• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gun Chooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jan 15, 2015
    Indianapolis
    So i went to the range this evening to try out some new loads, on the way out i noticed they had a couple of Ruger Americans hanging up. Asked to see one and was fairly disadisappointed at how sloppy the action felt. Very loose and cheap feeling imo. May not be a deal breaker but definately changed my view.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    The American is what it is, an entry level rifle and it's priced accordingly. The Guide gun in .450 is a much better rifle and stronger action, but you also pay a good amount more for it as well. But, the American will shoot minute of deer heart and so will the Guide gun.

I still would look for a 450 bushmaster/thumber upper receiver for an AR

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Since you intend to be hunting public land your rifle choices must meet the following specifications:
    1) Minimum bore diameter of .357
    2) Minimum case length (minus bullet) of 1.16"
    3) Maximum case length (minus bullet) of 1.8"

That's why handgun-caliber rifles and carbines have been the most popular choice for public land rifle hunting for the last 10-15 years or so.
    Allowed calibers you can use on public land that are available to use without modification include the likes of .357 Magnum, .44 Magnum, .454 Casull (for the few rifles chambered in it), .45 Colt, .450 Bushmaster, and .458 Socom.
    As was mentioned above, if you want to hunt on public land with anything that meets the first two specs, but exceeds the third spec (.444 Marlin .45-70, .35 Remington, etc.), you'll have to cut the case down to no longer than 1.8", a kludgy solution and not something that you said you're not ready to undertake just yet, given that you don't intend to reload for your hunting load yet.
    Now, if you have a family member or very good friend willing to allow you to hunt on land that he owns, your horizons expand dramatically to include rifle cartridges with the following specifications:
    1) Minimum bore diameter of .243
    2) Minimum case length of 1.16"
    3) Maximum case length of 3.0" (a measure to disallow yahoos from deer hunting with .50 BMG)
    4) No SBR, aka Short Barreled Rifles, even if fully legal via the NFA tax stamp
    5) On the bright side, if you have a properly stamped suppressor, it's legal for deer hunting with all firearms, be they handgun, shotgun, handgun-caliber rifle, or conventional centerfire rifle.
    6) You must have no more than ten rounds on your person.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Marlin 336 in .30-30 has taken many, many deer over the years. Many of them wear a scope. Good JM-stamped units are available under $400, though some do go up toward $600.

attachment.php

Nothing wrong with a scope on a Marlin.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    My buddy just retired his Rossi 92 stainless 44 mag and got a camp and stainless ruger m77 in 44 mag. He's loving it. I handled it. Besides the 74lb single stage trigger, it's a nice state land piece imo.

Gun Chooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jan 15, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Since you intend to be hunting public land your rifle choices must meet the following specifications:
    1) Minimum bore diameter of .357
    2) Minimum case length (minus bullet) of 1.16"
    3) Maximum case length (minus bullet) of 1.8"

That's why handgun-caliber rifles and carbines have been the most popular choice for public land rifle hunting for the last 10-15 years or so.
    Allowed calibers you can use on public land that are available to use without modification include the likes of .357 Magnum, .44 Magnum, .454 Casull (for the few rifles chambered in it), .45 Colt, .450 Bushmaster, and .458 Socom.
    As was mentioned above, if you want to hunt on public land with anything that meets the first two specs, but exceeds the third spec (.444 Marlin .45-70, .35 Remington, etc.), you'll have to cut the case down to no longer than 1.8", a kludgy solution and not something that you said you're not ready to undertake just yet, given that you don't intend to reload for your hunting load yet.
    Now, if you have a family member or very good friend willing to allow you to hunt on land that he owns, your horizons expand dramatically to include rifle cartridges with the following specifications:
    1) Minimum bore diameter of .243
    2) Minimum case length of 1.16"
    3) Maximum case length of 3.0" (a measure to disallow yahoos from deer hunting with .50 BMG)
    4) No SBR, aka Short Barreled Rifles, even if fully legal via the NFA tax stamp
    5) On the bright side, if you have a properly stamped suppressor, it's legal for deer hunting with all firearms, be they handgun, shotgun, handgun-caliber rifle, or conventional centerfire rifle.
    6) You must have no more than ten rounds on your person.

