• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    wonder where he had the knife when he went through security?

Years ago (pre 9/11) we were picked up at the airport in florida by an elderly family friend. When he greeted us he had is pocket knife in his hand. I asked how he got it through security (he had to pass through to get to where he met us) he smiled and said it was in his hand the whole time.

When I'm in uniform I never have to take off my boots going through the detectors so if I set them off I tell them its the "steel" in my boots :D But if I were going to carry on a plane it would probably only be a polymer knife tucked on my ankle with a 2" boot blouser.... IF i were to carry on a plane...;)

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    lol, I gave my friend the israeli covert knives set, he flew back and forth to nyc laguardia and never had and issue, I also taught him to use them decently well.....I'm sure airport security would flip over those....lol

DJM95B

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2009
    Schererville, IN.
    Flew out of Duluth, MN this morning and am laying over at Minneapolis right now. Duluth TSA almost seem to take pleasure in questioning everyone and rifling through all their belongings. I got lucky, all I had to surrender was a tube of toothpaste. With all the people they get through that airport going on hunting/fishing trips, I've seen plenty of guys have to surrender all kinds of expensive gear.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    Everyone knows how security hates small pocketknives.
    I have carried one since high school.
    Which BTW my son (who is in high school) cannot do without getting expelled.
    Anyway I forgot to leave my pocketknife in the car.
    It's one of those Leatherman squirt tools.
    My SOP, when I forget, is to take the knife and put it in my computer bag.
    Usually no one ever notices it and nothing is said.
    That plan has worked more than once.
    However this particular time the scanner person was VERY good and tagged my bag for a search.
    They found the squirt right away, but then they found a double bladed pocket knife also.
    I have NO IDEA how long that had been in there.
    They got confiscated.
    No big deal.
    No security.
    No threats.
    No arrests.
    They just took my knives.
    I bought more on ebay 3 for $40.:rockwoot:

critter592

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    North Central, IN
    With all the rush to buy up handguns since last fall I wonder how many new law abiding gun owners become criminals because they just weren't ready for the responsibility or weren't required to prove they knew anything about the gun they were buying.

TSA: Firearms at the Checkpoint

Firearms at the Checkpoint

Terminal Madness
    Between August 3 and 5, Transportation Security Officers (TSOs) found 12 firearms at checkpoints around the U.S., including:
    • a 9 mm firearm loaded with 15 rounds
    • a .25 caliber firearm loaded with eight rounds
    • a 9 mm semiautomatic firearm loaded with 10 rounds
    • a .40 caliber semiautomatic firearm loaded with nine rounds
    • a .25 caliber semiautomatic firearm and a magazine loaded with five rounds.
    This is not out of the ordinary. Transportation Security Officers find firearms in carry-on bags virtually every day. In 2006, some 820 firearms were intercepted at U.S. checkpoints.
    What do people say when faced with the fact that there's a gun in their bag? "I forgot it was there" is the story most often heard by TSOs and law enforcement officers. A few even blame someone else: "My wife/husband must have left it in my bag."
    Whether or not the gun was put in the bag intentionally, TSOs are required to contact law enforcement immediately. In addition to potentially missing their flight, passengers could have their gun confiscated and/or face criminal charges. A fine from TSA is also possible.
    TSA Travel Tip: Look through your bag before going to the airport to make sure you do not have a gun or other prohibited item.

critter592

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    North Central, IN
    Just to add to the article which only gives a number for a 4 day period.

In the week 9/14 to 9/20 there were 25 firearms found at checkpoints. This is happening EVERY week. For most it's people just forgetting they had it on them in the luggage. You CAN transport a firearm in your CHECKED luggage but you cannot bring it as a carry on even if unloaded. Check the current regs before your next travel.

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    When I'm in uniform I never have to take off my boots going through the detectors so if I set them off I tell them its the "steel" in my boots :D But if I were going to carry on a plane it would probably only be a polymer knife tucked on my ankle with a 2" boot blouser.... IF i were to carry on a plane...;)

they made me take mine off in atlanta when i was coming back from r&r. and then i was taken to the side and hand patted. ridiculous.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    9/11 hi-jackers had blades smaller than 3 inches. Of course they tried to conceal they were BGs so doubt some dude with a folding knife is a BG just not aware he's gotten away with something.

But it was a USAir passenger that spotted a nervous looking USAir employee who had smuggled their roomate's handgun past security so the roomate could take it to phoenix. The plane had already pushed. TSA got the plane back to the gate and offloaded everyone. Rescreening of the roomates current carry-on revealed the handgun. The observant passenger also the employee and roomate exchange luggage after passing security.

The thing that peaks your interest at the airport just might be preventing the next 9-11. These guys do not and will not give up. Please be observant and speak up.

