• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I used an H&R single in 357 Magnum for years and it's a laser beam, taken deer every year I used it with one shot. My hunting partner uses the 44 magnum version as well. I have a 30-06 but if I do hunt this year it will probably be with the 357.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Ruled out 357 a while ago due to the fact that every gun its chambered in i can get in 44 mag. And to my knowledge the 44 is superior for this application. This is based on reading only so correct me if im wrong.

Nah, I think you're correct in this. IMO, load matters more than caliber. With something thin skinned like deer, a JSP might not expand much, especially at longer ranges (100-150). Try something like a Barnes TSX or 300gr FTX. 300gr instead of 240, jmo.

Gun Chooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jan 15, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Leaning towards a .44 mag single shot as my budget seems to be shrinking. Looks like the CVA and Handi-Rifle are most popular. Anyone know how these stack up against each other?

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Leaning towards a .44 mag single shot as my budget seems to be shrinking. Looks like the CVA and Handi-Rifle are most popular. Anyone know how these stack up against each other?

Unless you get a Handi rifle used you're probably not going to find one since H&R discontinued them 3 or 4 years ago. The only thing they do is import Chinese shotguns

The CVAs are cheaper and from what I've seen actually have a little better fit and finish from the last production H&Rs and I've never heard of one that won't shoot. the CVA also has a better stock trigger

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Yeah, me too. It's all good and it's all fun.

A third hand TC fifty cal muzzleloader rebored to fresh fast twist rifling is a mighty fine thing to behold.
    But if you do need to use brass .35 Remington and .45-70 sure are hard to beat.

I'm thinking that a Contender or Encore pistol in a suitable rifle caliber would work nicely. 7mm-08 perhaps. Might be over budget, especially with a scope.

Gun Chooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jan 15, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Unless you get a Handi rifle used you're probably not going to find one since H&R discontinued them 3 or 4 years ago. The only thing they do is import Chinese shotguns

The CVAs are cheaper and from what I've seen actually have a little better fit and finish from the last production H&Rs and I've never heard of one that won't shoot. the CVA also has a better stock trigger

Boom, sounds like a done deal, thank you. I'll keep an eye out for an older h&r as well, especially if they all shoot like clfergus'.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Iooking for some info! Have a winchester 1897 id like to use for deer season this year. Anyone have a recomendation for ammo?? It seems to be an odd ball. Im sure someone here knows what to do. Thanks ingo!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Any good rifled slug will work in the 1897, it was my first deer gun back in 1970. The sabots don't perform as well in it, they do much better in the rifled barreled shotguns. Get out and shoot it so you know your grouping and accurate distance.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Any good rifled slug will work in the 1897, it was my first deer gun back in 1970. The sabots don't perform as well in it, they do much better in the rifled barreled shotguns. Get out and shoot it so you know your grouping and accurate distance.

Ive been reading about how the chamber might not be a true 2 3/4,? that it wont stand up to modern loads? Is their a special slug i should use that wont stress the frame? A lighter load perhaps? I tooke my first deer with it when i was 13 but dad picked all my anmmo and i have no recollection of what i used

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I would just get some generic 2 3/4 slugs and see how they chamber, if they go in smooth you should be OK. The Model 97 is a tough old gun.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I bought a Remington 243 last year and it is a fantastic rifle. I took deer at about 180 yards with it and they didn't take one step. I shoot 100 grain Hornady Whitetail ammo with fantastic results.

POC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 17, 2010
    West Baden, IN
    Hey all, looking for some recommendations for a new rifle for this years deer season. Ive looked at so many options but am indecisive as my experience with the guns im looking at is limited. Some key factors that im looking to find in this new rifle: moa to sub moa grouping, flat shooting from 0-100yds, hard hitter with great knock down power, and the ability to mount a low magnification optic. Some other things to consider are that id like it to be chambered in a semi-common round as to keep ammo cost down. Just got into reloading and probably wont start on this cartridge until next year. I also have no access to private land so public land regs apply. Ive been hunting with a 12 gauge my whole life and am looking to move on to somethingthat better suits me. With shotguns being out, im open to single shots, bolt guns, or maybe even a new AR upper. Not super keen on the idea of a muzzle loader. Thanks in advance for any input.

This thread needs to be posted here since the OP said public land. Looks like shotgun and ML only. https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...cartridges-not-allowed-state-public-deer.html

^^^^^^^^ This.
    I was going to say the same thing. I hope he didn't go out an blow a bunch on a nice "legal" rifle only to find out, like the rest of us, that it is now NOT "legal".

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    ^^^^^^^^ This.
    I was going to say the same thing. I hope he didn't go out an blow a bunch on a nice "legal" rifle only to find out, like the rest of us, that it is now NOT "legal".

That thread was closed. I believe it was all a dupe. I went to the DNR website and read everything I could find.

This is what I found. The changes do not affect regulations for other rifles previously allowed for deer hunting on public land.

Top Bottom