Thank you, great info and break down. And I didn't know suppressors were legal for deer. Any of the "no mod needed" cartridges worth suppressing? This could be an addition next year.

Gun Chooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jan 15, 2015
    Indianapolis
    My buddy just retired his Rossi 92 stainless 44 mag and got a camp and stainless ruger m77 in 44 mag. He's loving it. I handled it. Besides the 74lb single stage trigger, it's a nice state land piece imo.

Thanks a couple reviews I read on this rifle were mixed so I kind of moved the idea of this asside. The American is out of the running, I'll see if I can find a local shop that has the m77 and have a look.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    Yea, you will not be able to use "rifle" calibers on public land. Unless they changed the law, but i believe they did not. This being said, i think a 458 socom would be a nice AR upper. However, i do not believe that ammo is considered cheap...

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I'll put my vote in for .458 socum if you want an AR....or 44 mag in a lever action/handgun/multi-use.

Personally, I have .50 cal muzzleloader and a 44 mag for deer along with other calibers that don't apply to public lands.

How about an Remington XP-100 in 35 rem - just to different...

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Observe the path of the herd and take off at 90 degrees: Don't use brass.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Thank you, great info and break down. And I didn't know suppressors were legal for deer. Any of the "no mod needed" cartridges worth suppressing? This could be an addition next year.

Actually, the handgun caliber rifles that don't require case modification would benefit more from suppressors than conventional (.30-06, .270 Winchester, 7mm Remington Magnum, etc.) calibers because the bullets aren't going nearly as quickly and not making nearly as much supersonic commotion and because they don't consume as much powder to create as much muzzle blast.
    If you're willing and able to spend the coin for the suppressor and either find a rifle with a muzzle already threaded for one or have a rifle modified to add the essential threads and run the legal hurdles (tax stamp) for it, you'll definitely make a much quieter rifle for your own ears and to spook the woods less.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Marlin 336 in .30-30 has taken many, many deer over the years. Many of them wear a scope. Good JM-stamped units are available under $400, though some do go up toward $600.

attachment.php

Nothing wrong with a scope on a Marlin.

Not.....legal....public.....ground....

Thanks for the warning. Missed that one. So, go with the lower rifle in the photo, the 1894 in .357 magnum.

Gun Chooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jan 15, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I'll put my vote in for .458 socum if you want an AR....or 44 mag in a lever action/handgun/multi-use.

Personally, I have .50 cal muzzleloader and a 44 mag for deer along with other calibers that don't apply to public lands.

How about an Remington XP-100 in 35 rem - just to different...

I like the 458 but, cost of ammo. And generally "different" is costly as well. 44 is still a steong contender

Gun Chooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jan 15, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the warning. Missed that one. So, go with the lower rifle in the photo, the 1894 in .357 magnum.

Ruled out 357 a while ago due to the fact that every gun its chambered in i can get in 44 mag. And to my knowledge the 44 is superior for this application. This is based on reading only so correct me if im wrong.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    If you hunt in the woods I'd say a pre Remington Marlin 1894 or a Ruger 77/44 in 44 mag. I have both. They can sometimes be finicky about loads. A 357 at shorter distances. If you want to hunt open fields at a bit longer distances get a modern inline muzzle loader with a fast twist rifling for conical bullets and sabots. I think they can be more accurate past 100 yards. This for public land of course.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    I do both.

Yeah, me too. It's all good and it's all fun.

A third hand TC fifty cal muzzleloader rebored to fresh fast twist rifling is a mighty fine thing to behold.
    But if you do need to use brass .35 Remington and .45-70 sure are hard to beat.

Top Bottom