Life saving First Aid in a mass casualty situation.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Don't forget that you can use the wrappers of an IBD, some tape, and your knife or scissors to make spiffy, valved chest seals if you have a sucking chest wound.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Bumping this thread.

I have first aid kits (no blood clotting stuff, just basic stuff you find in the store) in my backpack, bathroom, garage, SUV, and at work.
    But now I'm interested in getting a tourniquet, and carrying it.

In addition, I wouldn't mind carrying some "trauma" stuff, cause I might not have the time to get one of my kits.
    But, it's easy to make it so big, that I won't carry it.

Presently, my belt is pretty full. S&W M&P, spare mag, cell phone, flashlight, and multi-tool.
    So... I'm either going to have to put it on the ankle, or kick the cell phone off.

I've been eyeballing this
    D.A.R.K. Slim Trauma Kit - Dark Angel Medical
    D.A.R.K. Slim Trauma Kit (civilian version)
    DARK_Slim_blue1__75862.1488469858.jpg

Kit Contents:

• 1 x HALO Seal 1 x Hemostatic Gauze (QuikClot Bleeding Control Dressing in Civ kits, Combat Gauze LE in LE/FR kits, Combat Gauze MIL in Mil kits, ChitoGauze also)
    • 1 x NPA (No NPA in Civilian Basic kit)
    • 1 x Emergency Bandage
    • 1 x NAR Compressed Gauze
    • 1 x Pair Nitrile Gloves
    • 1 x Mylar Blanket
    • 1 x Polycarbonate Eye Shield
    • 1 x Ten Tac Med Tips Assessment Card

The kit features a side mounted TQ pouch on the right side that will accommodate either the CAT (standard offering) or SOFTT-W (substitution), trauma shear retention strap and PALS channel on the left side, a 2”x3” loop patch on the front of the pouch for medical identifiers, personal identifiers, etc. and a new attachment system that eliminates snaps. The webbing is woven through the channels on web gear and “tucked” back under and tension holds the kit in place. The pouch has horizontal loops built in on the back for belt mounting horizontally and the vertical straps can be woven and tucked into the webbing to create vertical belt loops. The pouch is 500D nylon made in the USA.

Looks pretty good (to me), but worried it'll be too big for ankle.
    So.. like I said, either kick the cell phone off the belt, or skip it and just get the CAT-T for the ankle.
    It says 8”H x 3”W x 2” D.
    But, I'd need to measure that out in cardboard to visualize the size better.

I'm interested in what others are carrying, that are similar.
    If any of you have this.

That kit seems pretty large to carry on your angle, and even on your bet as part of your EDC.
    It seems it's designed to fit on a plate carried, probably tall like a double AR mag pouch.

I wouldn't carry an entire trauma kit, only a tourniquet and keep trauma stuff in your bag close by.
    It's what I do.
    I only carry a SWAT-T (very compact) and a pair of nitrile gloves.
    All the other stuff (tourniquet, EMT, shears, israeli bandage, emergency blankets etc) I keep in my EDC bag with an even larger trauma kit in the car.

A tourniquet is the hardest thing to improvise so I carry a commercial made one.
    All the rest you can improvise using your clothes.
    Like using the victim's socks for wound packing etc.
    Things like a blanket you don't need to have on you all the time.You will have time to get it from another kit that you keep somewhere else.
    Same for the chest seals, it's not something you need right away (compared to a tourniquet).

That's a pic just to show the size of the SWAT-T.It's the size of a pack of tissues.
    It can be used both as a pressure bandage or a tourniquet.

EDC-1.jpg

I wouldn't ditch your phone in order to carry the tourniquet.
    If you need a tourniquet you will most likely also need to call 911.

Many EMS services don't use blood clotting agents.It's expensive and they have a short shelf life.
    Surgeons also don't like them.
    Regular gauze with a pressure dressing will stop the bleeding just fine.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Don't forget that you can use the wrappers of an IBD, some tape, and your knife or scissors to make spiffy, valved chest seals if you have a sucking chest wound.

Since IBDs are double wrapped you can open the first wrapper already to save time and cut it in half to make two seals, add some flat rolled duct tape and your IBD is still wrapped in the clear wrapper.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    My opinion and nothing more, but I would like for Cavmedic BOR or another professional to chime in to confirm or deny.

The SOF T is very well made, easy to apply and has a metal windlass. My preferance.

The CA T is has a plastic windlass which has been problematic in the past.

The SWA T Is a big rubberband and I am not cunvinced that it would be completely effective on a really bad femoral artery bleed.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    My opinion and nothing more, but I would like for Cavmedic BOR or another professional to chime in to confirm or deny.

The SOF T is very well made, easy to apply and has a metal windlass. My preferance.

The SWA T Is a big rubberband and I am not cunvinced that it would be completely effective on a really bad femoral artery bleed.

I think I heard CAT-T version 7 is plastic with an inner metal core. But I could be wrong.
    I think I lean towards the CAT-T version.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    That kit seems pretty large to carry on your angle, and even on your bet as part of your EDC.
    It seems it's designed to fit on a plate carried, probably tall like a double AR mag pouch.

