Life saving First Aid in a mass casualty situation.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Well, if you use them, Dark Angel replaces what you use. So, that would make the price higher.

That's a cool feature.I haven't seen any other company offer that with first aid kits.
    I know some body armor companies offer that.If your vest saves your life they get you a new one.

It has to be used to save someone's life though, they won't replace bandaids and stuff.But I guess most of their kits are mostly trauma stuff.

Still paying $170 for a little cube of silicone is crazy ...

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    [video=youtube_share;kqc59jZzj64]https://youtu.be/kqc59jZzj64[/video]

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Another reminder to keep first aid gear on your person.

[video=youtube;mbGrX9KigtA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbGrX9KigtA&t=0s[/video]

I'm glad MAC is ok.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Another reminder to keep first aid gear on your person.

Indeed. People ridicule rhino for carrying so much gear . . . until they need something right away.

Twice in my life I've needed an IBD for a wound I sustained. Once it was in my truck and unavailable to me. The second time, it was with me. It's always on my person unless I'm in the shower.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Indeed. People ridicule rhino for carrying so much gear . . . until they need something right away.

Twice in my life I've needed an IBD for a wound I sustained. Once it was in my truck and unavailable to me. The second time, it was with me. It's always on my person unless I'm in the shower.

Hopefully you don't play with knives in the shower!

I don't have my trauma kit on me when I'm at home, but if use power tools or other potential dangerous things then it's close by.
    And always with me when I leave the house.

Most folks make fun of you when you carry "too much crap" but they awlways need a battery, a bandaid, a screwdriver, a knife etc.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI

Twice in my life I've needed an IBD for a wound I self inflicted. Once it was in my truck and unavailable to me. The second time, it was with me. It's always on my person unless I'm in the shower.

FTFY

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Thanks for posting the video Sylvain. I followed the breadcrumbs to the Warrior Poet page and bought the ankle wrap minus the contents (most of which I already have). I've been comparing the ankle pouches for a while and this looks like one of the more comfortable and versatile versions I've seen.

For anyone looking for a direct link to the fully assembled kit. - https://warriorpoetsupplyco.com/edc-ankle-medical-kit-medical-components-pack/

I agree.
    I looked at it, compared it to my own mostly custom one, plus a few models already on the market ... this one looks like one of the best.

I like the two little internal pockets to carry little items.

Too bad international shipping is like $60 for the holster alone.

Let us know what you think of it when you get it and what can fit in it. :yesway:

[video=youtube;Y_O7sgB8WEY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_O7sgB8WEY[/video]

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I'll certainly give an update after wearing it for a few weeks. I don't plan to keep it as well stocked as John does. I want to keep it to the absolute basics and as low profile as possible. Probably just some gauze, chest seals, Israeli bandage, TQ, shears, gloves, tape.

It certainly isn't the cheapest model out there, but I also like the option of those hidden pockets, and it's made in the USA, not China.

I did call out some folks in the comments of the video complaining about the price (under $130 US) for the full kit. It's crazy how some people will spend upwards of $1-2000 for an EDC, night sights, holster, spare mags, ammo, etc., But balk at spending a little more than $100 on something that can literally save their own life, or the life of a family member.

Gotta get priorities in order.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I for one always look for the best price for the best product. I do think that some of the sites charge too much for comparable products.

I don't think I would call them out on their own site, but I will post my best finds here.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I'll certainly give an update after wearing it for a few weeks. I don't plan to keep it as well stocked as John does. I want to keep it to the absolute basics and as low profile as possible. Probably just some gauze, chest seals, Israeli bandage, TQ, shears, gloves, tape.

It certainly isn't the cheapest model out there, but I also like the option of those hidden pockets, and it's made in the USA, not China.

I did call out some folks in the comments of the video complaining about the price (under $130 US) for the full kit. It's crazy how some people will spend upwards of $1-2000 for an EDC, night sights, holster, spare mags, ammo, etc., But balk at spending a little more than $100 on something that can literally save their own life, or the life of a family member.

130 for the full kit is not that bad.Some anke kits without any gear are close to that price.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm considering upgrading my daily carry and kits with the newest generation of the Israeli bandage. Like some of the newer competitors, it now includes some folded gauze for packing as well as a detachable secondary dressing that can be used if you have multiple holes to cover (like an entry and exit). The basics are a known quantity that I know how to use well and it would allow me to carry less gauze separate from the IBD.

I think I may add a few larger gauze squares to my pocket for small stuff that bleeds a lot. A 4x4 or something a little bigger can be very handy for applying quick pressure to a small wound that bleeds a lot, but does not warrant an IDB. A little co-ban or Gorilla Tape to secure it and add a little pressure . . . voila!

