Life saving First Aid in a mass casualty situation.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I’m very late to this party but better late than never so that’s why I’m resurrecting this thread. I’d been looking at trauma kits for a year or so, mostly from watching Active Self Protection episodes.

I went to NRAAM here in Indy this past April and bought a trauma kit off the show floor from Mountain Man Medical without knowing anything about what they include or how to use whatever is in there: https://www.mountainmanmedical.com/product/the-wind-river-trauma-and-first-aid-kit/

I took their online course here so I’d have some idea what in hell to do with all that stuff: https://www.mountainmanmedical.com/product/emergency-trauma-response-training-course/

Now I realize this kit is overkill for anything but staging at home or in a vehicle so it’s been earmarked for just that with emphasis on motorcycle carry with relocation between the daily driver and at home otherwise.

I’ve come to realize buying a prepackaged IFAK is the easy way but not necessarily the best way. I somehow (hopefully) have managed to navigate the Amazonian maze of crap vs. legit good deals and stumbled upon North American Rescue as a trustworthy source for this stuff.

Here’s what I just ordered for an ankle kit:

Galco ATM-Kit (Ankle Trauma Medical Kit) Five Neoprene Pockets 16" Blk https://a.co/d/c0GKYEx

With this to fill it up:

MediTac Intermediate Premium Bleeding Control Pack Feat. C.A.T. Tourniquet, Israeli Bandage, NAR Compressed Gauze Dressing and Hyfin Chest Seals https://a.co/d/4V2a2Gl

And this to train with:

CAT - Combat Application Tourniquet Trainer, Blue https://a.co/d/4E0Jykx

Now I want to do some real-world training, not just get an online certificate. And with young children (twins going on 8 years old) I want to make sure I get tourniquets suitable for them.

And I wouldn’t be opposed to adding a second ankle rig to carry everything if necessary. Your suggestions are welcomed here. I’m new to this and want to do it right.
    Getting trainer CAT tourniquet is great. You can practice on yourself.
    Applying it while laying down, sitting, with one hand on either arms, on both legs, in the dark etc ...
    You can use a cheap pulse oxymeter on your big toe, or your index finger, to see if the tourniquet is tight enough.

For small kids the SWAT T might be a good option (big rubber band).
    I keep both a CAT and a SWAT T in my EDC bag.

I carried a trauma kit on my ankle for a couple of years, tried several options.
    I stopped carrying (on my ankle, now it's attached to a bag, with a second trauma kit inside), I don't think you could carry 2 ankles kit for more than a few weeks.

You can't have "everything" in a small compact kit.
    Even if you're a medic carrying a huge trauma bag you will always find out that you don't have everything you need.

I would focus on essential gear and training.

When I dont have room for any medical gear (in shorts, no bag etc) I still have a pair of gloves with me.
    It takes zero pocket space and can be used for so many things.

Taking a general first aid and CPR class might be a good idea.
    Not all first aid is about bleeding.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Getting trainer CAT tourniquet is great. You can practice on yourself.
    Applying it while laying down, sitting, with one hand on either arms, on both legs, in the dark etc ...
    You can use a cheap pulse oxymeter on your big toe, or your index finger, to see if the tourniquet is tight enough.

For small kids the SWAT T might be a good option (big rubber band).
    I keep both a CAT and a SWAT T in my EDC bag.

I carried a trauma kit on my ankle for a couple of years, tried several options.
    I stopped carrying (on my ankle, now it's attached to a bag, with a second trauma kit inside), I don't think you could carry 2 ankles kit for more than a few weeks.

You can't have "everything" in a small compact kit.
    Even if you're a medic carrying a huge trauma bag you will always find out that you don't have everything you need.

I would focus on essential gear and training.

When I dont have room for any medical gear (in shorts, no bag etc) I still have a pair of gloves with me.
    It takes zero pocket space and can be used for so many things.

Taking a general first aid and CPR class might be a good idea.
    Not all first aid is about bleeding.
    something is better than nothing. I carry a couple extra USMC TK-4s in my bag They are cheap (under $10) and VERY compact.

I have a CAT in each med kit, but in the event of a mass casualty, I have the TKs for patients 2 and 3.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    something is better than nothing. I carry a couple extra USMC TK-4s in my bag They are cheap (under $10) and VERY compact.

I have a CAT in each med kit, but in the event of a mass casualty, I have the TKs for patients 2 and 3.

Having multiple tourniquets around is always nice.
    You might never need one but the day you need one you might actually need 2, or 3 or more.
    It doesn't have to be for a mass casualty event either.
    You might need 4 tourniquets for a single patient.
    Like a large dude hit by a car, compound fracture on each leg ... 2 tourniquet per leg if one is not enough.

With 2 CATs you can also improvise a pelvis sling etc.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    It’s a bit bulky, but I managed to make all of this fit in the Galco ankle kit:

1. CAT tourniquet
    2. SWAT-T tourniquet
    3. EMT Shears
    4. Compressed gauze (2)
    5. Gloves (2 pair)
    6. Antiseptic wipe towelette (3)
    7. Small Sharpie

I wanted to put an Israeli bandage in there but it’s too bulky. Same way for the chest seals I currently have. I’m going to look at compact chest seals and a smaller Israeli bandage.

My thinking right now is I can use the SWAT-T to hold the compressed gauze in place (or as a secondary tourniquet).

Even with all the bulk, it’s not a hindrance to wear around, at least not yet. Opinions?

Attachments

• IMG_1323.jpeg
      IMG_1323.jpeg
      618.8 KB · Views: 6
    • IMG_1324.jpeg
      IMG_1324.jpeg
      509.6 KB · Views: 6
    Last edited:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    It’s a bit bulky, but I managed to make all of this fit in the Galco ankle kit:

1. CAT tourniquet
    2. SWAT-T tourniquet
    3. EMT Shears
    4. Compressed gauze (2)
    5. Gloves (2 pair)
    6. Antiseptic wipe towelette (3)
    7. Small Sharpie

I wanted to put an Israeli bandage in there but it’s too bulky. Same way for the chest seals I currently have. I’m going to look at compact chest seals and a smaller Israeli bandage.

My thinking right now is I can use the SWAT-T to hold the compressed gauze in place (or as a secondary tourniquet).

Even with all the bulk, it’s not a hindrance to wear around, at least not yet. Opinions?

That's a great trauma kit.
    That CAT is even properly staged with the velcro strip not blocking the windlass.
    It's probably more versatile to have a SWAT-T and some gauze instead of Israeli bandage.
    It gives you more options.

I would ditch the towelette since it's something you would only use for minor scraps and cuts, and not for massive bleeding trauma stuff.

Instead you could add some flat folded duct tape.
    With that and all the plastic wrappings (like the ziploc bag from the gloves) you already have you could make a few improvised chest seals.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    florez30
    Top Bottom