Life saving First Aid in a mass casualty situation.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Thanks for the pictures!

I pretty much keep the same items in mine plus some extras like sharpie, micro keychain light and safety pin.

It's hard to keep it slim enough to be carried everyday.

Those two little inside pockets at either end are convenient.You could keep some emergency information/contact in them.

I have an emergency phone number and my name inside mine.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Rescue Essentials Ankle TIFAK
    20190915-125230.jpg

20190915-125150.jpg

20190915-125027.jpg

L-R nasopharengial airway, 2 pr nitrel gloves, SOFT-W, 4" Izzy, tape, mask, boo boo kit and 6" scissors. The rubber band keeps them from falling out.

20190915-124843.jpg

Last edited:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I can't tell from the pic, but how would you go about removing the rubber band to get the shears out when needed? Is the band flexible enough to be able to pull the shears clear one handed and twist to get the band off?

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Just a strong tug. I had a problem that during the day they would work their way up and almost fall out. since that part is molle not elastic.

The band is just a rubber band.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    My ankle TIFAK used to ride down, I put a piece of hook tape inside it that catches on my sock. I imagine the same would work for it.

Spray glue works to hold stuff where you want it too.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Interesting CAT holder thingy.

When my entire ankle holster is too bulky to wear I usually just carry the CAT in a pocket with a pair of gloves.
    I have tried carrying in inside the waist band too, without any holster.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I’m very late to this party but better late than never so that’s why I’m resurrecting this thread. I’d been looking at trauma kits for a year or so, mostly from watching Active Self Protection episodes.

I went to NRAAM here in Indy this past April and bought a trauma kit off the show floor from Mountain Man Medical without knowing anything about what they include or how to use whatever is in there: https://www.mountainmanmedical.com/product/the-wind-river-trauma-and-first-aid-kit/

I took their online course here so I’d have some idea what in hell to do with all that stuff: https://www.mountainmanmedical.com/product/emergency-trauma-response-training-course/

Now I realize this kit is overkill for anything but staging at home or in a vehicle so it’s been earmarked for just that with emphasis on motorcycle carry with relocation between the daily driver and at home otherwise.

I’ve come to realize buying a prepackaged IFAK is the easy way but not necessarily the best way. I somehow (hopefully) have managed to navigate the Amazonian maze of crap vs. legit good deals and stumbled upon North American Rescue as a trustworthy source for this stuff.

Here’s what I just ordered for an ankle kit:

Galco ATM-Kit (Ankle Trauma Medical Kit) Five Neoprene Pockets 16" Blk https://a.co/d/c0GKYEx

With this to fill it up:

MediTac Intermediate Premium Bleeding Control Pack Feat. C.A.T. Tourniquet, Israeli Bandage, NAR Compressed Gauze Dressing and Hyfin Chest Seals https://a.co/d/4V2a2Gl

And this to train with:

CAT - Combat Application Tourniquet Trainer, Blue https://a.co/d/4E0Jykx

Now I want to do some real-world training, not just get an online certificate. And with young children (twins going on 8 years old) I want to make sure I get tourniquets suitable for them.

And I wouldn’t be opposed to adding a second ankle rig to carry everything if necessary. Your suggestions are welcomed here. I’m new to this and want to do it right.

Last edited:

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    For my vehicles I bought 3 FAKs in plastic cases from Walmart. I then bought 10 chest seals, Israeli bandages and tourniquets on line and remade the bought FAKs into what I wanted. Had enough left over to make a IFAK for my bug out bag/ camping backpack. I also ended up with a half dozen FAKs from my work trucks as they insist on replacing them in each vehicle as the ointments and creams pass the expiration dates. I have also picked up several bottles of factory sealed saline from the eyewash locations as they expire annually. I could almost start a resale outlet on the saline. Seven office locations with 2 bottles each replaced yearly.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Look on line for a Stop the Bleed course near you. They are usually free and administered by local Fire, First Aid and Emergency room staff.

The most important thing I learned is to use plain fan fold gause, for packing wounds. If you yse Quik Clot products the wound will have to be debreeded prior to closure.

Top Bottom