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I came across this article regarding the "correct use of a CAT tourniquet" ... :ugh:

https://www.wikihow.com/Correctly-Use-a-CAT-Tourniquet

This is why people should get a class with a competent instructor and not just read stuff online where anyone can write articles on anything.

Wash your hands thoroughly with antibacterial soap and clean water. This will prevent the transmission of harmful microorganisms into the wound

If you have time to go wash your hands you don't need to apply a tourniquet ...

Open the sterile dressing package. Do this by holding the upper two edges of the package and pulling it sideways to easily open it.
    • Do not touch its content as this can make it unsterile.

No tourniquet comes in a sterile package ... so you can open it but not touch it??? :dunno:

I've seen a few folks who keep their CAT wrapped in plastic because they think it's sterile and needs to stay that way.

Explain the procedure to the injured person. Speak clearly to them and be honest by explaining the procedure will be quite painful. This will prepare them, and let them know what to expect. It will also establish trust and cooperation

Apparently you have time to chat with your patient for a few minutes while they are rapidly bleeding out.

Put the sterile gloves on. Doing this will prevent the transmission of harmful microorganisms by creating a physical barrier between your hands and the surface or any fluids it comes in contact with

Most folks don't have sterile gloves in their kits.Unless you have a delivery kit.

Prepare to use a CAT if the wound is still bleeding. Keep in mind the use of a CAT should only be used as a last resort because it is a painful and prolonged application that can result in nerve damage.

:facepalm:

Loosen the tourniquet once EMS arrives at the scene or if the person indicates they are in severe pain. If the injured person cannot take it anymore and is screaming in pain, this may be a sign of compartment syndrome, where increased pressure builds up in the person’s muscles

WTF

Always remove the tourniquet if it has been on the wound for more than two hours. Prolonged use of a CAT can lead to nerve damage

So always kill your patient after two hours regarless if you reached the nearest hospital or not ... :n00b:

I'm thinking about applying a tourniquet around my neck after reading this article!

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

Have you been wearing it? :dunno:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Have you been wearing it? :dunno:

Not as much as I should be. I probably wear the ankle kit about 25% of the time. I try to put it on on the weekends, but haven't been wearing it to work.

It's comfortable and very well made. I will say that. I've also made a few different adjustments to the contents to try and keep the profile slimmer. For instance, I ditched the trauma sheers. The pair I had were just too big. But I think I like the current set-up I have now.

I'll try and get some pics tonight.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Not as much as I should be. I probably wear the ankle kit about 25% of the time. I try to put it on on the weekends, but haven't been wearing it to work.

It's comfortable and very well made. I will say that. I've also made a few different adjustments to the contents to try and keep the profile slimmer. For instance, I ditched the trauma sheers. The pair I had were just too big. But I think I like the current set-up I have now.

Thanks. :yesway:

I've been wearing mine for almost 2 years now I think.I can't go out without it.
    I had to make several changes, added velcro straps and such, until it was confortable enough to carry.

rimg.php

They make 5" trauma shears, a bit more compact than the usual full size 7" one.

milspec_minishears_image2__27613.1559489951.jpg

It's an important item to have IMO.
    Not only can you cut clothes to access wounds, cut seatbelts etc ... you can also cut clothes, towels, tablecloth, curtains etc; to make bandages or slings.

You can even use it as a windlass to improvise a secondary tourniquet and much more.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth

Mine is about as minimal as I'm comfortable going with right now.

IEiYMb7g.jpg

YcliZQUg.jpg

This is pretty much how I have it positioned when I wear it on my left ankle. I've found having the CAT tourniquet on the contour of my inner calf tends to cut down on the printing.

RR6GhUj

RR6GhUj

RR6GhUj

RR6GhUj

RR6GhUj
    RR6GhUj.jpg

I like the mesh backing as it does help with air flow when wrapped tight against my leg. I haven't really found myself sweating while wearing it.

cXh9WUM.jpg

I also like that each end has a little velcro pouch to keep something like a few flat bandages, or even a little extra cash.

Lk6f0IH.jpg

With contents out (left to right):

- 1 packet of compressed gauze. (I would prefer two of these if I had more space)
    - Small sandwich baggie with band-aids of various sizes and super hero designs (This is essentially a boo boo kit for my small kids who do scrape their knees and elbows pretty frequently)
    - 4 inch Israeli bandage
    - My ghetto chest seals. (Duct tape wrapped around an old gift card & square plastic panels that came from a 1 gallon food storage bag I cut up)
    - 2 pairs nitrile gloves
    - A packet of Bleed Stop powder that I probably don't need, but takes up very little space when wrapped around the gloves
    - CAT tourniquet

I would like to add a small pair of trauma sheers back in, but for now, I've taken sheers out.

Top Bottom