• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Marlin 336 in .30-30 has taken many, many deer over the years. Many of them wear a scope. Good JM-stamped units are available under $400, though some do go up toward $600.

attachment.php

Nothing wrong with a scope on a Marlin.

Not.....legal....public.....ground....

At first I did not question your assertion, but recently I have been reconsidering the question. It appears that the .30-30 Win is legal for deer in Indiana as of 2016. I am still researching it, but this article was published in The Herald on 10 October 2017 based on a DNR report dated 06 April 2016.

https://duboiscountyherald.com/b/dnr-offers-clarification-on-new-rifle-hunting-law

You will note the .30-30 is listed twice as a legal caliber for the Indiana deer season.

"The new legal cartridges include, but are not limited to, the .243 Winchester, .30-30 Winchester, .300 AAC Blackout, and .30-06 Springfield."

and

"Additional cartridges that are legal under HEA 1231 include, but are not limited to, the following:

• 6mm-06
    • 6mm BR Remington
    • 6mm PPC
    • 6mm Remington
    • .240 Weatherby
    • .243 Winchester
    • .243 Winchester Super Short Magnum
    • .30 Carbine
    • .30 Herrett
    • .30 Remington AR
    • .30-06 Springfield
    • .30-30 Winchester
    • .30-40 Krag
    • .300 AAC Blackout (.300 Whisper)
    • .300 H&H Magnum
    • .300 Remington Short Action Ultra Magnum
    • .300 Savage
    • .300 Weatherby Magnum
    • .300 Winchester Magnum
    • .300 Winchester Short Magnum
    • .300 Remington Ultra Magnum
    • .308 Marlin
    • .308 Winchester
    • 7.62x39mm
    • 7.62x54mmR"

The DNR website confirms this.

DNR gets clarification on new rifle law for deer hunting - 4/5/2016 - State of Indiana

While the .30-30 is not specifically stated as legal on public and private land, the implication is clear. The caliber is termed legal for the state, and since neither public not private are excluded, it follows that the caliber can be used on both. The DNR website specifically states "Rifles with pistol cartridges that have been allowed in previous years may still be used to hunt deer on both private and public land."

This suggested that the discussion of the newly legalized calibers are also permitted on both public and private land.

Given that the .30-30 is legal, I again assert that one of the best options for deer in Indiana is the Marlin 336 in .30-30.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    This suggested that the discussion of the newly legalized calibers are also permitted on both public and private land.

Given that the .30-30 is legal, I again assert that one of the best options for deer in Indiana is the Marlin 336 in .30-30.

Private ground only for 30-30 in a rifle, pistol on public ground should still be okay.

And to throw another cluster in Indiana's hunting regs, you now have to consider this

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...cartridges-not-allowed-state-public-deer.html

Typically, public ground the cartridge had to fall under a lot of different requirements, which the 30-30 as a rifle caliber, the bullet diameter was too small (not .357) and the case length was too long (over 1.8")

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    You know a safe bet that we used years ago that would still be good in this DNR rules cluster****. A good inline muzzle loader used to be the gun that would cover two and later three seasons.

rransford

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2016
    Elwood
    For those of you who are not aware, NO centerfire rifles, including ones that were previously legal, are to be used on public property. Shotgun will really be the only firearm that can be used. Hopefully this gets changed next year.

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    For those of you who are not aware, NO centerfire rifles, including ones that were previously legal, are to be used on public property. Shotgun will really be the only firearm that can be used. Hopefully this gets changed next year.
    No offence meant but you are incorrect. CF rifles with a minimum caliber of .358" who's case length DOESN'T exceed 1.8" are also public land legal. Cartridges like the .358 Hoosier and if you trim it down from 1.9" to 1.790" the 35 Remington CF rifle would also be public land legal. The 450 Bushmaster at 1.7" case length is also a public land legal CF rifle round. There are other .358" wildcats that are also public land legal.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    No offence meant but you are incorrect. CF rifles with a minimum caliber of .358" who's case length DOESN'T exceed 1.8" are also public land legal. Cartridges like the .358 Hoosier and if you trim it down from 1.9" to 1.790" the 35 Remington CF rifle would also be public land legal. The 450 Bushmaster at 1.7" case length is also a public land legal CF rifle round. There are other .358" wildcats that are also public land legal.

This was me yesterday. Go to general firearms discussion and click on No rifles on public land. Start at post #72
    Hate to say it. But you are as wrong today, as I was yesterday. It took me several hours of investigation, but I ate crow in the afternoon. The DNR regulations are incorrect.

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    A single shot CVA in 450 Bushmaster fits your requirements pretty well. Solid 150-175 yard deer cartridge ammo available OTC, and the rifle is reasonably priced and is about your least expensive option for a public land legal CF rifle.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    A single shot CVA in 450 Bushmaster fits your requirements pretty well. Solid 150-175 yard deer cartridge ammo available OTC, and the rifle is reasonably priced and is about your least expensive option for a public land legal CF rifle.

There are no legal center fire rifles in 2017 on public land. Big mistake made by legislators. You can take your chances and play ignorant with the DNR officer if you want. You should be okay. But you really need to click on this and read starting at #72 https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/g...blic-deer.html

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    OOPS my bad, I STAND CORRECTED! I just read and re-read the new rules about a dozen times and indeed once legal public land rifle calibers if I read correctly are now illegal? What was the sense in that? I can squirrel hunt on public land with ANY rifle caliber I wish but not deer? Government at it's best.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    OOPS my bad, I STAND CORRECTED! I just read and re-read the new rules about a dozen times and indeed once legal public land rifle calibers if I read correctly are now illegal? What was the sense in that? I can squirrel hunt on public land with ANY rifle caliber I wish but not deer? Government at it's best.

Yeah. I argued for a long time yesterday. Even the DNR website was still wrong yesterday. I actually called and spoke to a DNR officer.
    It's messed up. Hopefully they get it all fixed by next year, so don't sell any rifles.

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    Yeah. I argued for a long time yesterday. Even the DNR website was still wrong yesterday. I actually called and spoke to a DNR officer.
    It's messed up. Hopefully they get it all fixed by next year, so don't sell any rifles.

Know what you mean. I invested $1000+ in what WERE when I BOUGHT THEM Indiana PL legal CF rifles in 35 Remington for myself and my sons, so thank God I lucked into some private land so my new rifles won't be gathering dust come gun season. I am also equally glad I didn't trim hardly any 35 Remington brass from 1.9 down to 1.8" as 35 Remington brass is expensive and hard to come by.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    The Indiana Department of Natural Resources Facebook page had corrections to the hunting and trapping guide. Here is the entire post:

Important corrections to Indiana Hunting & Trapping Guide:
    Indiana deer and waterfowl hunters need to be aware of two important changes in the print version of the 2017-2018 Hunting & Trapping Guide.
    Due to recent legislation passed this year by the Indiana General Assembly, hunters can no longer use rifles when hunting deer on public land. “Public land” includes both state and federal property. Before the change, the use of rifles on public land had been legal.
    It remains legal to use a muzzleloader, shotgun or handgun when hunting deer on public land in accordance with deer hunting regulations.
    The waterfowl correction is that the daily bag limit for black ducks is two. The printed Hunting and Trapping Guide mistakenly states the bag limit as one. The online Indiana Hunting & Trapping Guide has been updated with these corrections. You can view the updated guide at wildlife.IN.gov/2343.htm
    For more information on rifle requirements for deer hunting on private land, visit wildlife.IN.gov/7389.htm and click on “Equipment.”
    For up to date information on waterfowl seasons, visit: wildlife.IN.gov/3569.htm

Top Bottom