• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I can't imagine you were comparing apples to apples here....shoot us a PM to discuss specifics if you'd like as 25% is substantial. At any quantity other than a single 50ct, $4/bx is no where near 25%.

If we are out of line, I'd like to see it.

Your prices are in line with other brick and motor stores, just not what I can get it online for.

I just ordered S&B, Speer Lawman, Aguila & Perfecta for $11.95/box, no tax and free shipping. You have a 50ct box listed at $14.99/box plus tax, so $16.03/box. If my math is right that’s a difference of $4.08/box.

My percentage age was off though, 4.08 divided by 11.95 is ~ a 34% increase. Just more than I can justify for range ammo.

This is strictly for the FMJ ammo. He HPs are much closer to what I can order them online for.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    Your prices are in line with other brick and motor stores, just not what I can get it online for.

I just ordered S&B, Speer Lawman, Aguila & Perfecta for $11.95/box, no tax and free shipping. You have a 50ct box listed at $14.99/box plus tax, so $16.03/box. If my math is right that’s a difference of $4.08/box.

My percentage age was off though, 4.08 divided by 11.95 is ~ a 34% increase. Just more than I can justify for range ammo.

This is strictly for the FMJ ammo. He HPs are much closer to what I can order them online for.

You are buying a single 50ct box online at a time?
    Because if you are buying in quantity you should be comparing to our bulk/quantity discounted pricing to get a fair result.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I can't imagine you were comparing apples to apples here....shoot us a PM to discuss specifics if you'd like as 25% is substantial. At any quantity other than a single 50ct, $4/bx is no where near 25%.

If we are out of line, I'd like to see it.

Your website lists 180 grain .40 S&W FMJ-FP for $14.99/50 rounds. If that is your "in store" price, it's not even close to being competitive for basic target ammo.

1000 rounds would be $299.80 + tax = $320.79. Plus my time and gas money.

I can get 1000 rounds of CCI Blazer Brass 180 grain FMJ-FP delivered to my door for $236.80, and I don't even have to put on pants.
    I've used Blazer Brass for years at the range, never a problem. I can buy about 4 boxes of Federal HST premium defensive ammo for the difference in price.

If your bulk prices are cheaper, that would be great, but I've never seen a local retailer beat online retailers on ammo. Never.

:twocents:

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    Your website lists 180 grain .40 S&W FMJ-FP for $14.99/50 rounds. If that is your "in store" price, it's not even close to being competitive for basic target ammo.

1000 rounds would be $299.80 + tax = $320.79. Plus my time and gas money.

I can get 1000 rounds of CCI Blazer Brass 180 grain FMJ-FP delivered to my door for $236.80, and I don't even have to put on pants.
    I've used Blazer Brass for years at the range, never a problem. I can buy about 4 boxes of Federal HST premium defensive ammo for the difference in price.

If your bulk prices are cheaper, that would be great, but I've never seen a local retailer beat online retailers on ammo. Never.

:twocents:

1000ct of the 180gr 40cal is $249.96 on the website.
    You must select the 250ct from the drop down menu and there are quantity discounts for 2(500ct) and 4(1000ct)

We are not a local retailer....we are a local manufacturer, fyi.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    What CameraMonkey said. A few weeks back I did the drive down to Shellbyville in the Mustang. It was a nice drive. I stuck to all back roads just for fun.

After Gen Con I will need to take another drive, I will need more 9mm again. I'm under 500 rounds.
    You plan on using them all up at GenCon?

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    You are buying a single 50ct box online at a time?
    Because if you are buying in quantity you should be comparing to our bulk/quantity discounted pricing to get a fair result.

This last order was multiple brands of two boxes each for testing. Wouldn’t bulk order any brand without a function test.

But for the bulk side, your 250/ct boxes, discounted for buying 4, are 62.49 each. Need 4 to make 1000, so 249.96. Plus tax is 267.46.

I can order a 1000/ct of S&B, Speer, Aguila or Perfecta for 239. Blazer Brass would be 220.

So closer in price, but still looking at 21% more than Blazer and 12% more than the others.

Last edited:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    1000ct of the 180gr 40cal is $249.96 on the website.
    You must select the 250ct from the drop down menu and there are quantity discounts for 2(500ct) and 4(1000ct)

We are not a local retailer....we are a local manufacturer, fyi.

My mistake, sorry about that. That's pretty good pricing for local pick-up, only about $30 more than online for 1000 rounds, with tax.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Probably hand deliver it. :rolleyes: People get lazy and only want to save a buck. I dont mind paying a little more when it helps local small businesses. (Plus I dont have to wait a week for the man in brown to show up. )

Good to see you and the family again today, sir!
    How's that high horse treating you?
    If you could maybe not slam other members because of their buying decisions that would be great.

