Life saving First Aid in a mass casualty situation.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I just got an ankle kit from Dark Angel medical, and later I'll get a bigger kit for my vehicle, in case of mass casualty event.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Yes. It is bulky. It is not designed to conceal.
    I am looking at modifying this ankle holster.

https://www.amazon.com/Yosoo-Holste...520025656&sr=8-1&keywords=ankle+holster+yosoo

618e5Qy7jrL._SL1001_.jpg

This is very comfortable, Has an over the calf strap but only has 2 pockets.

I've got a very cheap model with 3 pockets.

Without any modification yet I can already store most of the stuff I want to carry.

2r7n2wo.jpg

Like on the model you showed the middle "pocket" is V shaped and open at the bottom.I need to turn it into a real pocket.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I modified the holster a bit.

I made the middle pocket a bit wider by removing some stiching, I added a velcro tab at the bottom of that same pocket and a loop to easily unfasten the top tab with one finger (maybe a red color would have been better instead of black on black?).

33wlbfp.jpg

Content:

- SWAT-T Tourniquet
    - 7" trauma shears
    - roll of gauze
    - 4" by 4" gause pads
    - ziploc bag + several feet of duct tape folded flat (improvised chest seals).
    - Sharpie
    - 4 gloves

295etep.jpg

260pzj6.jpg

I don't think I can add much more things without making the holster too noticeable.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I just got an ankle kit from Dark Angel medical, and later I'll get a bigger kit for my vehicle, in case of mass casualty event.

Well, I like the ankle kit, but boy was it fun putting everything in the pouches.

They have a .50 cal ammo can trauma kit
    Ammo C.A.N. Trauma Kit - Dark Angel Medical

I'm looking at that.
    I have a first aid kit for the car, but it's just the standard cheap first aid kit, not a "trauma kit".
    But, the Dark Angel kit has a removable liner that fits in the ammo can (you provide the ammo can). I can't see why I'd need that.
    So I think I might just paint an ammo can bright red or orange, slap red cross stickers on it, and then just order individual items.
    I would be looking at something for multiple occupant car accidents, or shootings.
    Since it's in the car, I don't have to worry about weight.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Well, I like the ankle kit, but boy was it fun putting everything in the pouches.

They have a .50 cal ammo can trauma kit
    Ammo C.A.N. Trauma Kit - Dark Angel Medical

I'm looking at that.
    I have a first aid kit for the car, but it's just the standard cheap first aid kit, not a "trauma kit".
    But, the Dark Angel kit has a removable liner that fits in the ammo can (you provide the ammo can). I can't see why I'd need that.
    So I think I might just paint an ammo can bright red or orange, slap red cross stickers on it, and then just order individual items.
    I would be looking at something for multiple occupant car accidents, or shootings.
    Since it's in the car, I don't have to worry about weight.

Have you carried/wore your ankle kit yet?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Have you carried/wore your ankle kit yet?

I just got around to putting all the components in the ankle holster. Holy crap was it tight.
    I should be putting it on tomorrow morning.
    I did put it on after packing it. Seems like it'll be okay. I'm sure it'll take a while to get used to it.
    I did try out the tourniquet. Seems nice and simple. I think I'll buy their "blue" version, which is a training one. It's the same, just blue so you don't wear out the one you are depending on.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I just got around to putting all the components in the ankle holster. Holy crap was it tight.
    I did put it on after packing it. Seems like it'll be okay. I'm sure it'll take a while to get used to it.
    I did try out the tourniquet. Seems nice and simple. I think I'll buy their "blue" version, which is a training one. It's the same, just blue so you don't wear out the one you are depending on.

