• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Moderators ... could you please move the .22LR messages to the topic soundslikejosh started for talking about .22LR matches?

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    I got my ar last night. wish I could have made the shoot today. I'm gonna go to adderberry to zero. what range should I zero at for 3 gun?

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I got my ar last night. wish I could have made the shoot today. I'm gonna go to adderberry to zero. what range should I zero at for 3 gun?

the most useful zero, all around, will be at 50m, or 1 1/8 in low at 25m. you'll have some hold off at very short range and a bit of hold over past 300, but anywhere from 25 to just over 250 should hit pretty close to where you aim.

there are some other ideas on this, but this one works for me.

rhino, bigcraig and others may know different.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I use a 100 yd zero with my ACOG and I use it in 3/multi. I like it because I only have to worry about holdover out to 100yds, which is about as long as you'll find here in a match in Indiana. Plus, with the donut reticle, I have a nice set of indexed point for shots out to 100, 200, 300 and as far out as 600. My Pentax 1.5-5x is zeroed the same.

I have a 50 yd zero with my Aimpoint. I typically only use that optic at a match where I know everything will be up close and less than 50 yds. This is the same zero I use with my irons.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    I didn't make it to the range today :xmad: so I'm defiantly going tomorrow. All I got done today with all the other errands going on was I acquired a Ncstar 4 recticle tacticle sight and got it mounted. It mounted well and seems very solid on the rifle. I hope I have no problems with losing zero when changing recticle or after spending some ammo. I wasn't able to read any reviews on this particular brand of sight however did read some on some other less expensive sights that had those problems. I'm still trying to decide on the brand and style of flip up iron sights I'm going to get, The holo is all I need for now. I am planning on going to Atterbury late morning or early afternoon. If anyone in the area is free and wants to go drop me a line...JC:ar15:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The first time we had the 300 yard stage at Wildcat, I shot my rifle with a Leupold 1-4X on it. Usually I do really well accuracy-wise, but I think I had 4 complete misses (of 32 shots). BillD shot in my squad with an EOTech and handed my a** to me on that stage!

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    Rhino~ I can deliver the Cracker Racker, as well as a Dueling Tree (kinda poorly made though) and a homemade set of swinging 4" squares whenever you like. I was always kinda disappointed it didnt take off a couple years ago when we discussed it, but if there is still interest then lets make it happen.

btw, I dunno if the steel will handle .17's or not.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Rhino~ I can deliver the Cracker Racker, as well as a Dueling Tree (kinda poorly made though) and a homemade set of swinging 4" squares whenever you like. I was always kinda disappointed it didnt take off a couple years ago when we discussed it, but if there is still interest then lets make it happen.

btw, I dunno if the steel will handle .17's or not.

i've got a down sized plate rack for .22 and a bunch of 2" round and 4" square plates. also 2 sets of .22 weight steel bowling pins.

i'd say, with mike's stuff and mine, and a suitable venue of course, we have plenty of targets.

let's do this thing.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Let's try for January, with maybe an informal trial run before then.

We could do a theme too ... something cold and WWII-ish ... like Battle of the Bulges. :D

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Lots of great information here. I've always been interested in 3-gun, but never knew where to start around Ft. Wayne.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Probably the best way to start is to get some experience with the pistol matches first. FWAPS near Ft. Wayne is a USPSA-affiliated club that hosts pistol matches every third Sunday. You can get their contact information from the club finder at United States Practical Shooting Association.

Once you have a handle on how the pistol matches go, you can branch out into 3-gun.

Kingkarl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Against the grain, mostly
    3-gun

This sounds like a HOOT!
    Where can I go to watch and play?
    We have some land out west in Brazil, IN and we set up all sorts of targets, scenarios, etc. Sometimes we go out and only shoot .45s
    Other times we will only shoot .22 We just mix it up and have fun. I would like to meet up with some like-minded folks and shoot. It always is more fun with others and I have found that no matter what I am doing, it is always better to hang around people who are BETTER than me as it inspires and challenges me to do better myself.
    Thoughts?
    Any interest?

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Probably the best way to start is to get some experience with the pistol matches first. FWAPS near Ft. Wayne is a USPSA-affiliated club that hosts pistol matches every third Sunday. You can get their contact information from the club finder at United States Practical Shooting Association.

Once you have a handle on how the pistol matches go, you can branch out into 3-gun.
    great advice. in fact, my youngest son dearly wants to shoot 3gun, but we have a deal that he shoots a full season of pistol in order to learn the game.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    This sounds like a HOOT!
    Where can I go to watch and play?

KingKarl ... if you're near Brazil, then it'll be easy for you to join us for some pistol matches at the Riley Conservation Club in the spring. Our season starts in March, with the steel match on the first saturday and the USPSA pistol match on the third Sunday.

Riley Conservation Club
    Wabash Valley Practical Pistol Shooters

As far as finding 3-gun to watch or play, the nearest clubs would be AtlantaCC (north end of Hamilton Co.) or Wildcat Valley (near Brookston, IN, just north of West Lafayette).

I'd love to do 3-gun at RileyCC, but the interest (i.e. enough people to help) just isn't there.

Top Bottom