• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    Looks like we have to wait until next year for changes such as the .450 Bushmaster being legal as the length is is still 1.625 inches according the the newest IN DNR Hunting Guide, http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-deerhuntguide.pdf. I am not sure if I would spend that kind of $$ of a deer rifle, but it would be super sweet to hunt with that :)

Rifles with cartridges that fire a bullet of .357-inch diameter or larger; have a
    minimum case length of 1.16 inches; and
    have a maximum case length of 1.625 inches
    are legal to use only during the deer firearm
    season. Some cartridges legal for deer
    hunting include the .357 Magnum, .38-.40
    Winchester, .41 Magnum, .41 Special, .44
    Magnum, .44 Special, .44-.40 Winchester,
    .45 Colt, .454 Casull, .458 SOCOM, .475
    Linebaugh, .480 Ruger, .50 Action Express,
    and .500 S&W

jim7310

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Westfield
    DNR Announcement - Deer Hunting rule changes for 2012

The following announcement was put out by the IDNR on 9/21/11 in the "Wild bulletin" (free email subscription on the IDNR Website):

"NRC approves rule changes for 2012 deer season
    The Indiana Natural Resources Commission on Tuesday approved a package of changes to deer hunting rules that will go into effect in the 2012 season.
    None of the changes will be in effect this year.
    The final adoption vote came after preliminary approval by the NRC in January and a six-month public comment period that included hundreds of written comments and two public hearings.
    The rule changes include creating a crossbow license and authorizing its use during the entire archery season; extending the archery season without interruption from Oct. 1 through the first Sunday in January; extending the urban zone season from Sept. 15 through Jan. 31; requiring hunters in urban zones to harvest an antlerless deer before harvesting an antlered deer; establishing a special antlerless season from Dec. 26 through the first Sunday in January in designated counties; adding the non-resident youth licenses and a new deer license bundle; requiring display of hunter orange on occupied ground blinds; and extending the rifle cartridge length that can be used in the firearm season to 1.8 inches.
    These changes must still be approved by the Attorney General’s Office and Governor’s Office and published in the Indiana Register before taking effect."

The NRC also removed the four-toed salamander from the endangered species list...but I did not think it worth publishing the whole thing....

Jim

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    There is about to be a major change on legal rifle cartridges for deer in Indiana.
    Here is the link - DNR: Rule/Regulation Changes

And the pertinent quote from the above link:
    “Allows additional rifles to be used by reducing the bullet size required to .243 and eliminating the maximum rifle cartridge case length. This will allow high-powered rifles such as the .30-30 and .45-70 during the deer firearms seasons. Full metal jacketed bullets would be unlawful because since they do not expand when fired, and therefore, do not kill as humanely.”

The practical upshot of this is that any caliber currently legal in handguns (.243 Winchester, .45-70 Govt., .30-06 Springfield, etc.) will now be legal in rifles.
    This is very good news indeed to me, since I now will be able to select between my .45 Colt Ruger Blackhawk, .45 Colt Marlin 1894, and Ruger M77 .30-06.
    Yay!
    After all, Pennsylvania has about the same geography as Indiana has, but with a much bigger population, yet high-powered rifles have been legal there for over a CENTURY now.
    It's high time Indiana finally allowed the same.

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    There is about to be a major change on legal rifle cartridges for deer in Indiana.
    Here is the link - DNR: Rule/Regulation Changes

And the pertinent quote from the above link:
    “Allows additional rifles to be used by reducing the bullet size required to .243 and eliminating the maximum rifle cartridge case length. This will allow high-powered rifles such as the .30-30 and .45-70 during the deer firearms seasons. Full metal jacketed bullets would be unlawful because since they do not expand when fired, and therefore, do not kill as humanely.”

The practical upshot of this is that any caliber currently legal in handguns (.243 Winchester, .45-70 Govt., .30-06 Springfield, etc.) will now be legal in rifles.
    This is very good news indeed to me, since I now will be able to select between my .45 Colt Ruger Blackhawk, .45 Colt Marlin 1894, and Ruger M77 .30-06.
    Yay!
    After all, Pennsylvania has about the same geography as Indiana has, but with a much bigger population, yet high-powered rifles have been legal there for over a CENTURY now.
    It's high time Indiana finally allowed the same.

See this thread:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...59-dnr-proposal-243-up-rifle-deer-season.html

Top Bottom