What's in the kit?
    Is that the CAT or SOFT? I think they sell it with either one.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Did you buy their complete kit, or just the ankle pouch? No slight on Sylvian, but the SWAT-T TQ is frowned upon by MANY in the TCCC community. I’m not a doctor, nor EMT, Paramedic, etc., so I will stick with the CAT, SOFT-W, and for the children, the RATS. I only use the RATS, as it was recommended by a former 18D for the smaller folks among us.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Did you buy their complete kit, or just the ankle pouch? No slight on Sylvian, but the SWAT-T TQ is frowned upon by MANY in the TCCC community. I’m not a doctor, nor EMT, Paramedic, etc., so I will stick with the CAT, SOFT-W, and for the children, the RATS. I only use the RATS, as it was recommended by a former 18D for the smaller folks among us.

I bought the "stocked" ankle kit.
    The Ankle Kit - Trauma Kit / Individual First Aid Kit (IFAK)

The “stocked” version contains the following:

1 package of Hemostatic Gauze: (QuikClot Bleeding Control Dressing or ChitoGauze XR Pro)
    1 Pair of Nitrile Gloves
    1 H&H Mini Compression Bandage
    1 Pair of Hyfin Vent Compact Chest Seals
    1 Tourniquet (CAT Gen 7, Black is standard with option to substitute SOFTT-W, Black at no additional cost)

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

I have a SOFT T but it's the older style with the screw so it's too bulky for me to carry in the ankle kit.I leave it in the car kit.

41kkRqGkUPL.jpg

I ordered it by accident when I thought I was ordering the newest more compact version (pic bellow).

sofgen3w_ml.jpg

I like the SWAT because it's very compact and it's both a tourniquet and a pressure dressing.
    I can't carry both an SOFT T and a 4" israeli bandage in my ankle kit.But I can have the SWAT and some flat gauze.
    With enough training you can apply it to yourself one-handed.
    The SWAT is 4" wide so less pressure is needed to stop the blood flow.
    It's also less painful compared to the 1" strap of the SOFT T that digs into your skin (it's why the newer version is now wider).
    The SWAT feels more like a blood pressure cuff.

I have no experience with the CAT as they are hard to find around here (not military issued and not used by EMS).

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I have a SOFT T but it's the older style with the screw so it's too bulky for me to carry in the ankle kit.I leave it in the car kit.

41kkRqGkUPL.jpg

I ordered it by accident when I thought I was ordering the newest more compact version (pic bellow).

sofgen3w_ml.jpg

I like the SWAT because it's very compact and it's both a tourniquet and a pressure dressing.
    I can't carry both an SOFT T and a 4" israeli bandage in my ankle kit.But I can have the SWAT and some flat gauze.
    With enough training you can apply it to yourself one-handed.
    The SWAT is 4" wide so less pressure is needed to stop the blood flow.
    It's also less painful compared to the 1" strap of the SOFT T that digs into your skin (it's why the newer version is now wider).
    The SWAT feels more like a blood pressure cuff.

I have no experience with the CAT as they are hard to find around here (not military issued and not used by EMS).

SWAT sucks and flat doesn't work, there is a even newer SOFT-T-W out, a Gen III if you will.

Attachments

• IMG_20180319_201759499.jpg
      IMG_20180319_201759499.jpg
      1.1 MB · Views: 1
    Last edited:

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I thought the newer version was the one I showed on the second pic.Is that not the latest version?

No Sir., that would be the Gen I and Gen II, here is a picture of a Gen III, they have not been out very long.

This is how it comes out of the package, it does flat fold pretty well for carry.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I would take a real tourniquet over any pressure dressing if I could only carry one, a CAT or SOFT-T-W will flat fold enough for ankle or belt carry. Lots of flat fold YouTube videos out there.

I would take a RATS over a SWAT as I can do more with it as well as use it on my dog, children, or cows. It will buy me time to get to my kit.

Lube that SWAT up real good with some ketchup and smear it on your hands then try to apply, I have, entire classes have, it's a no go.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    No Sir., that would be the Gen I and Gen II, here is a picture of a Gen III, they have not been out very long.

This is how it comes out of the package, it does flat fold pretty well for carry.

What's the difference between this one and the version II then?

They look the same to me.

I know between the I and II they made the strap wider and removed one of the two triangular buckles, also removed the screw thingy.And added the quick detach feature.

Top Bottom