I'm not a mathematician, but I'll run some basic math by you. If I go to my LGS for a case of 9mm target ammo and its $200 (average price around here) plus tax, that's $214 out the door. A good current price online for same ammo is $180 shipped right now. That's $34 that I save. That's a little bit more than "a buck".

And I'm not saying don't support your local business. I currently have two LGS that get most of my business. I've only bought 3 guns online ever and I've owned my fair share. Most shops don't have very good pricing on ammo, there are exceptions, but not usually around where I'm at. If something is close in price to online, the money will go local whether its guns/ammo/accessories.

Sorry, you're just kinda striking a nerve with your post and I take offense to someone who doesn't know me or my situation calling me lazy.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    Side note on all of this and everyone who thinks there is no tax on internet purchases....and how it specifically pertains to Indiana(not passing judgement here, just information):

Read up on Indiana Use Tax as well as the recent SCOTUS ruling on South Dakota v Wayfair Inc.

South Dakota v Wayfair Inc is going to cause an eventual logistical nightmare for retailers.....

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Read up on Indiana Use Tax as well as the recent SCOTUS ruling on South Dakota v Wayfair Inc.

South Dakota v Wayfair Inc is going to cause an eventual logistical nightmare for retailers.....

Nightmare may be an understatement, but it will level the playing field for local vs internet when it takes effect.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Midwest had Winchester Service Grade 9mm for $8.99 + tax a box this week. Since I was in Mishawaka anyway, I bought 2 cases (that is just 1000 rds.... when did they start making 500 round cases in 9mm).

I've been there a couple of times (was in the area for work, but don't get that way anymore) and wish I was closer to them. They run some decent deals from time to time.

I support my local places all the time. I actualy prefer it. As far as ammo though for me personaly I dont shoot reloads and I am picky about the brands I shoot and trust. I'm not saying bobcat has bad product, I'm just saying I already have a loyalty to another brand. Also, most local shops have huge markups on ammo as well (also not saying bobcat), and yes I do have a limit on how far I'm willing to go to " support the local guy", which is a nice way of saying spread MY wealth around. I have a good friend who buys from bobcat and swears by them, I'm saying that because this has nothing to do with bobcat except for you using them in your assault on other ingo members.
    Also when I'm buying several thousand rounds of heavy ammo at a time, you betcha I'm lazy. Having it delivered to your door is a huge plus especialy for someone who might be disabled and not able to haul ammo.
    I'm not going to call someone else lazy and attack them though because they choose to spend their hard earned money where they see fit and I certainly wont be shamed into spending my money somewhere just because they are friends of someone or an ingo supporter. If I want to support them I will but when someone is shaking a finger at me that's the biggest turn off and pretty much guarantee that a dime of my money will never cross their threshold.
    Once again, nothing against kimball and Bobcat. I like the guy.

I'm just saying if you want to promote a friend or business that you like, shaming your fellow gun owners into feeling bad for not shopping there is gonna hurt your buddy's business more than help it I promise you.

It's like all the people I always see talking about supporting their local shop because they have the lowest transfer fee in town, to do THEIR TRANSFER that they bought from another gun shop. Uhhhhh trust me, your local shop could give a flying **** Less about the $10-$30 you feel you graciously gave them to take the time to sign in and inspect the firearm you bought from a usualy out of state dealer, and then have to call you or take your numerous phone calls asking if your transfer is in, or holding onto it for a week ( in their safe or limited space and take financial liability) or two for you to show up and then do the 4473 on it and watch your money walk out the door.
    Yeah they set their fee but it's really kindof a funny thing I see a lot when you think about it in the way I laid it out. That's not supporting your local shop. Buying a gun from them or asking them to source one for you is. Which I do at my local shops all the time. If as a last resort they cant get what I want then I look online.

I agree with the first part, but I don't agree that transfers don't support the LGS, and yes they do set their prices for it, and the ones that are happy to do it drive business that way, and the ones that don't either price themselves out intentionally or don't provide a good service for transfers. I'm guessing there are some guns that some shops make more on a transfer than they might on a gun.

Side note on all of this and everyone who thinks there is no tax on internet purchases....and how it specifically pertains to Indiana(not passing judgement here, just information):

Agreed, and as you say there is tax on internet purchases, as one is currently supposed to declare it. I try to be careful to say no tax at time of purchase when providing an internet price to someone in a post from a retailer who doesn't charge tax on the transaction. And while it's real money and I factor it in, it isn't "fair" to call out a local retailer on his after tax prices vs an online purchase with no sales tax at time of transaction.

Nightmare may be an understatement, but it will level the playing field for local vs internet when it takes effect.

That it will to some extent.

Where is Honey Creek Tackle?

Contact Us
    2380 N. St Rd. 135
    Bargersville, IN 46106

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I've been there a couple of times (was in the area for work, but don't get that way anymore) and wish I was closer to them. They run some decent deals from time to time.

