• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Honey Creek Tackle had 9mm for sale Thursday for $10 a box.

Honey Creek Tackle also has some outstanding fishing gear, and I go there more for that purpose than for gun stuff. They tend to have the high end stuff though (for tackle).

They expanded the gun shop area a while back, and I've walked through a few times but never really shopped them much on gun stuff.

Tankerdave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2014
    N E Indiana
    I'm in Huntington and Walmart has the Federal aluminium 200 round pack for 33.67, have not tried to buy 5 but get 1 here and there and they run fine in all my guns.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Cabela’a has Sig Elite 9mm on sale for $11.69/50. You’d have to call or go up there but if they enough the ammo itself would be $233. I can’t order the Sig stuff that cheap online through TargetSportJSA even with the prime membership.

Dont forget about taxes as well when purchasing large amounts in store. It really screws an OK deal.

So don’t take this wrong, but centerfire ammo can have similar quality issues that rimfire ammo does. Some ammo will bang and not be accurate. Some ammo will be more accurate for some guns. It is not all made equal. Generally if you are willing to spend more than you get better quality ammo.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'm glad you knew I was joking. I forgot to add the :rockwoot::)::laugh:

1. Even if you weren't, it was funny! :thumbsup:
    2. But, since I know your moniker, if you were taking a shot, I would have enjoyed, it. I do sometimes get tired of someone who doesn't know me scolding me over something that is obvious, but....................

Cabela’a has Sig Elite 9mm on sale for $11.69/50. You’d have to call or go up there but if they enough the ammo itself would be $233. I can’t order the Sig stuff that cheap online through TargetSportJSA even with the prime membership.

3. Good to know: thanks, my friend. :thumbsup:
    4. Personal note: I'm buying an older 5.5 Buckmark today and will be pitting it against your Mark 4 and my deadly Beretta Neos. :ar15:

Dont forget about taxes as well when purchasing large amounts in store. It really screws an OK deal.

5. Forget about taxes? I go way beyond that point when considering purchases. :laugh:

So don’t take this wrong, but centerfire ammo can have similar quality issues that rimfire ammo does. Some ammo will bang and not be accurate. Some ammo will be more accurate for some guns. It is not all made equal. Generally if you are willing to spend more than you get better quality ammo.

6. I'm getting some better ammo that I'll be testing my CZ with .

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    My problem is solved!
    I am buying 2 cases of ammo off a member here: good stuff: CCI Blazer Brass (115 gr), RWS Sportline (124 grain) and some CCI Blazer Brass (124 grain).
    I am paying him $200 a case since he is a member. :)
    Last summer I bought 2 cases from someone at $200, and ordered some at that price.
    I'm also buying a Browning Buckmark of him since it is a 5.5 barrel.
    I would have picked up 5k rounds of CCI, but I have a bunch and he was not selling at "sale" prices, but what I just paid for 5k rounds myself: $300.

This is an example of why I laugh at guys making fun of me for being cheap.
    If I want it, and the value is correct: I'll spend the money.
    I even will buy ammo off a member for "regular" prices if that helps a member, rather than buy the same at store.

I still am thinking about that $950 Shadow 2, if it is still available.
    Cheap: right, that's me. I am poor, so sell to me on discount, please! :rofl:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Buy 6 guns sell 3 or 4, does it still count as 6? :):

I dont buy ammo at gun shops. Even if I like them or they have good deals on guns, unless you're buying it at their cost you are gonna get screwed.
    Online it is very easy to find good ammo deals and it doesnt take long to get depending where you order from.

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers

I dont buy ammo at gun shops. Even if I like them or they have good deals on guns, unless you're buying it at their cost you are gonna get screwed.
    Online it is very easy to find good ammo deals and it doesnt take long to get depending where you order from.

I travel all over Central Indiana for work and I always Google "Gun shop near me" when I pull into a different town or city. I get to meet lots of nice and sometimes interesting people. I rarely see a gun I can't live without but I always buy a box of ammo. I consider it an admission fee of sorts. Will it keep them in business? No. It's just my way of saying thanks for being there.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I travel all over Central Indiana for work and I always Google "Gun shop near me" when I pull into a different town or city. I get to meet lots of nice and sometimes interesting people. I rarely see a gun I can't live without but I always buy a box of ammo. I consider it an admission fee of sorts. Will it keep them in business? No. It's just my way of saying thanks for being there.

I enjoy stopping by the little shops when traveling. I get to see a lot more variation than what the local Indy shops typically carry.

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    I enjoy stopping by the little shops when traveling. I get to see a lot more variation than what the local Indy shops typically carry.

I'm finally to the point where I have enough poly guns and rifles. I go in hoping to find something with an inch of dust on it so I can give it a proper home. Sadly, cases nowadays are full of the same thing in every shop. I always feel bad when they ask if I'm looking for something specific because I won't know until I see it. I politely look at row after row of Glocks and Shields, pick up 50 rounds of whatever and I'm on my way to the next one.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    This is an example of why I laugh at guys making fun of me for being cheap.
    If I want it, and the value is correct: I'll spend the money

Similar in this. The main difference in you and I (from what I can tell), is that I stopped chasing stuff just because it was a deal. I have interest in what I want, do some research, then wait for a good value on it.

I used to chase the deal, and say man I should buy that because it's priced well... Now, I tend to try and know what I want, then find a value on it.

Yep, pretty much my deal. I will frequent the LGS for when they are a good value, either on a firearm, or a service, etc or possibly even an accessory here and there, but I haven't bought ammo in a gun shop in probably almost 30 years. It's generally a universal thing that gun shops just work you over on ammo prices.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

1. Ironic, my wife says the same thing! :dunno:

2. I bought ammo at the range for nearly all last summer, not realizing how badly they charge you.
    3. Once, I needed some .32 to shoot a Beretta I was going to sell and I hadn't shot it much and I wanted to check it.
    4. It was nearly double what I had ordered online that I hadn't got yet.

Last edited:

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    Just strap your gun on and go up the street from us to the Walmart on Washington st. They have $9 for 50 rounds of 9 all the time. Don’t go to the grove they are always out. Don’t leave your hard look at home as you will need it.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    I’ve been buying from Bobcat down in Shelbyville. Prices are decent and it is a local business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Last edited:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Sorry when I say "buy ammo" I'm meaning buy it by the case. When I buy a box or 2 of ammo from a shop yeah that's just me saying thanks, like when I buy a coke and a snack at a gas station because I used their bathroom.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    No mention of Aimsurplus? https://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=ARU9FMJ115&name=Geco+9mm+FMJ+115grn+50rd+Box&groupid=46
    They are in Ohio, usually have ammo within a couple days of ordering, been buying off of them for years, same for SGAMMO.
    Also Aim charges actual shipping.

It does look like once again, Gary's "feel sorry for me" worked, as he got another member to sell him some ammo for what he is willing to pay.
    When I buy ammo, I usually keep it unless I have "done away" with that caliber. There is no such thing as too much ammo.
    I'm sitting on some premium .357sig, just waiting for more of a "sellers market". It's properly stored and not eating anything.

Top Bottom