"The next 9-11"? 9-11 could not happen again (for the time being anyway) for reasons that have nothing whatever to do with the TSA and whether or not someone has a pocketknife (or even an actual firearm). Sure, terrorists willing to die to do so could bring a plane down. They could do that today. None of the security methods currently in place could stop it. What they can't do, what keeps them from making another "9-11" is use the airplane as impromptu cruise missiles. They will be unable to do so until the government has the sheeple retrained to the idea of "sit tight and let the government deal with it." It was that idea, that it was better to cooperate with the hostages and wait to be rescued, that let 9/11 happen, not just the box cutters.

The one flight that failed of its objective on 9/11/01 was the one where the passengers fought back. Had they been better equipped to fight back they may actually have been able to save the passengers and plane.

I've used this before as an example of how it should be. From Michael Z. Williamson's novel Freehold
    At the airport, the procedure was strange to her. There was no search of her or her luggage, she didn't need fingerprints or retina pics to prove who she was and they had a procedure for weapons safety. She'd forgotten she was wearing her sidearm, as she now wore it out of habit.
    "Please clear your weapon, Ms Pacelli," an attendant asked. She blushed and complied, stuffing the magazine and spare round into her pouch. "We'd prefer that you store it in your pouch and in the underseat stowage. You'll still be able to reach it quickly in an emergency, but it eliminates the chance of an accident."
    She nodded in response. It made sense. Given the obsession with personal freedom here coupled with the need to avoid accidents, it made sense. A historical scan she'd done the week before indicated there'd never been a successful act of piracy, questionable commandeering or hijacking aboard any Freehold aircraft, transport or registered vessel. Ever. She couldn't conceive of any UN nation ever considering allowing personal weapons, however. It was an alien concept.

Jubbie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Northwest Indiana (slacker)
    The one flight that failed of its objective on 9/11/01 was the one where the passengers fought back.
    You made Last Fallen Hero by Charlie Daniels Band run through my head.

Not sure why they are even bothering to limit what people can take on-board. Considering that almost anything could be used as a weapon. When I flew out of Midway to Pittsburgh for business this year the guy next to me asked to borrow a pen. He could've easily started a stabbing spree with it. Now that my mind is kicking in our LTCH's could be used as a weapon, paper cuts hurt.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    I had a pyramid studded belt that security tried to make me throw away. They said it was a dangerous weapon. Some boys in green overhead our "discussion" and airport security petitioned to them for their opinion. They sided with me and said a belt was a belt. It's a good thing, too, because I didn't want to display my buttcrack for a 1500 mile flight.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    I have a subscription to Flying magazine which has a column written by an airline pilot for a glimpse of the GA folks into the airline cockpit. IIRC, that author qualified through his airline to carry a firearm on the flightdeck when the Federal program was introduced. He was very glad for the extra security of the firearm but it was short-lived. His airline canceled the program within a short amount of time. He didn't blaspheme the airline he works for but he came very close to doing so.

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    geico_eyeball_money2.jpg

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    seriously???!!! ATL is always full of military personnel and when I've been there I've never seen anyone get this treatment!
    yea, i was shocked. my boots have the steel shank and that was what was tripping the metal detector, but they wouldnt take my word for it. so i took them off and was subjected to "damn that boy got skinny ankles" from a female tso as she snickered to her friend. i should have sued. they said the pat down was sop after someone trips the metal detector.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I flew to Orlando this past weekend, (to hunt alligators, which was awesome) and I arrived late for my flight. The airline told me they could not check my baggage, but I could bring it to the plane directly.

Of course, I didn't realize they meant AS A CARRY ON. Security saw my custom engraved KA-BAR and tried to take it away from me. Then they offered that I could throw it away. Finally they told me I could mail it to myself, except the little bags for mailing things are just large enough for a couple packs of cigarettes, and my knife sure as h*** wasn't fitting in one.

In the end, I settled for missing my flight and checking my baggage onto the next one. Ugh.:ugh:

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    I had a similar experience.
    I was going to a jobsite with a small bag of tools.
    Screwdrivers, a hammer, a couple of :runaway:carpet knives...

Well there was a 1 hour time difference in the airport I left from.
    I was too late to check bags.
    So I calmly laid that bag of tools on the scanner, went through the metal detector and waited...
    The scanner people just about flipped.
    They directed me to an officer who said "You can't bring tools on an airplane!"
    I replied "It wasn't my intention, but they would not let me check it."
    We went around and around for a couple of minutes but I wanted to get on the flight so I told the officer "You just got yourself a bag of tools."

When I got to the gate they were holding the plane.
    I told the person checking the tickets that I had left a bag of tools with the policeman at the scanners.
    She told me they take care of it and the tools would be at the ticket counter when I got back.
    Upon my return, I went to the ticket counter and they were holding them for me.
    So I learned that the airlines are waaaay more willing to help than the TSA. :rockwoot::patriot:

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Airport security isn't about being secure, it's about making sheeple feel secure. A secure airport is one where the would be victims are empowered to do something about would be aggressors.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    scottrodgers87
    Top Bottom