I agree with the first part, but I don't agree that transfers don't support the LGS, and yes they do set their prices for it, and the ones that are happy to do it drive business that way, and the ones that don't either price themselves out intentionally or don't provide a good service for transfers. I'm guessing there are some guns that some shops make more on a transfer than they might on a gun.

Agreed, and as you say there is tax on internet purchases, as one is currently supposed to declare it. I try to be careful to say no tax at time of purchase when providing an internet price to someone in a post from a retailer who doesn't charge tax on the transaction. And while it's real money and I factor it in, it isn't "fair" to call out a local retailer on his after tax prices vs an online purchase with no sales tax at time of transaction.

That it will to some extent.

Contact Us
    2380 N. St Rd. 135
    Bargersville, IN 46106
    I should have clarified but trying to type out random thoughts i always forget somethjng.
    I agree that money does add up. And yeah the shops that charge the higher transfer fees might get more that way than for a gun and it's still better (maybe) than zero sure.
    What shops make on new and used guns is their business and even if I knew I wouldn't post about it. Its business practices and bad form to discuss in my opinion. But the transfer fees are obvious because people have to pay it. However I would hope a shop is getting more than $10-30 per gun they sell. I truly do.
    Transfers are mostly a courtesy for current customers but smart gun shop owners also use them to get new customers and the hope is to get people into the store and buy something else (like a marked up box of ammo) or holster ect. Or hopefully guns and other accessories especialy. It's a courtesy mostly though and the hope is repeat customers and gaining that loyalty of the customer. In the end thats what it's all about for a successful gun shop.
    That's the way I was meaning it. But yeah if you are banging out tons of transfers sure it's some nice extra cash as long as you have the manpower to handle it along with regular business. Customers inside the shop always get priority one would think.
    I appreciate shops that offer transfers. It's very nice of them and it is a lot of extra work and responsibility to do them.

Anyways you're right, and one shoe doesnt fit all. Some shops charge upwards of $100 I've heard. Obviously they arent looking for new business through transfers lol. But I'm sure theres fools who pay it.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You plan on using them all up at GenCon?

Wait, is this a see something say something moment? :): (for those that dont understand purple=sarcasm, this is pure sarcasm. He wouldnt do this. Maybe punch a few idiots in the throat, but never THAT. )

Yep. If I recall, thats the decision that pretty much kills the advantage of online shopping being cheaper because no state sales tax is collected on the order. Expect ALL online orders in the near future to include state sales tax. Currently in IN you are not charged sales tax unless the online seller has a physical presence in the state, but you are legally responsible for claiming 100% of your online (tax free) purchases on your 1040-IN so that the state can collect the tax on those online purchases that were not taxed after the fact. You ARE listing all of your online ammo purchases on your state taxes, right? :whistle:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I should have clarified but trying to type out random thoughts i always forget somethjng.
    I agree that money does add up. And yeah the shops that charge the higher transfer fees might get more that way than for a gun and it's still better (maybe) than zero sure.
    What shops make on new and used guns is their business and even if I knew I wouldn't post about it. Its business practices and bad form to discuss in my opinion. But the transfer fees are obvious because people have to pay it. However I would hope a shop is getting more than $10-30 per gun they sell. I truly do.
    Transfers are mostly a courtesy for current customers but smart gun shop owners also use them to get new customers and the hope is to get people into the store and buy something else (like a marked up box of ammo) or holster ect. Or hopefully guns and other accessories especialy. It's a courtesy mostly though and the hope is repeat customers and gaining that loyalty of the customer. In the end thats what it's all about for a successful gun shop.
    That's the way I was meaning it. But yeah if you are banging out tons of transfers sure it's some nice extra cash as long as you have the manpower to handle it along with regular business. Customers inside the shop always get priority one would think.
    I appreciate shops that offer transfers. It's very nice of them and it is a lot of extra work and responsibility to do them.

Anyways you're right, and one shoe doesnt fit all. Some shops charge upwards of $100 I've heard. Obviously they aren't looking for new business through transfers lol. But I'm sure theres fools who pay it.

1. I use a very small local one-man shop located inside of a electronic repair shop near my house and it seems that it is a hassle with time to do FFL items for me or shipping a gun back to manufacturer. (only done 3 items in the past year with him)
    2. I've noticed he just can't keep up and doesn't get things done "same day." but, I'm usually not in a hurry so it doesn't matter to me too much b/c of the convenience.
    3. The shop being closed on Monday is more of a "pause" for me.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    Wait, is this a see something say something moment? :): (for those that dont understand purple=sarcasm, this is pure sarcasm. He wouldnt do this. Maybe punch a few idiots in the throat, but never THAT. )
    :

In all my years of teaching Games, and managing tournaments I never punched anyone.

Though there were a few people that I did ask to go away, because I was about to lose my temper and yell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom