a good bit faster than the velocity listed below....but here you go.

358BFG180Hornady.jpg

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Melonsdad, the 358 bfg (358 wssm) doesn't beat the 358 win mag, but it does top the 358 win a hair. Jack, I sort of agree with you BUT, why is it that this year it's 1.625" case length and next year it's going to be 1.8.

Whiners and cry babies.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw

It's not surprise to me when people who couldn't find the link while they were sitting in a warm house in front of a computer and can't understand the regulations when they read them after they are printed for them and then they can't understand why the deer hunting regulations are the way they are but they still think they can kill a deer in it's own habitat out in the cold.

:rockwoot:

Jack, for this and other posts, I'd rep you but I don;t know if that is allowed by newer members! Not that you need it anyway. But maybe this will increase my post-count towards the magic 50...

Top Bottom