Lessons learned from the Zimmerman trial.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I have learned (or verified my suspicions) that the system can be easily manipulated by outside sources to push an agenda. The system is tarnished/cracked and almost broken. The sheeple are on board for anything the talking heads (news "Readers) have to say. The riots are not with any real purpose but to cause a disruption in the lives of those who work every day and make the system function/. Most of those in the streets have no clue how this all works.

As to why does "T"s criminal record have any merit in this, it goes to who he was.

I'm not sure the sheeple are on board, but they're certainly not making their own opinions known. I think we have a very vocal minority with connections to the media and the ruling class (all inter-related by the way) that is not representative of the majority. So I would endorse Nixon's concept of a silent majority.

They had damn well better start being heard, though...

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    I learned that everyone has an agenda, and it rarely if ever is for the greater good.

I learned that there are no easy answers and we will never know the truth.

I learned we have not come as far as we had hoped, and that there is a lot of work to be done in the days and weeks ahead.

I learned that self defense is not a defense in the eyes of the masses and that your split second decisions (whether wrong or right) will be dissected and judged by those who have never been in your shoes.

I learned that what I do and say today can and will be used against me in the court of public opinion.

I've learned that ignorance is not just bliss, it is contagious...

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    I have learned to carry at all times. to many times i leave my home unarmed, cause i cant really hide the pistol i have.
    its time for me to get a pocket pistol. any suggestions?
    please pm, as to not thread jack.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    The way to win a fight is to walk away before it starts.

Sometimes, even when you walk away...... trouble follows.
    And then assaults you........ and jumps on top of you..... then trouble beats your head against a sidewalk.

I guess you can crawl away........... maybe.......... if you wake up.......... I hear coma's are nice this time of year.

At least you're probably not technically dead..... I bet a nice coma is relaxing.... no work... someone gives you a sponge bath..... sounds neat.

pwoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    And then assaults you........ and jumps on top of you..... then trouble beats your head against a sidewalk.

I guess you can crawl away........... maybe.......... if you wake up.......... I hear coma's are nice this time of year.

At least you're probably not technically dead..... I bet a nice coma is relaxing.... no work... someone gives you a sponge bath..... sounds neat.

Nice I want to steal this and send it to all my stupid libtard friends. They like to say wouldn't it be nice if Z gave M a ride home that night.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies

You can't avoid all violent encounters, but you can avoid most of them. Call me a pollyana, but I have found that the best way to stay out of **** is to not start ****. The second best way is to let it go when another party desperately wants to start **** and attempts to goad me into escalation. I carry, I am willing to defend with deadly force, but if I have to use violence I have already screwed things up. I have walked away from plenty of great opportunities to ruin my life.

Shooting a teenager to death and being found not guilty is better than being beaten to death (or comatized), but not near as good as going home without participating in a life or death situation.

I don't see Z as a great hero or villain. He's a cautionary tale.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Sorry to continue the threadjack, but 2 reasons I see that T's criminal history and social media history are of such importance:

1 - The big unknown in this story is who initiated the physical aggression. T's self proclaimed enjoyment and glorification of fighting definitely back up Z's claims.

2 - Disparity of force. It doesn't just mean who is the biggest. T obviously had more experience fighting and thus is probably much better at it than Z.

Back to the original topic... what did I learn?

That the general public seems to feel that questioning someone because you think they look suspicious (at least if they are black) is a heinous enough offense that physically assaulting the person is completely justified. People don't care if his story is true because they blame him regardless.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    You can't avoid all violent encounters, but you can avoid most of them. Call me a pollyana, but I have found that the best way to stay out of **** is to not start ****. The second best way is to let it go when another party desperately wants to start **** and attempts to goad me into escalation. I carry, I am willing to defend with deadly force, but if I have to use violence I have already screwed things up. I have walked away from plenty of great opportunities to ruin my life.

Good for you for not letting someone goad you but do realize you can't walk away from every situation? If you could, you wouldn't need the gun.

Shooting a teenager to death and being found not guilty is better than being beaten to death (or comatized), but not near as good as going home without participating in a life or death situation.

That is completely inflammatory. I'd expect from Piers Morgan not from an INGO member.

I don't see Z as a great hero or villain. He's a cautionary tale.

Anyone who would sucker punch another person, jump on them and smash their skull into concrete is dangerous psychopath. His actions that night likely saved some future victims life.

I'd say Zimmerman was a good man, trying to do the right thing. Nothing more and nothing less.

If he has to put into any category it would be in the hero column, simply because he stopped a violent psychopath and probably saved someones life down the road that night.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm not sure the sheeple are on board, but they're certainly not making their own opinions known. I think we have a very vocal minority with connections to the media and the ruling class (all inter-related by the way) that is not representative of the majority. So I would endorse Nixon's concept of a silent majority.

They had damn well better start being heard, though...

Yes, also true but the sheeple I speak of are running amok in the streets for no real reason other than they can. And they Vote.........freaking sccary.

Knight Rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Michiana
    Stupid things happen to stupid people and the best way to stay out of trouble is to stay out of trouble. It works no matter on which side you fall.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    From Z's perspective:
    He assumed he was following a teenaged petty thief that posed no physical threat. He was wrong.
    He assumed that when TM went out of site, he was gone and the encounter was over. Wrong again.
    When TM surprised him from behind, he did not immediatelygo on the defensive and beat feet.

From TM's perspective:
    He assumed he was being followed by an easy opponent. He was not facing another street fight
    He let his ego and emotions rule his actions. It got him killed.
    He did not call 911. Instead, he tried to handle the situation himself.
    He initiated a fight that did not need to happen and escalated it to deadly force.
    He approached this as just another street fight.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I learned that we all believe what we want to believe. We're very well equipped to pick and choose little tidbits of apparent proof that support a preconceived idea. But not as well equipped to look objectively at the entire body of information and come to a logical conclusion that is based only on the facts.

We all formed an opinion of Zimmerman's guilt or innocence when we first heard about the incident. Very darn few ended up changing their minds after they learned more of the facts.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    AFAIK, the fact that a bottle can be used as a weapon, and the fact that darkness makes it difficult to know what is in the person's hands, were never brought up. It seems very relevant to me - if a stranger appoaches me with anything in their hand that looks like it could be a hard object, I would immediately adopt a defensive mindset.

grogie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Wheeling Around Indy
    Not that I learned this, but it's reaffirmed to me that the majority of our society prefers to coddle criminals. We live in a fallen world, so I'm not surprised by it, rather I'm sadden for it.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    It definitely reinforces the notion that there are people among us who would prefer Idi Amin over Mother Teresa strictly on account of race.

brentlh

Marksman
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    May 11, 2012
    Muncie
    I learned that the age old adage is true. Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. In this case it was judged by 6 but that just doesn't sound good.

:patriot:

Top Bottom