Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    3/multi-gun rig example

Here is an example of a 3/multi-gun equipment layout. YMMV

3gunrig.jpg

1. Shotgun - this is a Benelli M1S90 for those keeping score
    2. Side saddle - This is an 8rd model from 3gungear.com. There is another on the opposite side in a 2 down/2 side (aka 2x2) configuration
    3. AR
    4. Shotshell caddy/stripper. I generally have three of these on. I do most of my reloading during a COF. Many others do it from the gun (2) or from things like arm saddles, etc.
    5. Pistol magazine holders - generally no less than 2
    6. AR magazine pouch - this is also made by 3 GunGear Competition and Tactical Gear I also have one plastic Safariland holder that I will use.
    7. Holster - this is my "race" holster (Safariland 012). I also have and will use a Kytac Super Hooper and a Safariland 6004 thigh holster in multi-gun
    8. Pistol :draw:
    9. Stiff belt - Safariland seen here (do you detect a theme?)
    10. 10 - shotgun magazine extension tube. This is actually a factory installed extension tube. The best aftermarket ones going right now, IMO, are made by Nordic Components, especially for Winchester SX2/FN/Browning Gold and for Benelli :rockwoot:
    11. Scope - If you shoot Tactical or Open class, these are allowed. This is a Aimpoint ML2 on a LaRue detachable mount. I'll also use a Trijicon ACOG TA11 or a Pentax 1.5-5x. It all depends on the match, range and targets.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    That is correct. The logistics and scoring of a 3-gun tournament are simple compared to what is involved in multi-gun. The latter takes more time and effort in planning, preparation, and during the match itself. Scoring is more complicated as well. When ACC lost their scoring guru (quite a while ago), they switched back to 3-gun tournament as their standard format.

While you, Mr. Guru, are normally spot-on with your intel, you are, I'm sorry to inform the masses that this time you are a bit...eh...WRONG. :rockwoot:
    From co-match director John Alley at ACC (hot off of the e-mail presses, I might add)

Atlanta Conservation Club will be hosting a MULTI-GUN match this coming Sunday 11/1/08. The round count is as follows:

Multigun Stage: 24 rounds
    Multigun Stage: 24 rounds
    Pistol Stage: 20 rounds
    Rifle Stage: 32 rounds
    Pistol Stage: 24 rounds

It is my understanding that the multigun stages CAN be shooters choice as to what firearm to use. Because of that a round count for a certaqin firearm is not available.

Bring plenty of pistol, rifle, birdshot and slugs
    I can't confirm the italic printed portion. Normally the stage requires certain targets to only be engaged with specified guns, otherwise it is a procedural penalty per shot or per target.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    well done, dave. this is a very good example of a "tactical" setup. take the glass off of the ar and it would work well for limited. add a red dot and a comp to the shotgun, sky's the limit on sighting for the rifle, and add a comp and red dot to the pistol and you are ready for open.

Here is an example of a 3/multi-gun equipment layout. YMMV

3gunrig.jpg

1. Shotgun - this is a Benelli M1S90 for those keeping score
    2. Side saddle - This is an 8rd model from 3gungear.com. There is another on the opposite side in a 2 down/2 side (aka 2x2) configuration
    3. AR
    4. Shotshell caddy/stripper. I generally have three of these on. I do most of my reloading during a COF. Many others do it from the gun (2) or from things like arm saddles, etc.
    5. Pistol magazine holders - generally no less than 2
    6. AR magazine pouch - this is also made by 3 GunGear Competition and Tactical Gear I also have one plastic Safariland holder that I will use.
    7. Holster - this is my "race" holster (Safariland 012). I also have and will use a Kytac Super Hooper and a Safariland 6004 thigh holster in multi-gun
    8. Pistol :draw:
    9. Stiff belt - Safariland seen here (do you detect a theme?)
    10. 10 - shotgun magazine extension tube. This is actually a factory installed extension tube. The best aftermarket ones going right now, IMO, are made by Nordic Components, especially for Winchester SX2/FN/Browning Gold and for Benelli :rockwoot:
    11. Scope - If you shoot Tactical or Open class, these are allowed. This is a Aimpoint ML2 on a LaRue detachable mount. I'll also use a Trijicon ACOG TA11 or a Pentax 1.5-5x. It all depends on the match, range and targets.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    While you, Mr. Guru, are normally spot-on with your intel, you are, I'm sorry to inform the masses that this time you are a bit...eh...WRONG. :rockwoot:
    From co-match director John Alley at ACC (hot off of the e-mail presses, I might add)

I can't confirm the italic printed portion. Normally the stage requires certain targets to only be engaged with specified guns, otherwise it is a procedural penalty per shot or per target.

I stand corrected. This is a new or recent development, as there was much e-mail about this back when the decision to go with 3-gun tournaments only was made.

Good for them.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Fortunately you have a lifetime supply in case I need to borrow some. But that's what wifes are for, right?

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    I can see this thread went downhill fast. Figures, with you two...;)

Nice to finally be here.

Course, at my age, it's nice to be anywhere

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Fortunately you have a lifetime supply in case I need to borrow some. But that's what wifes are for, right?

Uh, no. You're the one always at the ready to hand it out, so you must be in supply.

Anyway, can we get back on topic? Sheesh, one little comment about my documented condition and here we are. At least I have x-rays

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    What type of targets are engaged with rifles? Any steel? I am wondering if there is a fundamental reason that small bore is not used. I understand rules may say "no", but that doesn't mean there is a logistical problem with it. If rifle shots are simply into paper targets, why not go rimfire. It'd open it up to a lot of people. Glock 19, 870, and a 10/22. If you know someone who only owns 3 different guns, odds are pretty good that its those 3. We could have the old timers division- 1911, Ithaca model 37, and a winchester bolt action. Any takers?

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    USPSA has power factor requirements, which is what dictates centerfire rifle and 20ga min for shotgun. I believe it is 155 for minor rifle. PF = bullet weight (gr) x velocity (fps) /1000.

I personally think that shooting with a 22 rimfire is a great thing. At worst you may have to shoot for no score, which isn't a big deal. Or, if there was enough interest, you might sweet talk that stats man/lady into a special 22LR division.

Now, before we get carried away, you have to get the thumbs up from the hard working folks who put up these matches, which is no easy task I assure you.

Top Bottom