I wouldn't carry an entire trauma kit, only a tourniquet and keep trauma stuff in your bag close by.
    It's what I do.
    All the other stuff (tourniquet, EMT, shears, israeli bandage, emergency blankets etc) I keep in my EDC bag with an even larger trauma kit in the car.

A tourniquet is the hardest thing to improvise so I carry a commercial made one.
    Things like a blanket you don't need to have on you all the time.You will have time to get it from another kit that you keep somewhere else.
    Same for the chest seals, it's not something you need right away (compared to a tourniquet).

That's a pic just to show the size of the SWAT-T.It's the size of a pack of tissues.

EDC-1.jpg

Many EMS services don't use blood clotting agents.It's expensive and they have a short shelf life.

Didn't say I'd ditch the phone, just maybe move it.
    I kinda like the ankle pouch Blue Falcon has. And then I may just add to it. CAT-T and a few other things.
    Still debating though.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

I used both the SOFT and SWAT T during training, with the absence of pulse measured on the big toe with a pulse oxymeter.
    They are both effective.
    The SWAT T is even less painful to apply to yourself, it doesn't pinch the skin like the SOFT does and the pressure is applied to a wider area (4" wide) so it doesn't take as much force to stop the blood flow.

I have been carrying and practicing applying the SWAT T for a few years so I have more experience with it than the SOFT.
    Also I found out that I can stop the blood flow faster with the SWAT T than I can with the SOFT.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Just talked to a trauma surgeon friend of mine over the holidays. His ER carries Qwik Clot Combat Gauze(the real Combat Gauze in green packages) and the CAT tourniquet. This is an Indianapolis area hospital, so I found it strange they actually had the .mil Qwik Clot rather than the LE packaging, but he swears by the CAT tourney.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Just talked to a trauma surgeon friend of mine over the holidays. His ER carries Qwik Clot Combat Gauze(the real Combat Gauze in green packages) and the CAT tourniquet. This is an Indianapolis area hospital, so I found it strange they actually had the .mil Qwik Clot rather than the LE packaging, but he swears by the CAT tourney.

Aren't they both the exact same product?

The combat gauze used to have a an Xray detectable strip and the LE didn't, now they both have I think.
    They both offer the same lenght of guaze (3inch by 4 yards).
    So I really don't know what the difference.
    They offer an EMS version as well.

qc-ems-rolled-gauze_2.png

Looks to be the same thing, just rolled instead of Z foled and with no Xray strip.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

That's a key point to make, and one that Doc Gunn makes in his Tactical Treatment of Gunshot Wounds class. The hemostatic agents only work on serious wounds when you also apply direct pressure. Applying direct pressure works without the hemostatic agent because it's the pressure that really does the job. So why waste the time?

I don't think anything is lost using the sponges and gauze with hemostatics in them, but I'm not worried about not having them.

Since IBDs are double wrapped you can open the first wrapper already to save time and cut it in half to make two seals, add some flat rolled duct tape and your IBD is still wrapped in the clear wrapper.

Excellent point! I hadn't considered getting it setup ahead of time.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I think I heard CAT-T version 7 is plastic with an inner metal core. But I could be wrong.
    I think I lean towards the CAT-T version.

Why?

Using the SOFTT-W is really simple and really easy, even on yourself. I don't want to rely on velcro, especially when blood is going to be everywhere.

Have you tried them both?

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I have both and the soft seens much easier to use. I watched a video of a guy saying that you needed to stipple the windlas on the cat so it wouldn't be slippery when all bloody.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.

He swears by the CAT as that is what Indy EMS uses, they use them because they are cheap.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.

It's what I do.

EDC-1.jpg

You say surgeons don't like them yet they are used in the OR by surgeons...

You are kidding yourself if you think that SWAT-T will do anything more then a pressure dressing at best.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    He swears by the CAT as that is what Indy EMS uses, they use them because they are cheap.
    I have and carry both the SOFTT-W and the CAT. I personally find the CAT easier to use as self aid, and as far as cost, the CAT is more expensive than the SOFTT-W where I buy them. I’ve been doing a lot of research lately, that is pushing me toward standardizing my med kit carry on the SOFTT-W. I was trained on the CAT, and know and use it best, but research is pointing toward the SOFTT-W being a better mousetrap?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    At Rescue Essentials The Gen 4 SOFTT-W is 49 cents cheaper than the CAT T Gen 7.

https://www.rescue-essentials.com/tourniquets-holders/

If you have a source cheaper than RE I would love to have it.

Thanks for the link. I'm so amazon prime-centric now that I usually don't look anywhere else. The prices on the SOFTT-W and IBDs are better than amazon by a significant amount.

Holy Moley! I just realized that SOFTT-W tourniquets and IBDs would make great Christmas gifts along with a little coaching on how to use them, when to use them, and when not to use them.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Thanks for the link. I'm so amazon prime-centric now that I usually don't look anywhere else. The prices on the SOFTT-W and IBDs are better than amazon by a significant amount.

Holy Moley! I just realized that SOFTT-W tourniquets and IBDs would make great Christmas gifts along with a little coaching on how to use them, when to use them, and when not to use them.

Amazon has had a problem with fakes.

Top Bottom